Yellowfin whiting - hooks and bait presentation

G'day all. I'm going to try my hand at catching some YFW and I have a couple of questions regarding hooks and bait presentation. I am using a size 4 bait holder gamakatsu hook, is this ok sizewise? Should I be using a long shank hook instead? I am using the freeze dried tubeworms as bait also, are these an ok product? How long should the pieces of chopped tubeworms be to use as individual baits, and what is the best way to present them on a hook? I've also got some Zerek poppers to try out if I come across a lot of YFW, so I will give those a try too! Cheers, Craig.

Baitholders are fine for worms but for metro fish size 6 or 8 will be better. Longshanks work as well and I used these a lot in previous years. Now I prefer a fine worm baitholder hook.Use as much worm as you can afford. I like to cover the hook as much as possible but often one worm will be only long enough for 2 or 3 baits and it soon gets expensive if you are not catching your own bait. When I was a poor uni student I used to use size 10 hooks and 2cm lengths of tubeworm to make them last longer. Could get my bag of 20 YFW from one packet of tubeworms if I was lucky.

A tip I found on this site a while ago was to use a long shank hook, and thread the worm up the shank, and leave a 'tail' of a couple of cm off the hook, so the barb is exposed halfway up the worm. The theory being that sometimes the fish like to grab onto the tail and suck it in. When they reach the barb, all you have to do is set the hook.Sounds good in theory but I haven't had the time to test it properly with the YFW only just starting to come on in patches.