Tide information?

Hi guys,Not sure if anyone knows the answer or wondering the same themselves but how come tide here is always above 0m. I understand that a 2.3m high is 2m above a 0.3m low, but what is the 0.3m above? Is it the tide level at the equator, or is it something completely different?Also why can a tide here have say a 1m variation, but up Broome way there is a 10m variation (rough figures)? Last but not least what causes a dodge tide. My guess is the position of the moon and its pull but why can it stay near one level for say 12 hours when a tide normally changed roughly every 6?Thanks heaps in advance guys

Tide is usually measured from mean low tide, that's what 0m means, so 2.3m means that the water is that much higher than where it is at the average low tide.The amount of water in a tide change has to do with latitude and also the local morphology (think I used that word correctly), that is the shape of the shoreline, so features like bays, gulfs and straits have an effect.From what I understand about the dodge tide it has something to do with a difference in tides inside and outside of our long narrow gulfs.