Making a Berley Pot Cam!! now I need help identifying a mysterious fish

My dad bought a gopro hero 3 for various online webinars or something along those lines, but as soon as I saw it and the waterproof housing in which it came I immediately thought of applying it to fishing. A pole mount has been ordered so I can make Gaffcam and Netcam, but something else came into mind...Berleycam.Many minutes were used pondering how best to mount the camera to the berley pot, the first idea was to just bolt it straight onto it:IMG_1017.jpgAfter a quick test out at the local jetty, it quickly became apparent that there was no way to control the direction of the camera, after all, it needs to be pointing in the direction of the berley trail.This opened up another session of sitting and pondering many ideas on how to do this, perhaps a parachute to catch the tide?? This idea was quickly dismissed as the whole video would just be of a plastic bag.The next idea was to attach a paravane onto the berley bucket in the hope of acting like the parachute but with minimised camera space taken up.This was once again tested at the jetty and just as quickly as it went in the water it was taken out as it was completely useless. Back to the drawing board...Still utilising the paravane, I thought of mounting the camera straight onto the paravane which was bolted to the top of the berley pot, with the fin of the paravane acting like the back fin of a windmill which would ensure the camera points into the berley:IMG_1018.jpgThis was tested with success down at the jetty, so the next step is to test it out in the boat, where there is actually fish around and a decent tide running. i have tried uploading the video but I think it may be too large (250MB and is an .mp4).Cheers, KIF

Mate, kudos to you!!! Be oarsome to see it in action. Get a great insight on how it all happens! U may have to upload the vid to a third party site like photobucket then link it. Can upload it for you if u want to email it to me. May want to find a way of streaming the vids live on to the boat, the last thing u may see is some big teeth!!

Yep, was about to say it's a strongie (dusky morwong), but savage480 beat me to it.An idea to stop your pot pot spinning in the current is to add a "tail" to it. Maybe get a bit of aluminium sheet, say 100mm wide by the length of you pot, and connect vertically. I made a PVC camera housing some time ago and this is kind of what I did so it wouldn't spin all over the place.

Thanks everyone for the replies, It definitely appears to be a juvenile dusky, thanks savage for that one.To rotare,I was originally going to say when I uploaded the video is that the paravane idea is what stops it spinning, the spinning in this video is me twisting the line because I wanted to look under the jetty, when left alone the paravane quickly pulls the pot around such that the camera is looking down the tide.I will hopefully be able to upload some new footage in this thread later on, in deeper water and hopefully with some target species in the frame!Cheers, KIF

Thanks everyone for the replies' date=' It definitely appears to be a juvenile dusky, thanks savage for that one.I will hopefully be able to upload some new footage in this thread later on, in deeper water and hopefully with some target species in the frame!Cheers, KIF

please keep posting these vids and pics mate I love looking at what lives beneath cheers 4THA
  • 9 months later...

Unfortunately the things on the pole aren't 100% clear, either Squid eggs or could be a kind of hydroid.

I'd be reasonably confident in saying that was a strongy in the photo, I'm not sure when a strongy is no longer a juvenille because I've seen those spots on some decent sized fish before!