A new King George Whiting Record

Next thing you know Armaguard will be delivering kg fillets to the fishmongers in those armoured trucks. B)B) Thats nothing,I worked at SAFCOL,where most of the abolone gets processed and canned,almost all of locally sourced abs go to the Asian markets.There was a tin the size of a bake bean can ,and I found out the 1 tin gets sold for 480 dollars Aus to the markets over there wholesale, thats 1 tin of brined oily salty crap basically and worth more than gold..Everyone got full scale bag searches ect when leaving after work....and heaps had been caught sucking in to temptation,they even strategically placed tins around the joint and had surveillance cameras on them to catch people out.

My perception is that the particular fishmonger in question has generally higher prices than most of the other retailers around town. The prices at the (former) outlet at Colonnades were so out of touch with reality that it's no wonder it closed (mind you, the alleged rental being charged by the centre management probably wouldn't have helped). If you think the prices being charged in town are a bit steep, just wander out to Burnside Village and see what their outlet there charges...Just have a good look around, folks...there are quite a few other outlets doing product which is as good as (or probably better than) this, and at a much better price,Cheersaf

Here's a thought...Just for a day, I would like to roam around visiting the major fish retailers in Adelaide and price 5 species of fish ($/kg for fillets) and whack it all up in a spreadsheet and post it on this site. My initial preferences are:KG Whiting GarSnapperFlakeFlatheadDo any S&Hers have any other suggestions?Cheersaf

Hey archer I think that's a great idea. I went a bought some coorong mullet two weeks ago and smoked them for a nice little snack. I looked around in the shop to see what was the cheapest fish I could get . Obviously it was the mullet @ $25 kg , Tommie's were $28. I nearly filled my pants with astonishment. It's no wonder my freezer is full f my own catch!