just wondering what everyone uses on their plastic outfits? i have a standard "light" outfit that i use for all my light work, be it bait fishing for whiting or pan sized snapper or lure fishing for salmon, squid, snook, flatties or snapper (and whatever else might latch on). the mainline atm is 10lb braid on a Shimano Saros 2500. i change the rod's around but lately been using an old nibble tip ugly stick, gunna take the plunge soon though and get myself a decent rod, im thinking a Samaki. Anyway, the point of the thread was to find out what pound line people run on their light outfits. do u have a specific SP and hardbody outfit or go with a more universal setup that can do it all, bait and lures? i just bought some 4lb leader today and also some 8lb. Normally the lightest i go is12lb so im excited at the prospect of going light. What do u all do?

My light out fits are 4lb and 6lb . I always use either 10lb 15lb or 20lb leader depending on what i am targeting . Leader is always heavier or the same as main line . Your outfit is only as strong as the weakest link . I see it all the time where people are using 8lb main with 4lb leader and are wondering why the keep getting busted off ????? The leader needs to be fairly strong because this is a the business end and where you are going to get the most abrasion . And yeah i chase mainly Mulloway but if you have a decent leader on and a fish takes you into a snag you have less chance of the leader getting snapped if it is heavier and more chance of getting the fish out ?

I use a true 10lb line for all my light lure work it's the same diametre of most 4-6lb test braids and use different rods for plastics and hardbodies, wippy rod for hards and a stiffer rod for plastics and an even stiffer rod for blades and topwater.The only rod that I know of that would be a good allrounder is a loomis DSR 820 GLX 4-8lb but their a bit hard to find at the moment.cheers

Jimbojames, i can see what ur saying, i agree to an extent but since at this stage i pretty much have one reel that does all my light work i would prefer to have a good strength main line and adjust the leader to suit conditions if u know wat i mean. having said that, i dont fish for mulloway. im planning on saving up for another reel and putting 6lb braid on it for a true light setup and seeing how i go with that.

Yeah i mainly chase Mullys but i catch everything on 6lb setup from Mully's to Cod Callop Catfish Silvers Carp Snapper Bream Redfin and this is all on the one out fit . I just use the different leader for different situations ? Hell i have used a 4lb set up with 20lb leader chasing Mully's before and biggest i landed was an 80cm . Just set your drag accordingly .

Yeah i mainly chase Mullys but i catch everything on 6lb setup from Mully's to Cod Callop Catfish Silvers Carp Snapper Bream Redfin and this is all on the one out fit . I just use the different leader for different situations ? Hell i have used a 4lb set up with 20lb leader chasing Mully's before and biggest i landed was an 80cm . Just set your drag accordingly .

Hey Jimbo, don't try 6lb in the murray for cod or you'll be spooled before you know it ;)

could even change the direction of the thread and ask what is the biggest/heaviest fish you have landed on the lightest gear, whether that be mainline or leader or both. i personally have not really done alot of ultra fishing, as discussed at the start of the thread i have just bought some 4lb to try out but probably the best i have done would be a 2.5kg ish salmon on 8lb leader. off the top of my head anyway. im hoping to change that this summer though.whats you best line breaking strain to size of the fish moment? :huh:

Mine is modest at best, a 9lb carp on 4lb line and leader. Caught that at Blanchetown last Summer.Have heard reports of one of the Mensforths fighting a 40lb kingfish at Coffin bay on 6lb setup when chasing salmon trout for live bait. I read a report on it in SA Angler and they fought it in boat for 90 minutes before the leader broke boatside.

I am up for a challenge Piranha . Have already landed a 70cm Cod on 6lb

Like any fish if you hook it in open water on light line and luck is on your side your a chance or your fishing an open feature-less dam, but realistically the lower murray holds mostly 110cm 50lb + cod that live in structure most of the time so on 6lb your just donating lures and hooks and would have very little chance of landing a decent fish.Kinda like saying your going fishing for great whites with 30lb line and no trace :dry: I wish you the best of luck Jimbo ;)

My SP set up is 6lb leader to 6lb braid on a Shimano Sedona 1500 match to a 2-4kg Dynamix Bream rod or a 2-4kg Venom Death Adder.

could even change the direction of the thread and ask what is the biggest/heaviest fish you have landed on the lightest gear' date=' whether that be mainline or leader or both. [/quote']A few LB PBs on this SP set up.Flathead @ 51cmPosted ImageSnook @ 80cmPosted ImageBream @ 41cmPosted ImageSalmon @ 47cm. An oldie, but this is what got me hooked on light weight SP fishing.Posted ImageGood luck with it mate. Cheers. B)

I use 8lb pe, but as piranha has said, it's way thiner-in my case about 2lb test equivalent. I use this with 2.5 and 6lb fluros for bream, mullies, trout ect on a 2004 reel and 1-2kg rod. Now also have a second 2-5kg set up with a 2500 which I will chuck most likely 12lb SAS or similar.Best I've caught on light isn't great, but a 37cm bream on 2.5lb, a 4.5kg sambo on 8lb, nd a 62cm mully on 6lb.Kuerchie, I've seen that in the 2010 summer addition. Pretty sick story!