Rods of the future

Chiefs thread got me thinking after considering all the replies that there was no real consesus as to why or even if split grips are actually better. Ask 10 fishos get 10 different opinions.I'm not fussed either way cause i only have one decent graphite rod and it has split grips and one graphite composite that is nearly 20 years old. Maybe it's just an aesthetics thing, i mean tackle companies have to sell gear so they bring out something new or looks different and tackle rats will buy it. New doesn't always mean better.How much more can fishing rods evolve.? Some new future yet unknown materials? Some existing materials but not yet affordable on mass produced gear?Thoughts.

I design over a hundred different rods under the Komodo brand. I tend to target the untapped market in areas I believe and under providedI'm currently at the weihai fishing show and the Asian quality and fineness puts us to shameI think bream or mullet fishing on Asian style poles will be the next thing, as soft plastics have been overworked and are too hard formost peopleCheck out someofthe Japanese style comps on lineYou should also check out my rod design comp on site as well. It's worth enteringNew materials well hemp would be a great strong light additive that's flexible, and if the fish don't bite we could give our spiff rods a light :headbang:

Mate' date=' I'd be happy enough if South Aus caught up with the rest of Aus, let alone the world! :laugh:That said, there are some reallll nice surf rods coming out of england, if you have the "dosh!"[/quote']Yes, I've been unfortunate enough to have been able to cast some of those nice Century and Zziplex rods. I say unfortunate because I of course fell in love with them, then found out how much they cost. :woohoo: I'd just be happy if Daiwa would let us have some of the mid-range surf rods they sell in the UK. It would be nice to have access to an overhead surf rod without a reel seat that's as thick as a beer can. :S

We are light years behind,the latest thing out of japans technology is telescopic rods,in what they call iso fishing.they have evolved rods that weigh sfa,are telescopic and catch kingys, tuna ,snapper ect B)Here master japanese Angler [forget his name] shows shimano remare, telescopic rods ,about as far as it goes imo technology wise.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OEszbgkhG8

I can grab half a dozen and bring them backI'm not sure if they would be a good seller as telescopic a have a bad reputation even though these dry lift 5 kgs and are about 30mm thickI can fit about 100 rods in a rod bag I've just bought and will have them in my new store that hopefully opens before Xmas in victorThis show is fantastic as you can buy 1 or 5 of everything instead of 3 to 500 like I normally have to make of each size or colour. Beijing is more focused on the major brands but weihai is allowing smaller scale purchases. Beijing is in feb when it's -5 here it's 23' all day and night I went to one stand and said I want to buy that... Which one? Them! What?????? I offered to buy the whole display they were gobsmacked but they should make a nice display in my store

I have fished with people that have only ever used Fibre Glass rods, once they cast with a Graphite they are hooked on it. As you said Komodo, Telescopics get a bad rap here as most are of poor quality IMO. They get sand inside, stop retracting, Snap way too easily and have poor actions all round.The shop in Victor, that is exciting. I would imagine placed around Granite island and the bluff you would get some serious inflow through summer. Good luck with it, will be sure to pop in once you have it running.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you are catching fish with the rods you have now why change? I know it's all part of the ever changing dynamic of the entire sport but if you see some of these older blokes on jetties pulling in fish after fish you might be swayed to this conservative thinking. I would much rather take info from the past generation of fishos than taking it from paul bloody worsteling. Hey these telescopic rods might be the future, but until there is sufficient evidence to support them, I will stick with my 6'6' graphite.

I like thinking outside the box when fishing. The old guys on the jetties get plenty of fish, but as more and more people fish the fish get smarter and you need every advantage you can get.I have fished Glenelg jetty for about 12 years and started with cheap outfits, mono and glass rods. Since upgrading to long, light graphite rods, light high end threadline reels, braid, fluorocarbon trace and chemically sharpened hooks I am catching more fish and enjoying it much more. Once you use high end gear, it is just too hard to go back. Now most of the locals on Glenelg use graphite, braid and even soft plastics for tommies and snook.I am always searching for the edge in my fishing and bream on bait is another example. Longer rods allow me to cast baits with lighter or no weight and fish with more finesse. I went to the effort of sourcing some fly rod blanks to build up into 10 foot bait rods and have also picked up a pair of 13 foot tacklebuster rods for the same. Another example is long distance surf fishing. There are almost no surf rods available off the rack in Australia that can handle power casting (OTG, pendulum etc.) with 6oz and bait or more. I currently use a pair of South African Poseidon 3 piece Rods that come with 3 different tips and allow me to cast sinkers from 3oz to 8oz. They are a joy to use but very much go against the grain of traditional thinking.

Cheers Moggy' date=' I can see that being a problem, wouldn't want to get a wind knot jammed halfway up the blank either :)[/quote']I fished with a bloke a couple of times that he uses them and nothing else. He loves them.Isnt the idea of them you don't get wind knots as there is no guides for the line to wrap around.Not for me as I simply cant afford them
I like thinking outside the box when fishing. The old guys on the jetties get plenty of fish' date=' but as more and more people fish the fish get smarter and you need every advantage you can get.I have fished Glenelg jetty for about 12 years and started with cheap outfits, mono and glass rods. Since upgrading to long, light graphite rods, light high end threadline reels, braid, fluorocarbon trace and chemically sharpened hooks I am catching more fish and enjoying it much more. Once you use high end gear, it is just too hard to go back. Now most of the locals on Glenelg use graphite, braid and even soft plastics for tommies and snook.I am always searching for the edge in my fishing and bream on bait is another example. Longer rods allow me to cast baits with lighter or no weight and fish with more finesse. I went to the effort of sourcing some fly rod blanks to build up into 10 foot bait rods and have also picked up a pair of 13 foot tacklebuster rods for the same. Another example is long distance surf fishing. There are almost no surf rods available off the rack in Australia that can handle power casting (OTG, pendulum etc.) with 6oz and bait or more. I currently use a pair of South African Poseidon 3 piece Rods that come with 3 different tips and allow me to cast sinkers from 3oz to 8oz. They are a joy to use but very much go against the grain of traditional thinking.[/quote']i think those rod should suit u http://www.talon-graphite.com/Blank%20section/Saltwater%20Blank%20sub%20folders/Uluasaltwaterblanks.htmthose rod can cast 5-9oz sinker + baitthose rod are really goodbut its pretty expensive. for the blank usd 250-350http://www.daiwa.com/rod/detail.aspx?id=220this is another option SABS 40-405G XXH F 13'3" 3 25-60 6-15 5 this one is really good too.those rod math with a newell 4,5 or 6 series reel or shimano torium 30 or 50 reel or penn 113hlw 50-80lb mono main line + 5 -10 oz sinker + bait they can cast 100m+

The Ulua rods look interesting. The technique seems very similar to the South African Slide baiting techniques of casting a heavy grapnel sinker then attaching a slide bait rig.When I fish got interested in distance casting I got a few Kilwell Pendulum 1 blanks and trimmed down the tips. These will cast 8oz and bait but and very heavy to hold.I have heard a few thinks about the Saltiga ballistic rods. There a few guys into distance casting using them in Australia, but even the heaviest model bends a fair bit with only 3ozhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRgg32iAGoM

The Ulua rods look interesting. The technique seems very similar to the South African Slide baiting techniques of casting a heavy grapnel sinker then attaching a slide bait rig.When I fish got interested in distance casting I got a few Kilwell Pendulum 1 blanks and trimmed down the tips. These will cast 8oz and bait but and very heavy to hold.I have heard a few thinks about the Saltiga ballistic rods. There a few guys into distance casting using them in Australia' date=' but even the heaviest model bends a fair bit with only 3ozhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRgg32iAGoM[/quote']but it z really light weight. the reat seat is only 22mmit z really easy to cast. u can cast all day long, and u dun feel tiredi used to cast 50lb mono main 5-7oz sinker + baitfor my best record on this rod is a 54lb GT from the cliff.it is a awsome rod.For me the weight of the rod and the reel is really important to me. i am not a big guy. so this rod is perfect for me.talon ulua rod is special design for hawaiian use. it z perfect for slide bait. some of the rod can handle 150lb+ ulua (GT in hawaiian )For the talon i do recommend BCY069.this is the newest model.i do own a pair of BCY072. it z little bit heay. but still a good rod.Kilwell is a classic rod. some of the hawaiian still use it. but they ar too heavy to cast it.

I have a couple of Century surf rods which I love to bits, they really are something different to what we normally get here.The Poseidon P5 rods that Kelvin alluded to are a well priced, great casting rod, and surprisingly light to hold.This is my next salmon lure casting rod, if my wife lets me :-)http://www.centurysea.co.uk/sea-rods/vectura-ti-11/Cheers!SB

I picked up two high modular telescopic surf rods at 4.2m and 4.5m. Two different brands8 am happy to loan them out for field testing only ask that they be returned after a couple of weeks with a report and honest feedback on them. They can then be given out to other strike and hookers so they can play with them. I just want to gauge reactionI've also placed an order for 100 quality surf rods for the shop which will in in the new year. These are a Japanese high modular blankI can get the UK blanks specs next month when I visit the UK if anyone is interested, and get them made up if there's enough interestMy shop will be on the Goolwa rd, turn left at the victor roundabout at the play cafe then about 300m on the leftDrop me a pm if you are interested in the trialling the telescopic sIll be back in SA after the Sydney tinny and tackle show I'm exhibiting at next weekendI'm always looking for new ideas customer feedback so don't be shy guysHere's the new shopimage.jpg

G'day Komodo,I'd love to give your offer a go but I live in Adelaide :-( . Also I cast pendulum style normally with 4-6 oz, which would tend to make the rod even more telescopic than the manufacturer intended, as it really loads the rod deep into butt section.What are the manufacturer's specs on the rods? And what is the distance between the reel seat and the butt cap? Any specs and details appreciated.Cheers!SB

I've also placed an order for 100 quality surf rods for the shop which will in in the new year. These are a Japanese high modular blankI can get the UK blanks specs next month when I visit the UK if anyone is interested' date=' and get them made up if there's enough interest[/quote']I'm very interested in this, especially if you've got something that aligns with what I posted on your rod design comp thread and is affordable. Those Centurys are very nice but also very expensive. Something in the $200-300 range would be great!

I picked up two high modular telescopic surf rods at 4.2m and 4.5m. Two different brands8 am happy to loan them out for field testing only ask that they be returned after a couple of weeks with a report and honest feedback on them. They can then be given out to other strike and hookers so they can play with them. I just want to gauge reactionI've also placed an order for 100 quality surf rods for the shop which will in in the new year. These are a Japanese high modular blankI can get the UK blanks specs next month when I visit the UK if anyone is interested' date=' and get them made up if there's enough interestMy shop will be on the Goolwa rd, turn left at the victor roundabout at the play cafe then about 300m on the leftDrop me a pm if you are interested in the trialling the telescopic sIll be back in SA after the Sydney tinny and tackle show I'm exhibiting at next weekendI'm always looking for new ideas customer feedback so don't be shy guysHere's the new shop[attachment=16459']image.jpg[/attachment]

I'll definitely be in to say hi when you open mate.