Flathead spikes

Gday Boys n gals im gonna make an effort this year and target flathead more often, never caught one before but was wondering if speared by the spikes they have on there side and tail i think, is it just a painful experience?? Not poisonous at all?? Just incase i or someone else in my boat happens to catch and get speared by one i no what to do, i wont need to return to ramp to get medical attention? I had a mate a long long time ago tell me he got speared and it was one of the most painfull experiences he had but he just kept his hand in the seaswater for a longtime, anyway just after advice

Never been spiked too deeply yet from a flattie, so haven't suffered the intense pain that others might have.However I have heard of a rumour that if you smear the guts from the flathead you have caught over the wound, that this is supposed to alleviate the pain.I think I read that in a fishing book somewhere.Other members might have more info.

Never been spiked too deeply yet from a flattie' date=' so haven't suffered the intense pain that others might have.However I have heard of a rumour that if you smear the guts from the flathead you have caught over the wound, that this is supposed to alleviate the pain.I think I read that in a fishing book somewhere.Other members might have more info.[/quote'] The slime rub alleviates the pain almost instantly. Amazing. ;)

I was always told that rubbing the wound on the belly of the flathead stops bleeding an alleviates pain, any way, It's pretty damn hard to get spiked unless you step on one.The spines are just behind the eye sort of area near the gills, they're pretty hard to see but if you handle them with care you wont get spiked.NickD

Hi all,At risk of sounding like a wanker, I think the spikes have an anti-coagulate on them. This means it stops your blood from clotting and you bleed for ages. I reckon I also read or heard the slime from the flathead helps stop the bleeding? Go figure, problem and solution all in one. Lucky they're so bloody delicious!Dan C

Yes I have heard that the slime is the remedy . However I have never been unfortunate enough to find out if it works!I regularly wade the Northern Sand flats for flathead and soon found out.Always use a landing net and a pair of lip grippers.If you use your hands, and this was only a 48cm fish that I thought I could easily handle, then this is what happens with their raspy teeth. 120426-3pThumb.jpgCheers, Des

Yes I have heard that the slime is the remedy . However I have never been unfortunate enough to find out if it works!I regularly wade the Northern Sand flats for flathead and soon found out.Always use a landing net and a pair of lip grippers.If you use your hands' date=' and this was only a 48cm fish that I thought I could easily handle, then this is what happens with their raspy teeth. [attachment=16101']120426-3pThumb.jpg[/attachment]Cheers, Des

With some of the lizards you catch Des you're lucky you haven't lost an arm! :)

Sounds very similar to snakes ( which i keep ) the saliva in there mouth thins human blood so even a little bite from them looks like an emergency ward from the amount of bloodhaha some good remedies, i can see it now, after using several remedies and mate still in pain, ill say i got one more trick to help the pain go away and ill unzip my fly, yep i reckon that will work hahahaha

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah your rite dan c they do. Way it works is when they spike you there skin folds back to reveal a small grove which has a small venom gland.Got told by an old timer one time I got spiked to get there belly slime and rub it and I tell you what it works :clap: One last thing best way to hold them is to grab them firmly between the two fins on their sides I call it the non slip no flip flatty grip :fishing: Liam

• 10 years later...
On 09/09/2013 at 8:33 PM, Trouta said:

Gday Boys n gals im gonna make an effort this year and target flathead more often, never caught one before but was wondering if speared by the spikes they have on there side and tail i think, is it just a painful experience?? Not poisonous at all?? Just incase i or someone else in my boat happens to catch and get speared by one i no what to do, i wont need to return to ramp to get medical attention? I had a mate a long long time ago tell me he got speared and it was one of the most painfull experiences he had but he just kept his hand in the seaswater for a longtime, anyway just after advice

They have toxins and it is quiet painful you bleed more from the spikes on a flatty than a crab nip