BIGGEST BREAM FROM WEST LAKES!

I've heard a story from my mate that he witnessed a man land a massive 55cm-65cm from west lakes at the Bower rd end! He was using snapper gear and had pilchard cubes as bait! I didn't believe it but i wanna know if anybody else has seen or landed a bream like that from west lakes? My biggest from the lake is only 32cm... :(

The only time I have heard of massive Bream 50cm or more being caught was from the Coorong many years ago, but I am not sure they were as big as 55cm.Can Bream even get that big, considering the amount of fishing pressure they would get by commercial fishos in the Coorong, and recreationals in West Lakes??Knowing that a Bream that big would be something like 40 years old, do they even live that long??A 55cm Bream would most likely end up in a fishing mag brag board or website somewhere in this digital age almost as soon as it was caught, guaranteed.So the best bet these days Alex, unless you see the proof, don't believe the hype.Steve

a bit before your time but was quite common to catch 45cm+ Bream under the Jervois bridge previous to the port development when there was more warf structure and a yacht mooring adjacent, i myself pulled a 56cm on half a pilchard, unfortunately no digital camera at that time.. was even more common to pull 60+cm models around the back of torrens island back in the day..

More likely to be a small mullie. Did your mate ID the fish? My best from the lake is only 41cm.If a 55cm+ bream was caught from westlakes' date=' there would be heaps of pics.[/quote']Yeah, he saw a dude catch it. It wasn't him but he didn't have a camera. The guy who caught it wasn't even surprised! He just chucked it onto the bank.

Back in the early 70's I caught a huge bream under the Torrens Island bridge on a live mullet intended for mulloway, its tail was sticking out of a twenty litre white bucket and at a guess it might have gone 50+ (but I didn't measure it). When I first saw it I thought it was a snapper, but definitely a big black bream on closer inspection. It swam away to fight another day after a few minutes reviving boat side, and I have never seen one as big since. If one was caught over 55, it would have been impressive, not something that you would just toss on the bank, especially now when fish like that are scarcely caught at all. If its true, then that's another story and a great catch, but still deserving of better treatment.regards snapdragin

Back as the soft plastic craze started (during the initial squidgy marketing) I caught my largest ever bream just north of the italian restaurant. We had caught quite a few just over 40cm when I caught my largest ever and still is to this day of 48cm. All the fish were released and this happened in an August, close to 10 years ago now :whistle: .It would not surprise me if there is larger fish schooling together. 55-65 I'd need to see a photo to believe it.

Used to see quite a few 50+ bream patrolling the pylons of most West Lakes foot bridges 10 - 12 years ago. Used to see schools of 30-40cm fish just hangin out then occasionally a beast that dwarfed them all would swim thru the school and scatter the lot of them lol was great viewing. Myself and Leethal were hitting up the entrance pipe area early one morning when a bloke pulled a monster on a whole pilly whilst mully fishin, easily the biggest bream ive ever seen the bloody thing took up nearly the whole bottom area of one of those frequently used crabbing tubs you see floating behind the rakers, remember standing there and could not get over the size of this fish. Was def a shame to see it dying there forsure woulda been old as. Also witnessed a 50cm fish caught off the old wharf next to the Jervois bridge on a squidgy wriggler in the dark around the same period of time I reckon.

My best from the lakes is only 38cm. But when I started my bream on lure fishing back in 99 I'd normally get 40cm+ fish from the port and like someone else said when squidgies first came out I was getting maybe five between 40-50cm a sesh. My biggest went 54cm trolling the smallest size stump jumper in pink and purple along the edge of the fishermans market wharf. Spewing couldn't afford a camera back then (was only 14) and no phone cameras either!

As one of the ex big bream fishers on this forum said years ago on another forum, every bream system in SA has 50+ fish in it ;) I've done my digging around and there have been many more caught than people think. They just don't get posted so often nowadays, as the bait brigade go and fish them out as soon as they get wind of spots... :(

• 2 months later...
There's heaps of massive bream that size in the lakes... They usually school just under the kingfish' date=' and feed off the scraps left by the 10 foot plus bronze whalers that follow them. Or so I've heard.[/quote']what? kingfish and bronzies in the lake' date=' man dunno which lake your talking about ay[/quote']The lake of sarcasm... :dry:
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Look I have never caught a large bream in west lakes . I've never seen sharks in west lakes . I've had my legs hit by fish wouldn't say they were sharks . I've sat next to guys who have a mate with a bronze whaler caught at point misery one of the places I used to wade years ago fly fishing .

But the same area years when fly fishing I've seen huge bream couldn't get a hit .

Other spots I've fished I've hooked big bream got them to the edge seen them spit the lure .

We can argue but some have seen large fish im thinking bait guys have caught them back in the day when you didn't measure fish .

Me in still trying to get a 40 cm only got 38cms not in the lake . And where I've caught them I've seen bigger and I've landed mullieway seen a rather big flattie nothing it would take but I've seen pictures of them caught .

But it's about luck IMHO

About six years ago i was down the bower rd end of lake without any fishing gear and seen a school basking in the sun near the rope with the bouys on it.there would have been 50 odd bream ranging from high 30s to mid 40s all right near the surface minding there own biz. Dont know about 50cm but im sure they exist. My biggest went 43cm in some skinny water over KI. It seen a school of big bream cruising around and im sure my 43cm fish was one of the smaller ones. I also think people may mistake the silhouette of rugger snapper as XOS bream. I would like to be proven wrong but im yet to see a 50cm bream on a brag matt

Pontoons in the lake attract some big bream. Have caught about ten 40+

My pb in the lake 45cm

breambo.jpg

My pb yet from Port Gawler Creek

49cm

breampb1.jpg

Yes I have gone through all the emotions for not owning a brag mat yet lol I measured the points from this picture when I got home after that session five times.

The shortest was 49.3 and the longest 49.6. A brag mat probably would put this fish over 50cm because of the waves in the mat.

Will be buying one soon because I want to enter a few comps between now and next winter :)

All my 38s have not come from west lakes I've seen bigger caught .

I've seen 50cm plus coming after a tiny hardbody I bought from a store once the top water went flat this big bugger went back .

I know I didn't post that in my post above but they

Are around somewhere

Hell I've landed 40cm mullieway in hardbodies bream it's like I've kicked a black cat lol

Some nice bream there fellas. I used to fish alot for bream and grew up fishing spots like the old beswicks boatyard slipways, cement company wharfs, sugarwharfs and jervois and other spots. Only pulled tiddlers out of the lake unfortunately, hahaha. Back then measurements weren't so important to us but we did land some honkers over 2kg as a guess. Biggest I ever saw was too big to turn around in a 40 litre tub and was caught by my mate. Not sure of the length but a true monster for sure. Cheers