Spooling with Power Pro

GDay all,just bought myself another Shimano Symetre FL 2500$40 for a 150m spool of 10lb Power pro Braid. Thought i could probably do better price wise and after looking around can probably save $10. As every dollar saved can be spent on other things.My question is what would i expect to pay at a Tackle store to get it done from a bulk spool?Cheers Damian

Made a call for ya mate as it was a while ago for me. 20 cents a yard of PP at SFS, so 200yd = $40.Got One Stepney, Sufix 832 was 30cents a yard.SFS sell spools of PP 150yds for $30. but all depends on how much your reel spool holds. Best buy it from the bulk spool as you only pay for the amount you need/use.

GDay all' date='just bought myself another Shimano Symetre FL 2500$40 for a 150m spool of 10lb Power pro Braid. Thought i could probably do better price wise and after looking around can probably save $10. As every dollar saved can be spent on other things.My question is what would i expect to pay at a Tackle store to get it done from a bulk spool?Cheers Damian[/quote']I normally use SFS for bulk Power Pro. Last lot they were out of stock so went to Tackleworld who also have it in bulk spools but at $0.22 / metre. I always get spooled up from the bulk spools for a couple of reasons;They always get the tension right all the way through the spool. Important with braid.You get the maximum amount of line onto your spool, all the way upto the lip. Usually they will put on the mono backing free of charge. They generally know how much is needed. You wind up always getting a full spool as they will add an extra 10-20 metres if needed to fill the spool. You may need 170mt rather than a standard 150mt to fill your spool.I would always use the bulk spool service.Cheers, Des
How does power pro hold its colour' date='is it better than fireline and some others that are bright at the start then the colour washes out pretty quickly afterward. B)[/quote']I have had 10LB yellow Power Pro on my 2500 Sedona for 15 months now with moderate to heavy use.Still the degree of yellow as the day I bought it..Hope this helps? TT

Thanks guys, i decided to go to my local tackle store for a couple of reasons.1. they can do a better job than me backing with mono,2. I dont have any leftovers that will go to waste.3. Reel takes a lot more braid than stated on the specs.4. Had to get out of the house. Have been going Mad with this weather.End result $20 for 197mCheersDamian

Thanks guys' date=' i decided to go to my local tackle store for a couple of reasons.1. they can do a better job than me backing with mono,2. I dont have any leftovers that will go to waste.3. Reel takes a lot more braid than stated on the specs.4. Had to get out of the house. Have been going Mad with this weather.End result $20 for 197mCheersDamian[/quote']sounds like dorsal fin to me :)
Damo' date=' any chance of giving this tackle store a plug cause that's a bloody good price you got and share the details of the braid?Thanks.[/quote']I dont think im allowed to on here as they arent a site sponsor.Have been going to my local tackle shop for 40 yrs. have had good relationships with the past two and current owner. Im not suggesting thats retail just looking after a good customer.
Thanks guys' date=' i decided to go to my local tackle store for a couple of reasons.1. they can do a better job than me backing with mono' date='2. I dont have any leftovers that will go to waste.3. Reel takes a lot more braid than stated on the specs.4. Had to get out of the house. Have been going Mad with this weather.End result $20 for 197mCheersDamian[/quote'']sounds like dorsal fin to me :)
Wrong end of town for me. Would have cost me that in fuel to get there.

This is not a "restricted site, nor a controlled one"Feel free to tell who you used...You never know, they could end up with more customers.It is always good to hear what Tackle Shops look after the customers.You only have to read a few of the threads on here!!! and they are not Site Sponsors either..

This site doesnt restrict from plugging non sponsors mate' date=' but was it indeed Dorsals?[/quote']No. i live at Seacliff. As i said i have been going there for what seems forever and spending my hard earned. By the looks of it it may have been the deal of the century? Never to be repeated? I may pop in ask if they want it mentioned as I may even get banned if this gets out! :unsure:Maybe the moral of the story is to support your local smaller based tackle stores, spend some money , keep coming back and im sure whoever it is in this day of shopfront vs Internet will be keen for your patronage and reward your loyalty every now and then.

ah Ok, if its the store Im thinking, it is quite small and Ive always got good service there. Could it be a place where a long term fishing journo works part time?.I have read else where that DF have bulk spools of cheap china braid to spool customers reels if people are really penny pinching.Plus, the fake Power Pro epedemic has reared its head again, with plenty of it sold on ebay.I actually got some by accident a few years back when buying cheap ebay braid, wasnt half bad for the cash :laugh:

This site doesnt restrict from plugging non sponsors mate' date=' but was it indeed Dorsals?[/quote']No. i live at Seacliff. As i said i have been going there for what seems forever and spending my hard earned. By the looks of it it may have been the deal of the century? Never to be repeated? I may pop in ask if they want it mentioned as I may even get banned if this gets out! :unsure:Maybe the moral of the story is to support your local smaller based tackle stores' date=' spend some money , keep coming back and im sure whoever it is in this day of shopfront vs Internet will be keen for your patronage and reward your loyalty every now and then.[/quote']I'm sure they wouldn't mind one bit if it means more sales. People would walk in looking to get a reel or two spooled and probably walk out with other items they didn't intend to buy. That's what happens in my world :laugh:
ah Ok' date=' if its the store Im thinking, it is quite small and Ive always got good service there. Could it be a place where a long term fishing journo works part time?.I have read else where that DF have bulk spools of cheap china braid to spool customers reels if people are really penny pinching.Plus, the fake Power Pro epedemic has reared its head again, with plenty of it sold on ebay.I actually got some by accident a few years back when buying cheap ebay braid, wasnt half bad for the cash :laugh:[/quote']yes
This site doesnt restrict from plugging non sponsors mate' date=' but was it indeed Dorsals?[/quote']No. i live at Seacliff. As i said i have been going there for what seems forever and spending my hard earned. By the looks of it it may have been the deal of the century? Never to be repeated? I may pop in ask if they want it mentioned as I may even get banned if this gets out! :unsure:Maybe the moral of the story is to support your local smaller based tackle stores' date=' spend some money , keep coming back and im sure whoever it is in this day of shopfront vs Internet will be keen for your patronage and reward your loyalty every now and then.[/quote']I'm sure they wouldn't mind one bit if it means more sales. People would walk in looking to get a reel or two spooled and probably walk out with other items they didn't intend to buy. That's what happens in my world :laugh:
Always been very happy with Brighton Tackle.Actually ran into John this morning who was the owner before Todd who had it before the currenty owner who's surname happens to be WHITING.

I'm a huge fan of Power Pro.My last lot was a 300 yard spool of 65lb Power Pro Super 8 Slick braid. Its an 8 weave braid which makes it great for casting.I know its naughty but i got it direct from the U.S. delivered for $40.Having said that i still spend quiet a lot at my local tackle shop as well as Australian online tackle shops.I'm quiet a fan of Tackleworld Adelaide Metro's online store.