What is the reasoning behind Split Grips ?

My opinion is its just for looks.People have taken split grip rods out on my boat and had the rod holders scratch the exposed part o the blank as just conveniently the exposed section of the split grip happens to rest on the corner of the boat rod holders.

Funny how this subject has just been brought up, One of my favourite OH rods, the Shimano 702 Snapper 5-8 Bluewater series with one piece grip with the gimbal slot, then they changed it to a Revolution Offshore split butt & no gimbal slot, big mistake, had one converted back the slotted gimbal, remember this is an overhead & needs to be put the rod holder the right way round, so it can't turn on ya. That spit butt, hate it on this rod, now it's a inshore rod this year, the bling has taken over, big mistake Shimano.Don't get me wrong, don't mind the split but & don't care on the smaller spin rods & have made extensions with slots out of polly pipe that fit in the rod holders to suit the rods.SANY1598.JPG

copied this from a yankee site for ya chief :woohoo: The biggest advantage to using a split-grip rod over other rod handles is weight savings. By cutting away some of the cork or other grip material, the rod becomes lighter and more sensitive. Tackle shops and retail catalogues offer a wide array of rod configurations and lengths for just about any style of fishing, be it drop-shot, wacky style, tube jigs, spinnerbaits, crankbaits -- you get the idea. It is full-contact between your hand and the rod for both spinning and trigger grips. Some manufacturers have virtually eliminated the foregrip (the handle part in front of the reel) radice-splitgrip01allowing anglers more contact with the rod blank through the open handle space provided by the split- grip design. One aspect of split-grip rods that may mean changing your outfit is in the realm of reel and rod balance.The reel chosen for the seven foot medium-heavy rod with full cork handle may be too heavy when attached to the comparable seven foot medium-heavy split-grip rod. Check the balance by suspending the rod and reel on one finger in front of the handle. The rod should hang perfectly straight.Another technique to try for greater sensitivity with split-grip or conventional rods is gripping the rod with one finger in front of the foregrip. That finger is connected directly with the rod blank and the line. The slightest tick will radiate down the rod and hit your finger.An inexpensive solution to weight-forward rods and reel combos is a rod butt cap. Put a few quarters in the cap and then attach it to the butt of your rod. The added weight will help balance out the rod for a more comfortable rig.mog and myself nutted out an idea at his abode this arvo for poopzie stay tuned :dry:

Geeeese 4THA thanks for a .....yanks....opinion .....any one can google.Whats your opinion ? :blink: :pinch: Cl a p clap .smiley face ...jokin embarrassed look icon......

apologies fine sir my previous post was an attempt at short handedly giving an answer ' date='on how I find these rods work without actually writing anything , just a simple click and paste style answer :blink: , I was flustered due to the uncomfortable ,inclement weather we had experienced here in our magnificent state yesterday and I also have a sore throat and tooth ache :sick: now that my body has recovered from this traumatic event I will attempt to answer your question as best I can with mind and body being fully rested here goes :I like the split butt assembly rods for finesse fishing with plastics and hard body lures, you can balance the rod and reel nicely and give subtle movements or big jolts from a quick movement with minimalistic effort . perfectly balanced 1 finger only on the rod :laugh:splitbutt1.jpghow the rod can be held for those quick jerks and movements splitbutt3.jpg:woohoo: splitbutt2.jpgI hope this may have helped in your quest as to why people choose these magnificently crafted rods and how we find they work :vomit: :whistle: :headbang::sos::sun::sh :f :d/ :c :boat::rain::clap::fishing:B):(:):laugh::angry::unsure: :ohmy: :S :whistle: cheers 4THA

Hi all well i have read all the comments as to why we use split butt rods and why not ,my personal opinion is it is individual choice marketing of productcurrent trendand last but not least w :c factorthe reason i say this is as some of you know i have recently started to throw some plastics around with out success yet but ill continue ,the rig i am using would be frowned upon by some as it is a cheap jarvis walker glass rod teamed up with a shimano 2500 sienna but it is what i have ,now 4 tha your points are valid but wankfactorrods001.JPGhere we see i can balance the rod with one finger as wellwankfactorrods002.JPGable to do short jerky movements as wellwankfactorrods004.JPGand it is a full eva wrap butt ,now i agree with des on that carbon fibre would be lighter and stronger but the extra weight of a small peice of eva over the exposed part of the blank would weigh about as much as a bees :c ,,now i will probably cop a canning for this but this is my veiw and mine only hope no offence is taken by anyone .

hey'a waspy as ya said,all personal choice mate I started off with the cheaper style as you have purchased, but fishing with others over time that had the flashier style rods --whippier in the tip, lighter etc. they were out fishn me big time :angry: I was offered a shot on a custom made rod specifically built for lure fishing and the results were instant the accuracy on cast and action made that much more difference especially casting into pylons and snags, I just couldn't get the distance on cast with my old stick and reel my budget didn't stretch as far as a custom rod and high end reel but I went half way and got a berkley drop shot and sienna 1000 for around the $150 mark (back then) which certainly was a combo that seen me matching the others catch rates. I now have upgraded again which you may or may not do down the track I doubt many will be offended by your comments mate, I hope your combo gets ya as hooked into lure fishn as it did me when I first started if ya ever wanna borrow it to see tha difference gimme a hoy i'd be happy to lend it to ya cheers 4THA

The only way a rod and reel can be balanced is by going into a tackle store and fitting reels to rods in finding the pivot point.As pic from 4THALOVEIf buying some gear online you won't know and only guessing it will balance.This exacting formula is usually for the bream guys where they're going to be hundreds of casts in a day.Yesterdays lure casting was on a silstar glass rod,last week was on a shimano graphite rod.All comes down to the weight of lures to what works best.

Hi 4tha ,i am pretty lucky as i dont have to worry about accuracy the onk is pretty wide :laugh: but i can see your point ,my rod is really a peice of :c but it has a pretty flex tip and will let me learn more about casting sp's so if i do upgrade i should be pretty good at it ,i looked at some of the soft plastic rods on ebay graphite split butts fairly cheap and they sell a lot of them but for now i am still on my l plates when it comes to sp's.

The whole balancing a rod on your finger tip to see if it's balanced is a load of rubbish imo, how many people here fish with one finger on the grip? It's all down to personal choice and the balance is how it feels in your hand while casting and retrieving.Most split grip rods are low to mid range gear, once you get into the high end finess gear they tend to go back to full cork.All my light outfits would flip over backwards if I tried balancing it on my finger from the front grip, not a fan of split grips personally, have a few but rarely get used. :)

Have to agree with aus there piranha ,when i am retrieving i place two fingers around the shaft of the body of the reel so i can put action onto my sp's,if the rod was unbalanced it would be either butt heavy or tip heavy making it a bit uncomfortable to use i reckon for any length of time .

Split Grip Graphite Rods are the only thing to use wading/land based fishing.Cheers' date=' Des[/quote']But what makes You choose split grips over full grips ?Why in your opinion are they better?Cheers :fishing:
Chief, Are You a Dentist?Must you extract teeth?Ok it was late. I had finished a bottle of red and wanted to give a quick opinion before gong to bed. OK! :whistle: :P Balance: The balance point should always be at the middle of the reel seat. Although this can be achieved with other methods or materials, rather than a split grip. Ergonomics: It is a lot more effortless to cast with an "extended butt" rod (not necessarily a split grip) than a short butt rod. With the shorter butt you have to use a more forceful action as you would when cracking a stock whip. Sometimes you want that as in fly rods (very short butt) that rely on getting the whip going. The extended butt provides a counter balance that makes the whole process effortless.Grip: The extended butt is very convenient to stick into your armpit to grip it. Hence leaving your 2 hands free for dealing with tackle or fish. Essential for a wading fisherman.Now finally, the split grip is simply a way to provide the benefits of the extended butt without adding too much weight and providing correct balance.As a wading fisherman I have used both types. And now will only use split gripped graphite rods. ;) Cheers, Des :)

Ok so with weight being that light it would be breaming type set up.But your had on the rod still needs to be close to the reel and preferably above.How awkward is it going to be if your hand is 6-7 inches forward or behind the reel and your twitching then turning (retrieving) line at the same time.It will still come down to personal preference,but on the other hand try doing what you say on heavier gear and things change quickly.Not everyone's going to be using 300g outfit.

On the subject of split grips if anyone else has built rods you would know the EVA which is missing on the split grip rods is so incredibly light especially on the smaller out fits like SP breaming gear.The weight of it virtually plays very little to none in adding weight and disrupting the balance of a outfit.When i make up an extended rod butt i now build the rod with split grip as for show only.One of my surf rods where the reel is high mount and sits 85cm from butt end is split grip but once again only for show and i didn't have to use the extra EVA.Not sure what this whole fuss is about re a bit of EVA or cork missing.

Very awkward I would imagine but not sure why anyone would hold a rod as described (6-7inches foward or behind)?, I hold my hand above the reel with index finger touching the blank infront of the front grip, we may have to agree to disagree on this one mate :) To me balancing a rod/reel on your finger makes about as much sense as people testing/evaluating reels by turning the handle to see how many revolutions the spool does before stopping, in reality it tells you nothing about the quality or performance.cheers