Media release - Metropolitan shark fishing restrictions now permanent

Wonder what the swimmers, friends of the gulf, those who think the ocean is there for the exclusive use of humans only, and surf clubs will whinge about now? It certainly wont stop sharks coming close to beaches in the future and COULD be used as a precursor to have shore and jetty fishing along the metro coastline banned as well. This outcome is not a good one.

The alarmists that used old photos to generate a media frenzy and dupe Gago can be found here.http://m.adelaidenow.com.au/news/beachgoers-want-ban-on-shark-fishing/story-e6frea6u-1226250262398dupe1djuːp/verb1.deceive; trick."the newspaper was duped into publishing an untrue story"synonyms:deceive, trick, hoodwink, hoax, swindle, defraud, cheat, double-cross, gull, mislead, take in, fool, delude, misguide, lead on, inveigle, seduce, ensnare, entrap, beguile; More

Behind every cloud :rain: is a Silver lining :sun: Let's all list some positives?1/,,,, Restrictions do not apply between 9pm and 5am which is when sharkers normally operate?2/....Hook sizes have been increased by length and width.3/.... Wire can now be used with size limitations and ganged hooks with nylon between them.4/.... SHARK FISHING ON THE METRO COASTLINE HAS NOT BEEN TOTALLY BANNED :clap::clap::clap:

Behind every cloud :rain: is a Silver lining :sun: Let's all list some positives?1/' date=',,, Restrictions do not apply between 9pm and 5am which is when sharkers normally operate?2/....Hook sizes have been increased by length and width.3/.... Wire can now be used with size limitations and ganged hooks with nylon between them.4/.... SHARK FISHING ON THE METRO COASTLINE HAS NOT BEEN TOTALLY BANNED :clap::clap::clap:

Tony, those regs have been the case for the last 12 months.

Behind every cloud :rain: is a Silver lining :sun: Let's all list some positives?1/' date=',,, Restrictions do not apply between 9pm and 5am which is when sharkers normally operate?2/....Hook sizes have been increased by length and width.3/.... Wire can now be used with size limitations and ganged hooks with nylon between them.4/.... SHARK FISHING ON THE METRO COASTLINE HAS NOT BEEN TOTALLY BANNED :clap::clap::clap:

How can you chase sharks weekdays if you can't have a bait in till 9pm ? We can't fish the hour b4 sundown and onwards which would be the time and then in the morning you can't fish first light so not sure how they are the times sharkers operate

How can you chase sharks weekdays if you can't have a bait in till 9pm ? We can't fish the hour b4 sundown and onwards which would be the time and then in the morning you can't fish first light so not sure how they are the times sharkers operate
Fishing is to be conducted in a manner similar to prostitution. We all know it happens but just don't let anyone see you doing it..... :sos:

Would the clouds still have a silver lining if they banned fishing for redfin perch between the hours of 5am and 9pm? :laugh:

Would the clouds still have a silver lining if they banned fishing for redfin perch between the hours of 5am and 9pm? :laugh:
Must confess your comment raised a little giggle from this dyed in the wool reddy addict but it would be very difficult to compare shark fishing with redfin fishing at any level and as far as I know (and please don't quote me?) there has never been a single human redfin attack fatality anywhere in the World :clap::clap: :clap:As an aside, it is a scientific fact that redfin actually sleep at night so a ban would be totally un-neccesary between the hours of 9pm and 5am :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

I feel confident in saying that a ban on day time metropolitan shark fishing in unnecessary as well.Anyone who understands the marine environment off adelaide already knows that the sharks are there anyway.They're there for the sand crabs, snapper, tommies, garfish etc and an angler fishing say a salmon trout or mackeral out for sharks is not going to make any difference.Urban runoff, sewage, the torrens outlet etc all those sources of offal are much much more likely to attract a shark than a bloke fishing a salmon trout under a balloon.We all know that but unfortuantely some unneducated residents think they know better and are doing the right thing to protect their children by successfully lobbying for shark fishing to be banned.The Government sees it as an easy quick political fix when in reality the danger level to beach goers remains the same as it always has or possibly worse since white sharks become a protected species.Many people have lost touch with the natural environment and falsely believe that quick fixes like this will suddenly make the beaches safer.

Can't say I didn't see this coming. Where was the promised consultation and review? Oh that's right' date=' the latte sipping greenies who got this introduced in the first place had their consultation and review 12 months ago.[/quote']The only science was social science.....whatever it takes to minimize 'interactions' with fishers to keep the bleeding hearts happy.At least commercial fishers get real science through stock assessments. We get no marine science but banned anyway.

Fishing is to be conducted in a manner similar to prostitution. We all know it happens but just don't let anyone see you doing it.....

Im sorry but as a tackleshop owner I cant be seen to condone this.... but as my alter ego Lord Blackbilly i nearly wet myself laughing! So true :clap: I wish the people that represent us would actually pull their heads out of the sand for once rather than their hands out of their pockets :headbang:

Using artificial sharks placed at various depths and locations along a stretch of southern NSW, the study noted plane crews spotted just 12.5 per cent of the dummies.Helicopters, which are used for all WA's aerial patrols, were marginally better, identifying 17.1 per cent of the dummy sharks.Colin Barnett, whose Government significantly increased funding for aerial shark patrols, stood by the practice as an "important and effective tool" to safeguard swimmers.

Seriously fail to understand how people can say this stuff with a straight face. Yes it's so effective that you can't even spot 1 in 5 sharks off the coast. That's the very definition of effectiveness right there... /sarcasm :d/

I just read the new release and I find it quite stupid. We all knew that the :sh fishers were going to get bent over in the long run. The permanent :sh fishing restrictions wont stop illegal :sh fishing activities, I see people all the time :sh fishing using wind on leaders, 400lb stainless steel wire trace and hooks up to size 12/0 between the hours 5 AM to 9PM. Because there is a limited number of Fisheries Officers in South Australia the chances of get caught on our metropolitan beaches is very low even if someone does reports it to fishwatch.

I just read the new release and I find it quite stupid. We all knew that the :sh fishers were going to get bent over in the long run. The permanent :sh fishing restrictions wont stop illegal :sh fishing activities' date=' I see people all the time :sh fishing using wind on leaders, 400lb stainless steel wire trace and hooks up to size 12/0 between the hours 5 AM to 9PM. Because there is a limited number of Fisheries Officers in South Australia the chances of get caught on our metropolitan beaches is very low even if someone does reports it to fishwatch.[/quote']Its only illegal because it was made so without evidence. I am not surprised if more rec fishers are just giving the gov the big finger. The gov also legally allowed the slaughter of snapper, garfish and blue crabs recently. What difference does lawful overexploitation make to the environment or the rest of society? I guess using any opportunity to over regulate 236, 000 reccies brings in the most revenue?
  • 4 weeks later...
I just read the new release and I find it quite stupid. We all knew that the :sh fishers were going to get bent over in the long run. The permanent :sh fishing restrictions wont stop illegal :sh fishing activities' date=' I see people all the time :sh fishing using wind on leaders, 400lb stainless steel wire trace and hooks up to size 12/0 between the hours 5 AM to 9PM. Because there is a limited number of Fisheries Officers in South Australia the chances of get caught on our metropolitan beaches is very low even if someone does reports it to fishwatch.[/quote'] Went sharking the other month at 5pm of the jetty with mono and regulation hooks and wire trace to put on after 9pm i was the only chump everone else was still using wire add the did not give a toss in my eyes this is how to get it banned out right PS got a nice eaglie and a couple small bronzies on mono cheers

SpartanThe fact that there is either mass ignorance or mass deliberate non-compliance I think would hardly lead to a 24/7 shark tackle restriction extension.This BS was implemented to supposedly "limit interaction" between shark fishers and other beach users [ie "Yes Minister" speak for "politically driven"], thus I would suggest if there is such a level of non-compliance it is surely down to enforcement during the specified "sensitive" period...as there is hardly a great deal of potential "interaction" between 9pm and 5am?