im looking into buying / making a crab cooker this season, just wondering what other members use to cook them. and if home made how and what you used I want something large enough to cook 20 @ a time any ideas, or anyone got one for sale that I might be interested in ? add pics if ya'll got some cheers 4THA

Lets hope this year is better than last season or youll be boiling up ol boots 4tha . :laugh:

mate I had a cracking season last year this post is from only 8 months agohttp://www.strikehook.com/forum/42-metropolitan/245332-jlo-gets-crabs-from-another-woman#247490 we got between 20 -60 every session, mainly 20 odd as I was only getting em for me and F.In Law and like em fresh so many seemed to struggle but we got amongst em B) Squirter does that include the burner or just the keg and basket ?cheers 4THA

There is a fella over at Moonta that makes a crab steamer out of 10 gallon kegs. Complete with stainless steel basket. I haven't picked mine up yet' date=' gonna get it at xmas when I'm over there. His name is Len and his number is 0432732414.[attachment=16465']Image.jpg[/attachment]

I wonder where he gets his kegs from.

I got one o dem ol' 'lectric coppers the ones them grannys used to do the washin' in .Can fit a full spud bag o' yabbies in one cook ....got rid o the lectric element and mounted a big Gas burner under it . Was the primary schools Sav heater upperer ...Hot dog Days.So far I've used it for ...Cooking YabbiesCooking CrabsBoiling water for Dunking chooks in before ya pluck em ....PLUCK I said :woohoo: Done Camping dishes in it .and even bathed a baby in it .

I got one o dem ol' 'lectric coppers the ones them grannys used to do the washin' in .Can fit a full spud bag o' yabbies in one cook ....got rid o the lectric element and mounted a big Gas burner under it . Was the primary schools Sav heater upperer ...Hot dog Days.So far I've used it for ...Cooking YabbiesCooking CrabsBoiling water for Dunking chooks in before ya pluck em ....PLUCK I said :woohoo: Done Camping dishes in it .and even bathed a baby in it .

& 3 man hot tub :laugh::laugh::laugh: :vomit:

Mine is Zachary same as this one Copper.jpgfound on gumtreehttp://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ridleyton/other-antiques-art-collectables/vintage-copper-gas-washing-tub-boiler-cooking-pot-ice-bucket/1028827412@ Poops - Not quite big enuff for.... You , Me and 4THA I just made myself a wire mesh basket to fit inside .and because its tapered at the bottom I made a shallower larger basket so it dosnt bottom out for steaming. ;) Cheers

There is a fella over at Moonta that makes a crab steamer out of 10 gallon kegs. Complete with stainless steel basket. I haven't picked mine up yet' date=' gonna get it at xmas when I'm over there. His name is Len and his number is 0432732414.[attachment=16465']Image.jpg[/attachment]

my old man made a cook cooker himself in metal class when he was in nailsworth tech years ago and left it to me but someone nicked it off me so looks like i,ll be buying one of those myself cheers netman

i use a copper that they used to have in the old housing trust homes if your lucky you can get them with a in built burner .i have a large stainless steel basket that holds about 35 good size crabs.but i have a burner as mine was an electric that i converted.have seen them in the trading post and ebay.not cheap but well worth it.let me know if you want to have a look obviously mine is not for sale. just email me

Hey 4tha ,last year was a shocker for me after my third run and no crabs i hung up the pots ,i remember the year before getting a few and from brighton to seaclif was like a slalom course with all the floats out ,but last year you could have driven the queen mary through there and not touched a float ,hope this year is better .

• 1 month later...

i got a keg steamer also can boil in them too but once u steam crabs u never go back ;) i use a galv mesh square chicken wire for the insert as it doesnt get hot enough to become dangerous but many will tell u otherwise ..always clean them up green then when ive got 3-4 to go light the cooker steam for 20 mins and intoa seawater ice slury (mouth is watering)..im pretty sure the hong kong at paddys market sell big pots also

007_2013-12-13.JPG

Ask Len these questions1. Where does he get the kegs & have they been decommissioned2. How does he clean & decontaminate the kegs for safe food use & is it in accordance with safe food regulations (Strict regulations apply here!)3. Does he use galv mesh & not s/steel. (Not cooking my crabs in galv mesh!!!). Having worked with qualified metallurgists food safe s/steel is the go unless you want to absorb the toxins etc from galv. I'm sure he makes them in good faith but just something to think about.

• 2 months later...