Home Made Sinkers

Hi there everybody buying sinkers has started to become expensive for me snapper fishing. just wondering has anyone done it before I understand you need the moulds, lead. but any tips on melting it down setting up the moulds any thing you know that I need to know would be great. cheers sheep

I make my own sinkers, need to get a batch of snapper sinkers ready actually.I got myself a lead melter from the US/Ebay and bought molds locally.If you shell out for a lead melter they are worth the money but for the love of God don't put dirty lead in it like I did, buggers it up real quick. You can also get flux that keeps the lead clean as it goes through the little nozzle. As I put dirty salvage lead through mine it has rusted out, cleaned it a few times but the nozzle just keeps clogging up, stuffed it I reckon. Now I just put my lead in a tin with a spout bent into it, place that inside the melter and pour out from there. I scrape all the slag out of the lead, rust, dirt and silicon chuck it then make little ingots out of the clean lead ready for when I do my batch. I might be able to salvage the melter and use like it's supposed to be used but just doesn't seem to work that well now like it did when it was new.I'd also recommend getting new molds, second hand are good if they are real clean, I got a few off ebay and they're ok but new molds make life so much easier, perhaps old molds can be cleaned to get the lead out easier.When you use your molds make sure you heat the mold up before you add your lead makes it much easier to get the sinkers out.Don't breath in the lead fumes either or you might be shortening your snapper fishing days ;) Here's a link to a previous topic Sinker making help!!

Got it pretty well covered there Bjorn.I do mine on the camper stove with a tin. Same thing, spout bent into it and a pair if pliers to pour it into the moulds.I just melt a heap and pour it in to heat up the moulds. 2 x practice pours and they are hot as and ready to go. Throw the lead straight back in and it's melted in seconds.I normally do a season or 2 in one hit s I don't have to do it very often.Makes for a decent couple of hours out in the shed with a few beers :)