Tsk tsk Don't be stealing them snails.

Went down to second valley for a fish this afternoon, caught nothing and so did everyone else except one lady on the rocks. This little lady looked like it was Christmas time on the rocks. Had a plastic bag 2/3rds the way full off these snails, i'm not sure of the breed, if anyone can help me out that would be good. I approached her asked her if she knew quota and sizes etc, she said yes she did, i asked what they where, she says " oh i don't know" told her i doubt the bag limit is a plastic bag. she went back to her group with the bag, about 10 minutes later they left with an empty plastic bag but she had a handful of the snails, why she was carrying them i have no idea.,I thought it was a win. Anyway when we left we went up the same track and half way up the hill was the pile of snails, photo included. Like really, if ur gonna take something, fine but just wasting it?? I really dislike like a certain demographic of people that have 0 care for our fisheries. -Rant over. Snails.jpg

Reeve, its "not a rant"..... you have good right to be a little peeved over what you found... and good on you for questioning the person.... a lot of people nowadays are too scared to make comment if they see something out of the ordinary...The snails.... i think are periwinkles, years ago me and my Dad would get a few of these and cook them up and use a pin to pry out the meat from the shell..... believe me, you would need a shopping bag full to make a meal out of them....

Hi Reeve,I've always known them as periwinkles. My grandpa used to crush them up and use them as whiting burley. He even had a mincer just for the job!Pretty sure he used to eat them too. Possibly by boiling them and I think I remember him picking the flesh out with a pin? I don't ever recall any bag/size limit but that was a long time ago. Dan C

I always thought periwinkles were something different but upon resreach the internet reckons there is like a 100 different snails are periwinkles hahaWhat i found was accoridng to one place you're allowed 100 a day and another site said "Fishing in Our State Intertidal reef closure A closure for the taking of all benthic (bottomdwelling) organisms from the State’s intertidal rocky reef areas is in effect for all coastal waters in South Australia. This closure means that it is illegal to remove any bottom dwelling organismsfrom any intertidal rocky reef in South Australia from high water mark out to a water depth of twometres. The closure only relates to rocky reefs, and therefore does not include sand or beach.The removal of sea urchins, barnacles, rock lobster, shrimps, snails, crabs, coral, abalone,periwinkles, limpets, worms, mussels and other bottom dwelling organismsis prohibited."So i am not sure. but even if it's a 100, there was defiantly more then a 100 there.

Reeve

really dislike like a certain demographic of people that have 0 care for our fisheries.

Hmmm...a few years ago at Hallett Cove was fishing next to a group of...a certain "demographic"...who were filling a large department store bag (could have been two) with mussels obtained through sitting waist deep in water and casually feeling around. :whistle:

If the snails were collected from an intertidal rocky reef below the high tide mark then it was illegal. There is no size or bag limit. If they were collected from a break wall rock or the like then that would be legal.Also the definition of intertidal rocky reef as per PIRSA is from the high tide mark down to 2m depth. http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/13100/intertidal_zone1.pdfIf the snails were collected from above the high tide mark, then technically this is legal."The highest, most exposed sectionThese areas are generally wetted only by extreme high tides or by spray. The zone is known as the 'littoral fringe'. In South Australia, this zone is dominated by:â—¾littorinid snails (Nodilittorina unifasciata) â—¾dark patches of cyanobacteria (Calothorix fasciculate, Entophysalis) â—¾lichens (Lichina confinis) in the lower reaches."http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/fisheries/recreational_fishing/habitat/intertidal_habitats

As has been previously said, it is illegal to take invertebrates and such from the intertidal zone, between the high and low tide mark. So definitely not a good thing.The animals are known as black nerites or periwinkles, they are a common gastropod found all along the SA coast. Plenty at Hallett Cove and further south. Also found a lot over in Port Lincoln.