Crabbing and Seals

The last two times i have been down to Semaphore and Largs Jettys to see if anyone has been catching any blueys all i have seen is their nets being towed around by seals has anyone else noticed this at all they play with their nets until they get the bait out and eat it then start on another net.iIt gets so bad that the crabbers give up and leave with Summer on the way i am wondering if a seal would have a go at a balloon bait or a person swimming out deep its going to be interesting all the best to you all Lash

If those jetty loving seals are attracting sharks to metro waters then we better ban fishing and swimming altogether.Can't have swimmers who knowingly enter shark environments getting eaten or disturbing seal breeding/feeding patterns.Don't worry about the marine creatures further down the food chain either as seals are cute and don't eat anything but sea lice or need anything other than protection at all costs. :boot::blink: :silly:

Seal numbers increasing metro - summer coming on - increased shark presence (little sharks and big sharks) - big sharks go yum-yum on seals - lots of people in the water...What could possibly go wrong? :evil: But seriously - what to do' date=' [i']realistically[/i]? :whistle:

Well if the story told to me about a bloke who was wearing a black wetsuit off Marion bay jetty has any merit then don't wear black wetsuits.A bull seal wrapped its flippers around this bloke and attempted to faunacate with him. His mate's had to jump in and separate them before the bloke drowned.I wonder if the cops put the seal up on charges?

The last two times i have been down to Semaphore and Largs Jettys to see if anyone has been catching any blueys all i have seen is their nets being towed around by seals has anyone else noticed this at all they play with their nets until they get the bait out and eat it then start on another net.iIt gets so bad that the crabbers give up and leave with Summer on the way i am wondering if a seal would have a go at a balloon bait or a person swimming out deep its going to be interesting all the best to you all Lash

is this recently you have been to semaphore and the seals have been around or a while ago cause i was planing on crabbing there this friday if the weathers good but if there around and doing that to the nets i,ll just go to the outer harbour platform instead and try there cheers netman

cheers for that lash i will try at semaphore on the friday seeing theirs no overcast that day and crab until i have got my limit which is still 40 if you combine 20 blueys and 20 sandys but if i see any seals i will be shifting to the outer harbour platform you dont find seals in there because of traffic through tankers also the harbour has alot of hammerhead sharks and they do attack seals netman

yeah alex i really dont recommend catching crabs from outer harbour platform cause most of the crabs there are diesel affected due to tankers rolling in and out the harbour it,s alright to eat the crabs you catch there but if you made it a regular thing catching them there you could wind up with bowel cancer after eating them

If those jetty loving seals are attracting sharks to metro waters then we better ban fishing and swimming altogether.Can't have swimmers who knowingly enter shark environments getting eaten or disturbing seal breeding/feeding patterns.Don't worry about the marine creatures further down the food chain either as seals are cute and don't eat anything but sea lice or need anything other than protection at all costs. :boot::blink: :silly:

i reckon we should keep on sharking while the seals are around better chances of hooking one up with them around as for swimmers that,s at there own risk but i do believe the councils should pull their finger out and shut down the beaches where they are hanging around for human safety

Here's a seal at semaphore the other day! They're pretty annoying when your crabbing.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt8FfmAL1_k&list=UUxLwpnGq1d_jrervS7icLGQ&feature=player_detailpage

yeah it,s not so much a problem even if the seals are about it,s about watching where the seal is when you do decide to pull your net in

Here's a seal at semaphore the other day! They're pretty annoying when your crabbing.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt8FfmAL1_k&list=UUxLwpnGq1d_jrervS7icLGQ&feature=player_detailpage

alex was that recording you took at the very end of semaphore jetty netman
Everytime I go to semi, they're always there. They usually swim around the end of the jetty and attract crowds.

Seals are bloody fun to swim with. We rafted up our boats at althorpes a couple summers ago to cook up some fresh caught cray and other random fish found around the area. Anyway they were playing around at the back of our boat so a few of us jumped in and they were really playful, swim around come up, swim around then sometimes they would swim belly up in front of us and we would rub their belly. It was a real great experience. Probably not a smart thing to do about 100m from Shark alley but I've dived through it, still here, but it was really dark and creepy in there. As for sharking this summer, you can find my little 4m craft on the section bank or naval grounds on any given good day out there!

Seals are bloody fun to swim with. We rafted up our boats at althorpes a couple summers ago to cook up some fresh caught cray and other random fish found around the area. Anyway they were playing around at the back of our boat so a few of us jumped in and they were really playful' date=' swim around come up, swim around then sometimes they would swim belly up in front of us and we would rub their belly. It was a real great experience. Probably not a smart thing to do about 100m from Shark alley but I've dived through it, still here, but it was really dark and creepy in there. As for sharking this summer, you can find my little 4m craft on the section bank or naval grounds on any given good day out there![/quote']I wouldn't risk it. They are wild seals and can sometimes be very aggressive. But anyways, that would have been a great experience! :side:
Seals are bloody fun to swim with. We rafted up our boats at althorpes a couple summers ago to cook up some fresh caught cray and other random fish found around the area. Anyway they were playing around at the back of our boat so a few of us jumped in and they were really playful' date=' swim around come up, swim around then sometimes they would swim belly up in front of us and we would rub their belly. It was a real great experience. Probably not a smart thing to do about 100m from Shark alley but I've dived through it, still here, but it was really dark and creepy in there. As for sharking this summer, you can find my little 4m craft on the section bank or naval grounds on any given good day out there![/quote']yeah iv,e been close to seals as well cal awesome experience it i was floating on a black rubber donut about 150 meters away the beach or shoreline from this seal and walrus colony at fowlers bay and the spot is somewhere near this big sand dune called big dipper a couple of seals swam by me then one of my mate,s freinds said to me you know these waters are shark infested waters dont you never got out the water faster in my life. netman