BIGGEST BREAM FROM WEST LAKES!

For what it's worth........I actually operated an excavator when the lakes were first dug back in the early 70's. I was a keen fisho back then and knew that with the tidal system that was to operate in the lake, there would inevitably be little and then big fish in there.  In '75 I fished almost daily In July from Towpath reserve just before dark when tides were right. Using a surf rod I could cast right out to the middle of the lake (where I had previously dug a deliberate hole around twenty feet deeper than the lake bottom!  The best night I had was 22 bream of 2kg to 3kg and a few thrown back.

The best bream I caught was a monster of just under 10lb in the old scale, not sure of its length but it was big!  A pic of it was posted by Robert from Grant's tackle shop in the Mail or local rag from memory.  I suppose that hole has filled by now and I haven't fished there for years but I'd bet if some of you young blokes get down there and can reach the centre of the lake with your bait, you will get a feed. I used prawns almost exclusively btw.  

Back in the 80s my mate had a good day on the bream in the lake. On his way home he stopped by my mum's to show me the fish. All good size with two horses in there. I did not measure them but I did weigh them on the kitchen scales. Just recently I found an old photo of the 5 fish laying on my mum's kitchen lino with the weights of the two biggest written on the back of the photo, the biggest went 4lb 7oz and the next one went 3lb 10oz. Don't know how long they would have been but they were the biggest bream I have ever seen caught. Pity we didn't put a ruler or some reference next to the fish when the photo was taken. We also used to snorkel in the lake in the early days and on the SW corner of Delfin Island (no houses there at the time) we would see some massive bream resting in clumps or balls of weed. Occasionally we could grab their tails but they always broke free easily. These fish were huge bream. So I have no doubt at all that there are very large bream in the lake at the current time, they do not get that size by being stupid either, I suspect they are very timid and cautious.

• 3 years later...