light mulloway outfit advice please

Hello folks,Noticed some good deals around so like to piece a light mulloway outfit when inside the coorong starts up agian.Im after an boat outfit for plastic/lures work that i can shift over to bait when i get fed up with flicking lures. What are people using?I like to fish light 'cause its more fun but not overly light 'cause i still like to catch a few.Was looking at: Raider mexican fire II Snapper Lt 732, 4-7kg, 7-21g. ($89+15 @ Mo's)Raider Travel Inshore Snapper Spin 703 5-8 kg, 10-30g. ($119 @ Ray & Annes,3pc would be handy for traveling)Starlo stix stp pro MaxSpin 722, 4-7kg, 12-28g. ($84.95+10 @ sneakyfisho)Matched with a Symetre FL 3000/4000 ($119 @ BCF); 15/20lb braid. However decided this is probably an overkill for 'light mulloway' and probably better suited for snapper!My current outfit for light lure & bait work (wading for YFW, ST,flatties; pencil float off rocks ect): Jewel 762 1-4kg. Had a Sedona 2500,6lb braid but fell on the OH breakwater and broke it (& myself)! :( Currently using older Sienna 2500 with spool swapped over, 'cause they're the same size.Sienna was part of a combo on a Catana Estury Spin 662 3-5kg, a rod i'm not using..... Figured i'd be better off wacking a Symetre FL 2500/3000 with 10lb braid on the Catana for light mully work? I have found it a bit short for lure work, but could change it out latter if needed.Also want to replace my broken Sedona (sienna back as a spare again) either with a 2500 and the old spool of 6lb, giving me a spare spool. Thinking a a 1000 might be better balanced? I see 150m of line as heaps for what i generlly use the jewel for. Unless i use it for an uber light mully outfit as well, where the 2500 would be better?Thoughts Please.Cheers.UP.

Hey bud, I used my bream set up when I went chasing mullies in the Coorong. Shimano Mex Raider 722 finesse bream 1-4kg, with a Stradic 1000FJ and 5lb powerpro BiteMotion. I have only caught fish up to 51cm (PB) but haven't hooked any bigger ones. They are a really good fight on the ultra light bream stick.I would suggest a Symetre 2500FL and a maybe a Shimano Sahara 2-4kg rod. Or a Raider 2-4kg rod.

I would go with the symetre 2500 with 5lb power pro or 10lb sunline super pe.Most of the shimano 2500s can run 3000 spool aswell. So you could buy a 3000 spool to go with your 2500 and run 15lb on it.In terms of the rod I would go a 3-5 or 3-6 kg over a 1-4 or 2-4kg. Around the 7ft markA 3-5 Gives you the option of casting a heavier lure if needed, and will be more versatile. Eg. Be able to use snapper fishing.What's your budget if you don't mind me asking?

I use the jewel 1-4 kg matched with an exage or ecooda 2500 for onk mullys my pb went 88cm 12plus kg was a great fight on 10 pound main line and 20 pound leader. for the mullys in the coorong what you have is fine you may just come up against an unstoppable one though which you might be able to stop if you had a 2-4kg or a 3-6 kg . I rate my jewel highly unfortunately I have snapped it 3 times not through fishing

was rather lucky with it mate.... after catching mullies with the heavier gear on Ardrossn jetty... i thought for fun i would chuck out a small squidhead on the light gear.... was good fun the stradic got a fair workout.... it didnt put up much fight which is odd. probably lucky in that sense

The other posts are pretty much spot on, 2-4 Kg or thereabouts is perfect for 95% of Coorong Mulloway. You could go heavier if you are only after the larger fish but the lighter rods and reels suit the majority of situations. Normally a 4-7 Kg snapper rod would be overkill.If I only had one combo for Coorong mulloway it would be a 2000/2500 sized reel, a 2-4 Kg bream rod matched to 6lb braid with a 12-20lb leader.Hope this helps! :) Regards,SB

The rods you've suggested would be perfect 'underpants'.If you're planning on releasing/tagging them there's no point prolonging the fight to exhaustion. Jewie's can be a little finicky releasing at times so id advise minimising fight time whilst still having fun. A photo at the end and all is good :) If you're gonna keep them then disregard the above! In addition id add some more rodsshimano raider snapper 4-7kg or samaki Allure 10-15lb or starlo classix 762 snapper 5-8kg are the first few of cheaper rods that come to mind but all capable. Reels capable of holding around 200m of 10-15lb braid would suit.

Ive been getting a heap of mullies on my 3-6KG Control Freak and 3000 Shimano Ultegra. This has power to burn and I know if I hook anything of size I will be able to control it no problem.Im currently just running 8lb Fireline and 8lb leader and this set up catches me Big Bream and plenty of schoolies in the Onk.h0acc115.jpgBut this set up is equally at home in the CoorongBut obviously if you wanted a budget outfit, you couldnt go wrong with a decent Shimano 2500 and 2-5kg stick. The extra kilo or two in rod rating allows you to steer fish around known rocks in the river or sunken snags.

I caught my first' date=' 81cm on a 1-2 kg rod with 4lb line and 2lb leader. was pretty nervous though.[/quote']I got my first, 85cm, on a 12-24kg rod with 30lb line and 80lb leader, but that's what happens when you need a 6oz grapnel sinker to keep your bait where you want it. :laugh: Although I was still a bit nervous until it was up on the beach, being my first and all. B) Underpants, have a look at the Daiwa generation black rods as well, really nice for the money, I've got an Itchy Twitchy that is great for lightweight sp and hb work, but the Wild Weasel might be more what you're looking for.
Go down to Sports Fishing Scene & ask for Darren' date=' if not Ian, they will be happy to go through the different rods to suit your price range with ya & that way you get a rod that suits you & fishing style. The latest rods are just about to hit the shelfs. B)[/quote']Like Moggy says, I have been here as well and bought gear, and let me say..You get to put your hands on every outfit, that are thinking of buying, you also get professional input from the Team there, not all stores let you load up rods, so you can "really get the feel" for how it is going to behave.... +1 for the SFS at Cavan....

How do you find the Revo Smokey? Had a Feel in BCF and they were crazy light.

very light, sensative and an excellent cast. I liked the 1-4kg rod so much i got the 4-7kg rod and put a 2500 shimano baitrunner on it for live baiting in the lake. only thing i dislike about the rod is the casting butt length, being a short bloke i find it annoying having the rod butt pressed right up against me. good rod if you're above 6ft high or have long arms.