suggestions on a soft plastic reel

Hi all well i want to give soft plastics a try out to see if i can snare some fish from the beach and the boat ,now i have a good rod around 7 foot with a nice wippy end but would like some suggestions on a reel ,I know i should probably go to local tackle store but i have been looking around at a few shimano small spinning reels around the 2500 size wondering on others thoughts and perhaps recommendations ,

Plankton and crusher are right on the money waspy, even the lower end shimano reels are a class act, beautifully balanced and super smooth winding and drag mechanisms.any of the reels they suggested are great, but for smaller species the sienna would be a mighty fine reel at a fine price ($60.)Only thing i've found with the lower end shimano reels is that you can't let them take a salt bath, and you have to be diligent about rinsing them, i know this from having seized one after using it as a kayak fishing reel in the summer! :c

Well this is certainly a mixed bag and i thank all of you for your inclusions,i did have a small look at bcf yesterday but no one came to help me so i was left to my own devices .I did look at two smaller shimanos the sienna and another the name escapes me at the moment ,being a bit of a tight arse i have bought things like jarvis walker reels in setups and the reels although good have enough vibration in them they could get an ol hooker up to full steam in no time.Thanks again for you input and i shall take it on board whilst i look around some more ,i did buy a small shakespere from fishing wholesalers a while back and to be honest it is one of the sweetest small reels i have used very smooth could almost be a shimano knockoff .

Have to agree with Shimano Symetre 2500. I have bought 3 in the last 12 months. the last one i bought last month at bcf for $119 at that price it was too good to refuse. Have set the last one up just for SP and HB lures. would expect new bcf catalogue out next week and they often have great combo deals where you basically get a rod for free. Just waiting for a Raider/symetre combo to come up.

got to agree about the shakespeare reels, I have one also, I've had it for about 5 years and recently put it on a little 6' catana, its my slimy mack and gar outfit, soooo smooth, and only cost like $45. Dunno how they go drag wise for softies on nastier fish, you want to be able to put the hurt on bigger fish. Thats why I like my pflueger, 5kgs of drag and its about a 2000 size reel.

Well this is certainly a mixed bag and i thank all of you for your inclusions' date='i did have a small look at bcf yesterday but no one came to help me so i was left to my own devices [/color'].no surprises there never had any luck with help either :dry: I did look at two smaller shimanos the sienna and another the name escapes me at the moment ,being a bit of a tight arse \ the siennas are awesome for what they are my yfw rig is a 2500 sienna just cos it gets dunked etc. I also have a Saros 1000 & 2500 wich are that bit nicer for flicking plastics .

good luk let us know what ya end up gettn cheers 4THA

Depends on $$$ you want to spend and how often you are wanting to go sp fishing. The more you spend the more you need to justify using the reel and the better you need to keep your reel, washing it everytime you use it.For me $0-50 i would go a shimano sienna or cazna, both nice little reels i have both and both are almost identical in performance and specs.$50-100 shimano sedona - i have two of these reels and they are great, 7kg of drag in a 2500 reel is practically a snapper reel.$100-150 - Shimano symetre - as Damo said, this is probably the best value for money reel, ultra smooth reel. I have a 2500 size which i use for kg whiting and rugger snapper,$150-200 - Shimano Saros - good snapper reelMore then $200 you get into the good stuff, stradic fj, stradic ci4+, Sustain,,,,,Yes i am a shimano fan, but i also have a few daiwa reels, Aird, Opus Bull, catalina.My pick..... sedona or symetre

Hi guys ,i think i probably saw them yesterday aus ,i am not into spending hundreds on reels just not me ,now dont get me wrong but i think diawa have dropped the ball a bit as i bought a brand new one about 2 year ago and the bail arm has a tendancy not to click back every time so i didnt even look at them , ill check out the shakespear range and might even droop into f/w an see what they have got so many reels and such a choice ,i know the more you spend the better quality like tools really .

• 2 weeks later...

If your after a great CHEAP CHEAP reel, have a squizz at the shimano hyperloop.ive got a 2500, cost me $20 new, spooled up with 4lb braid, goes amazing!Im convinced its just something else thats been 're-badged' but i dont care anymore, Been fishing with it twice a week for 8 or 9 months now n never had a drama, not 1!Casts like a champ with 4lb on there n smooth as u like, light as :c too.Worth a look at any rate

If your after a great CHEAP CHEAP reel' date=' have a squizz at the shimano hyperloop.ive got a 2500, cost me $20 new, spooled up with 4lb braid, goes amazing!Im convinced its just something else thats been 're-badged' but i dont care anymore, Been fishing with it twice a week for 8 or 9 months now n never had a drama, not 1!Casts like a champ with 4lb on there n smooth as u like, light as :c too.Worth a look at any rate[/quote']Great little reel. Had one on my favourite gar/tommy outfit and flogged this reel for 3 years before it started acting up. About 30 bills spooled with mono.Obviously Waspy for SP you'll be using braid. If a 4000 shimano is not too big for you i have a brand new Syncopate you can have for $35. Basically a Sienna with quickfire for one handed casts.http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/spinning/Syncopate.html

Hi all well another member has offered a no brand reel ie: shimano,diawa ect for a good price that i will use i have also been looking on ebay at a brand called latitude which have been selling along with other brands such as melaluka for quite some time now .Before everyone says ohh there crap ect lets see how they go ,ok they may have some flaws and i will soon know if i have made a balls up of it or not ,someone said to me the other day "it doesnt matter what reel you have it is how many fish you catch with the reels you have got" the hyperloop was my other choice then the seinna i checked them out at bcf and liked them ,so if i have :c it up then i will move on to these but for now lets see what happens .Thanks for all your input i appreciate it and some very wise choices of reels have been made here on this post thanks again.

No offence taken mate you may well be right ,however a friend of mine whom i do volunteer work with went out to i beleive the norma wreck with his mate in the barcrusher ,now his daughter had bought him a 15 dollar rig from kmart for his birthday ,after his mate saw it he bought one also .Anyway they caught between them a total of 42 snapper 4 of which they kept as the others were just undersize ,he turned to nev and said "this rig has caught more fish for me than this 1000.00 rig sitting in the rocket launcher here" ,So as i say let us wait and see ,as i have said you may well be right they might be :c however without trying you will never fail ,without failure you will never learn and without learning you can never become better .

Not wrong there, most of the lower end Shimano stuff just doesn't know when to quit.IXs. Sedonas, Siennas, Exages, etc, you don't need to blow your budget to get long life reels.I've got a crush on Siennas at the moment, very dependable reels, and less than $50And available in rear drag, if that floats your boat, which in my case it does.Just don't go swimming with them......

Sedonas,Siennas,Exages,Hyperloop,Sweepfire,Crossfire,Cazna,Laguna,Opus,Crest,Sahara,Aird,Legalis and Symetre.These sorts of reels are classed as beginner reels,some are classed as kids reels.The Symetre only sells for $80 in the U.S. and they are just a beginners reel.When you get into real plastics throwing e.g. bream and other species you can stand in some places and cast for 3 hours during that time you may cast anywhere 400-700 times.The real difference between the cheaper reels and the better quality one's is how smooth and light the reels really feel and this is when the invested dollars come into play.You don't really get into decent reels until buying $300+ price range.Something like the new Ci4+,Sustain. Some people will know what i saying about the dollar investment and some won't.All depends on how much use the reel is going to get 400-700 or 30-50 casts.

I have a Luvias, but am now looking at a stradic fj 2500 for heavier breaming/Mully's. Was looking at a stain, but after reading a thread on BM, with a great reel servicer contributing on it, apparently there is a lot less to go wrong in them, and the only difference is no spool support bearing and a handle bearing. The schematics are near identical! He also recons, to begin with go the ELF at bcf. A jdm import and better than the saros and symetre. Hate to parrot, but just some info for everyone. ;) Cheers

a 2500 reel is pretty big. get a 1000 size imo. makes catching small fish feel big on sp. st, bream, schoolies etc feel so much better you'll enjoy the fight much more. there also more lighter so you can cast for longer and they will still hold 150m of 4-6lb braid.313175_242089439161919_4590942_n.jpgaernos sp 1000533206_560888553948671_1899631665_n.jpgaernos 1000 with the eva handleshimano reels are best value for money and i haven't had any issues with them. have had over the years a sienna $45-50, a solstace and aernos sp $60-70 and the new aernos at about $120.550541_439843396053188_1489288357_n.jpgsolstace 100017714_487787421258785_1076418856_n_2013-10-03.jpgsienna 1000