anyone got any recipes for scottish kippers

Kippers are essentially cold smoked herrings so should not be too hard with a large smoker.The key would be to split the fish down the middle and brine overnight, then smoke at a very low temperature. ST or tommies would both work well.In a large smoker, keep the fish as far from the sawdust as possible, just get the sawdust smouldering then turn off the gas or heat source and let them slowly smoke at a low temp.Overnight if possible and top up the sawdust as it burns out. Try to keep the temp below 60 degrees if possible.Even easier in an electric smoker with temperature control and a timer.Few more tips herehttp://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=24167.0

I rekon kelvin is on the money there ,basically a smoked tommy ruff is very similar to a kipper ,unfortunately through over fishing true kippers now are hard to come buy from england or where the men in skirts live to the north ,i only have a toy smoker box but you have go me thinking now that if i smoke the tommies and then fry them in some butter it might be a very nice meal ,let us know how you get on .

oh and i did' date='nt have to smoke them as they were straight from the supermarket so they were already done 4 me[/quote']Got yaYou're asking for a recipe on how to utilize commercially made Scottish kippers such as those found in the frozen section in the supermarket. I think most interpreted your question as how to home replicate the Scottish kipper experience with local fish species and a smoker.I enjoy the odd meal of kippers whenever the wife is not home and usually grill them till cooked and eat hot with bread. I have also made a version of kedgeree with leftover rice, pieces of kipper, pepper and lemon juice. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/kipperkedgeree_87265Being a cold smoked and partially cooked fish product they need to be fully cooked, but once deboned, you could use them in any recipe for smoked fish. They would go good in a salad, dip, pasta, fish pie or with eggs.
oh and i did' date='nt have to smoke them as they were straight from the supermarket so they were already done 4 me[/quote']Got yaYou're asking for a recipe on how to utilize commercially made Scottish kippers such as those found in the frozen section in the supermarket. I think most interpreted your question as how to home replicate the Scottish kipper experience with local fish species and a smoker.I enjoy the odd meal of kippers whenever the wife is not home and usually grill them till cooked and eat hot with bread. I have also made a version of kedgeree with leftover rice' date=' pieces of kipper, pepper and lemon juice. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/kipperkedgeree_87265Being a cold smoked and partially cooked fish product they need to be fully cooked, but once deboned, you could use them in any recipe for smoked fish. They would go good in a salad, dip, pasta, fish pie or with eggs.[/quote']did them the same way as grilling them but with diced tomato and onion on top of the kippers with a squeeze of lemon

What is in haggis?

barley and offal and stuff.And are you on dial-up still? Google not working? :lol: "Haggis is a savoury pudding containing sheep's pluck (heart, liver and lungs); minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally encased in the animal's stomach and simmered for approximately three hours. Most modern commercial haggis is prepared in a sausage casing rather than an actual stomach."
  • 4 weeks later...
Ingredients:4 large herring fillets3 tablespoons butter1 lemon, juice of3 tablespoons whiskey4 tablespoons double cream1 dash Worcestershire sauceTabasco sauceclarified butterblack pepperDirections:1Grill kippers 6-7 mins either side.2When cool skin& and remove bones.3Put in liquidiser with softened butter.4Add lemon juice, whisky and black pepper and whisk to a smooth paste, Add cream worcestershire and tobasco and whisk briefly to mix.5Transfer to small ramekins and cover with a thin layer of clarified butter.6Chill till ready to use or freeze to use later.7Serve with toast or crackers. :d/ __________________________________Miami Beach Condominium