The "Sabre" phenomenon

Can some one explain to me what the deal is?Ive never seen one , let alone fished with one, but can someone explain why this brand of rod is so sought after? They are constantly being bought and sold and talked up. Whats the go with them?Are they an old school rod made form fiberglass, or are they still making them?Just curious that's all, enlighten me? :)

the 540 being the equvielent to the 5120 right??my understanding is that these rods ceased manufacutre in about 2004-05.they were believed to be stronger and lighter.i think it is like the Shimano Baitrunner B series. For me the B series was the first fishing reel i "loved" to use. it is still a 'go to' for me. I believe that people see the sabre in this context as well.My custom rod, competitor to the sabre i guess, is the ROdworks series. I will choose these over any other surf rod as i have had good experiences with them.

the 540 being the equvielent to the 5120 right??

Nah the 540 is a tougher heavier blank than a 5120.All this talk about lightness in big surf rods puzzles me a bit,who stands there holding a rod theyve thrown out with 6 ounces of lead and half a salmon fillet on it?in the surf most cases its cast it out set the drag and put it in a rod stand,the only time you actually hold the rod is casting,winding in to rebait or playing a fish.I have the new latest and greatest,sensor surfs ect and give me a 540 anyday.There was an eb 540 set up for an overhead for sale on here somewhere,i pmed the guy about it and never got a reply ??

I've got a few sabres and love them. My gf540 overhead is great for casting big baits and sinkers in the surf. Whilst I don't have any of the new graphite surf rods, I would worry about loading them up with big baits/sinkers. Also have a 196 6 1/2 overhead that is great on snapper and have caught some big Spanish mackerel up north on it. Mate has a 195-6 that is his go to rod for YP whiting. Built up a 196-7 thread line as per Australian Rod Crafter recipe, mate uses it down Glenelg river live baiting mulloway and off Port Mac and loves it. I think it's a case of blokes that have sabres love them and blokes that don't wonder what the fuss is about!

Sabre is legendary in the gamefishing scene . Sabre shut up shop sometime ago and the guy who has the recepie for the blends went to business and called them selves seeker or sabre seeker.Sabre changed gamefishing with there legendery sabre strokers and were the and my opinion still are the bees knees in fishing rods. Sabre particularly here in Sa aren't sold on the shelves these days as people don't buy custome quality rods anymore with the factory rods these days are pretty good value for money.U can still buy blanks and get them custom built if you are prepared to built a quality original rod that will last a life time.You can't compare a Sensor surf to a 540 Sabre the sabre wins hands down.The top game sticks in my opinion are Sabre , status and calstar.I have a few and would never part with them..And if you reckon there to heavy harden up haha.

Cool, I think I get it. So much the same as Snyderglass then ' they dont make them like that anymore ' type of scenario..Pix, this thread needs pix!! Id like to see some of these things, loaded up and inflicting pain on all!! and of course the capture.from the sounds of it, may require the scanning of some polaroids tho :)

Pix' date=' this thread needs pix!! Id like to see some of these things, loaded up and inflicting pain on all!! and of course the capture.[/color']from the sounds of it, may require the scanning of some polaroids tho :)

by the contrary Sirhad heard so much about these rods and had to have one for myself and built to sit my Calcutta 400 on it B) Sabre EG 196-6 o/h blankcustom built black with purple bindings and all tha bling bitz ya could want purpose built for whiting and enough balls to handle a decent snapper http://youtu.be/Xs1v7ZQt5R4+ you just don't hear any bad stories about em cheers 4THA

Talked up.... Sabre540 is rubbish.

Why would u say that Softy??.I'm sure all mulloway fisherman particularly all the lure fisherman down the Murray mouth who are still using the same rods from 20yrs ago still catching big Jews on them...Don't tell me ur a sensor surf man lol...very uneducated bad call Softy in my opinion.. :sick:

Just wanted to reply to a couple of statements in some of these replies.A surf rod that will throw 6oz and bait can't compare to a Sensor surf as none of the models on offer will handle that sort of weight. It doesn't mean the Sensors are bad rods, I have one that is rated to throw 2-4oz and it does that really well, makes a great school mully/ gummy/ heavy salmon rod. There certainly are graphite rods that can handle 6oz and a big bait and even more and perform better than a fiberglass rod doing it, IMO. There are plenty of graphite rods available from the US that will throw 6, 8 or even 10oz sinkers and a really big bait with ease, and some of them are not all that expensive, especially when compared to what you'll spend on a Sabre 540. Unfortunately none of those rods are available here in Australia, perhaps because so many people are reluctant to move on from fiberglass rods and try something new.I'm not trying to have a go at anyone, it makes no difference to me what a person wants to fish with, but there are other options out there and I wish we had more of that selection to chose from here.

Cool' date=' I think I get it. So much the same as Snyderglass then ' they dont make them like that anymore ' type of scenario..[/quote']Mmmm got me thinking there. I have an original Snyderglass 5120 blank at home' date=' still in it's wrapping, maybe I should build it up just to see what it's like. ;) SB[/quote']if your not going to rebuild I think we could come to an arrangement for me to take it off your hands
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've got a many sabres in my possession, jewel in the crown is my GF520 composite.The only rod that comes close to an aquivalent to the sabres for surf work is an original Snderglas 4120 graphite, there was 50 blanks sold from the factory just before it closed down and thank cricket I bought one.NAVMAN

• 4 weeks later...
Cool' date=' I think I get it. So much the same as Snyderglass then ' they dont make them like that anymore ' type of scenario..[/quote']Mmmm got me thinking there. I have an original Snyderglass 5120 blank at home' date=' still in it's wrapping, maybe I should build it up just to see what it's like. ;) SB[/quote']if your not going to rebuild I think we could come to an arrangement for me to take it off your hands
Crusher, I'm looking at selling the Snyder 5120 but couldn't PM you for some reason?Let me know if you are interested. :-)SB
Crusher, I'm looking at selling the Snyder 5120 but couldn't PM you for some reason?Let me know if you are interested. :-)SB
Rod has been sold, sorry for the digression everyone :-)