You really have to know your prices.

Hi all ,well was out and about today and stopped into big w to check out the price of some new line ,anyway saw a few types and took down some info and went on my way ,when i arrived home jumped on ebay to see what the difference would be in prices ,well to my shock big w were cheaper by half than the internet for a specific brand name of mono .What does this say to me ,well that the so called net is not always the best place to buy gear ,this is not the first time either ,as you know recently i aquired a shimano sienna ,now the cheapest i could get one for on the net was 55.00 with free postage and i think bcf had them for 59.00 ,however stopping in at a local tackle shop i bought one for 49.00 and spooled with line ,so always check your prices sometimes the tackle store/ chain store may well be cheaper than the so called net .

Hi all ' date='well was out and about today and stopped into big w to check out the price of some new line ,anyway saw a few types and took down some info and went on my way ,when i arrived home jumped on ebay to see what the difference would be in prices ,well to my shock big w were cheaper by half than the internet for a specific brand name of mono .What does this say to me ,well that the so called net is not always the best place to buy gear ,this is not the first time either ,as you know recently i aquired a shimano sienna ,now the cheapest i could get one for on the net was 55.00 with free postage and i think bcf had them for 59.00 ,however stopping in at a local tackle shop i bought one for 49.00 and spooled with line ,so always check your prices sometimes the tackle store/ chain store may well be cheaper than the so called net .[/quote']Waspy , what was the brand of Mono you were looking at ?

Don't get too discouraged, I'm pretty sure Berkley have a "pro" fishing team so it can't be that bad. Don't want to start an argument here though.Understand your situation waspy, some of us can only afford what we can spare.We started with Jarvis/K mart combos & have upgraded to siennas/catanas/solstice or whatever they are called, yeah I know not a huge leap but for what we do they are sweet.didn't fish for 25 years and everyone was advising $600 reels, $1000 rods, braid @ $50 per metre when we looked at getting back into it. Bloody hundreds of different terminal bits & pieces, knots I can't pronounce let alone tie them. What happened to my stuff my dad gave me - bit of line wrapped around a stick 1 dropper knot for a hook & sinker tied on the bottom? Never went hungry!!!!! Get out there and enjoy mate, & best of luck. :boat: Andrew

Oh well ill just have to get out there and tie it to a pole and see how much i can give it before it snaps ,you know poppa when i was in townsville i used to fish a place called the rockpool ,one day i was there and a lot of other keen anglers with the best rods and reels and this old islander guy rolled up ,with a handline that looked about 1000 years old that mosses trolled lures behind the ark with ,anyway he sits down near me and baits one hook throws it in and bang gets this massive fish .Didnt cast out miles just of the edge, he gets up puts the fish in his bucket with his handline and walks off leaving me and others with our jaws open.,anyway i hope i havent done me doe but if i have then thats that .At the moment i am slowely trying to upgrade some of my gear by getting rid of some i dont want or need anymore and changing the whole way i fish ,ie no more abu overheads or alveys in the boat all spinning and as i have written before starting to get into soft plastics land based ,some of the plastics i have bought would probably raise eyebrows here as well but as you say poppa you buy what you can afford ,its good to get feedback from questions and thats why i post them on here ill let you know what happens in the future . :laugh:

Well i gave the ol trileen a test today to see if it was that bad ,so what i did was tied it to a pole on my penn powerstick cranked the drag right on and gave it a good bit of stick ,rod was extreamly working and the line was like a guitar string and my arm was shaking with the force on the rod and line ,it didnt snap now if i come across a fish that will put that much hurt on me and my rod and reel if it snaps then in my opinion it had reached its breaking point ,i weigh around 90 kg and was leaning my whole weight on this thing if it had snapped i would have gone :c up across the concrete ,maybe you got a bad batch mine seems ok.