Winter Yellow Fin Whiting Log

Noting a few recent posts enquiring after Yellow Fin Whiting, I thought I would put up some general info regarding a species I have obsessed over for a while, along with a part log for this winter so far.Yellow Fin Whiting are available all year round.There are independent resident populations in the St Vincent Gulf, Spencer Gulf and in WA from Albany through to Shark Bay.The is no migration between populations.Yellow Fin Whiting follow the COLD WATER. At various times of the year you will find them in the part of the gulf that have their natural habitat, but were the water is COLDEST. So I track them all year round, up and down the gulf following the water temperature.By the start of April they would have disappeared from the Adelaide beaches and moved north. This catch was at the end of April in a "middle" part of the gulf. Flathead are a nice by catch, but disappear along with the baitfish when the water gets too cold. he7cf30e_2013-08-17.jpgHowever Yellow Fin whiting are still found in the cool water shallows. I manage regular catches through May and June. But it is the Bloodworm runs that really concentrate their numbers into the shallows. And it is then that the better size fish are more abundant. This catch was in the middle of the July bloodworm run.he8e12ac_2013-08-17.jpgAnother bag at the end of Julyhc886a9c_2013-08-17.jpgThis bag in the middle of the August Bloodworm runhcdcfd5b_2013-08-17.jpegAnd I recently managed to find a day with light winds! Which resulted in this bag.h4142c1e_2013-08-17.jpgNow it is not just us recreational fishers that get stuck into the Yellow Fin Whiting in winter. The graph below from a study in 2000 shows the large majority of the professional catch taken in winter months.hdbfc11c_2013-08-17.pngCheers Des

Thanks a heap des.! I'm on long service leave and was thinking about doing some lb fishing Tuesday , u got me all fired up to go and target my fav fish now. I'm restricted to metro though as my car has crapped itself and being repaired any little hints ;) or is it worth heading out to port gawler and rope in a mate

So going by the top pic' date=' the waters off of south west K.I. are approx 23 degrees during winter?[/quote']Not quite, as the scale is different in the summer map and the winter map. However that is where the warmest water is in winter. It is influenced by the Lueewin current feeding warm water across the bight and under KI.h843de91.jpgThe pic below shows the current temps from earlier this week;h2b30a53.pngThis is the website that provides the maps;http://oceancurrent.imos.org.au/Adelaide/2013081704.htmlGo to the date index tab and compare water temperatures from different times of the year.Cheers, Des
  • 3 years later...