what size hooks do you use for snapper

Hi all well this is my dumb question for the month as the name suggests on the topic what size hooks would you target snapper on ,the reason for this question is i am going through my tackle sorting the :c from the clay and upgrading gear to get ready for the coming season ,i have some ganged hooks for floating pilies around and squid strips but thought i would ask all those in the know what they prefer and would use .

hi waspy,you can get by with the ganged hooks for the pillies mate but if you are going to use bigger baits like squid heads,slab baits etc you may get better service from gamakatsu,big red types of hooks that are stronger generally and chemically sharpened.I personally use these in the sizes up to 5/0,6/0, 7/0 or thereabouts.you can usually catch multiple fish on these hooks too,they seem to take the wear and tear quite well.some may say the 7/0 are too big but i have found them ok,handy for throwing out bigger baits,hope this helps you bud,cheers

• 3 weeks later...

i use 8/0 gamakatsu octopus hooks exclusively for my snapper fishing, generally i snell 2 together around 100mm apart. they are great hooks and stay sharp for multiple fish, if the snap-daddy swallows it i always get it out on the filleting table and re-use it. 60lb trace is what i snell them together with and i always use a running sinker.