G'day guys. I'm looking into making my own burley blocks, I'm sure alot of you also do this. Just wondering what are some things you do and don't mix up to put in there? Not asking for your secret mixes either B)At the moment I'm just using tuna oil with pellets but wouldn't mind putting some fish frames to use and also freezing blocks for the surf. I'm mainly chasing mullet, whiting, snook, salmon and snapper from the kayak. Thanks a lot guys

The squid heads will be in fine, in fact chuck any type of food in the mix, it doesn't really matter. The cheap (black & gold) style dry dog and cat food grinds up nicely too and helps increase the volume of your burley mix too. When I make up a batch of burley I just go through the cupboards and freezer and pull out any food stuff that's out of date and add to any old bait and burley I have, as well as adding a nice amount of tuna oil. I really don't think most fish are overly concerned as to what exactly is in the burley. So long as it sends out a scent and visually has some bit's and pieces floating in it, you will have fish sniffing it out and swimming up through the trail.

Last time I made a fried rice with prawns in it, i bought the big raw king prawns and shelled and deheaded them myself. I froze all the shells and scraps, and chucked them out next time I went out to the lake for some Bream. A big school of KGW whiting turned up and we scored 7 before they demolished all the prawn shells and disappeared. So if you eat prawns or anything like that keep the scraps and mix them in. Nothing goes to waste either which is another plus :)

• 3 months later...

Depending on what your targeting, but if you are chasing bottom fish substitute tuna oil and aniseed oil with ( this May sound crazy ) but FISH SAUCEthis doesn't float ! So if your targeting snapper the fish sauce stays at the bottom and drifts along instead of just floating to the surface ? I was shown this trick bout three year ago and it made a substantial difference to my catches