YFW - they REALLY DO like lures!

Ive loosely followed the idea of catching YFW on lures for years now, but have never attempted it, mainly because most of my fishing is undertaken from a boat.Over the lst few months Ive been reading and gearing up and this afternoon I launched my first assault.I'd have to say that I chase the worst conditions - the tide this afternoon was full quite early, plus it was a reasonably low tide. The wind blew like crazy last night and the water was full of ribbon grass - I could probably count the number of cast that succeeded without getting tangle on one hand. Plus, it was a blowy day to boot.I started the session with a clear coloured Sugapen however this was difficult as I couldnt see it in the chop. I did feel like I got a few taps on it but given the weed it ws hard to know for sure. I swapped colours to an orange which made life easier. Whilst the weed prevented me from being able to run a lure long enough to catch a fish I was amazed at how many fish rose to take a peak.Im particularly curious to know if others experience is that the YFW suss the lure out first before striking? Do people also maintain their retrieve speed when they have fish trailing.All in all - I think Im addicted!Oh, and the new Infeet rod is a dream - if anyone was considering one!

There are days where the yfw will just smash the lure and other days they will follow it and check it out then shy away. If you get this happening speed your retrieve up a little as it will usually make them compete against each other and have a go at itAlso under 10-12 knots usually makes it easier to work the lure

I'm sold guys! I hit Tennyson this morning at bottom of tide at 1030 , there were two massive schools of them cruising up and down the sand bars. I used the bassday orange and first cast they swarmed all around it and followed the lure all the way in! Second cast went straight overs the top and out the back of the school , jigging it through the school they went into a frenzy and smashed it ! This was the most fun ive had YFW fishing in years ! I also had a rod holder I've made sitting in the sand bar with another rod baited and sitting in the water , thanks to des's post( finessing) I followed the rig he posted.......THANKS DES! This rig worked a treat.. I've never been so busy fishing , if the baited rod wasn't bending the lure was being smashed... I was like a little child in a candy shop. I was amazed to actually see em jumping out of the water in the school .my first metro bag was had in 1 1/2 hours. I must say using my spotters was definitely helpful in first spotting them on arrival at the beach. I stayed on after my bag was reached trialling the clear bassday lure to less of an affect as yhe orange but still managed to land em. After two hours of fishing it was like school of fish went to lunch and disappeared never to return again the rest of the Arvo . Any how it's fair to say YFW on lures..............BLOODY OATH!!! Now to somehow wipe the smile off of my face. This little camper will definitely be back tommorrow .... After he puts in a split system for his mate..... Boooooooo :clap::clap::clap:

I'm sold guys! I hit Tennyson this morning at bottom of tide at 1030 ' date=' there were two massive schools of them cruising up and down the sand bars. I used the bassday orange and first cast they swarmed all around it and followed the lure all the way in! Second cast went straight overs the top and out the back of the school , jigging it through the school they went into a frenzy and smashed it ! This was the most fun ive had YFW fishing in years ! I also had a rod holder I've made sitting in the sand bar with another rod baited and sitting in the water , thanks to des's post( finessing) I followed the rig he posted.......THANKS DES! This rig worked a treat.. I've never been so busy fishing , if the baited rod wasn't bending the lure was being smashed... I was like a little child in a candy shop. I was amazed to actually see em jumping out of the water in the school .my first metro bag was had in 1 1/2 hours. I must say using my spotters was definitely helpful in first spotting them on arrival at the beach. I stayed on after my bag was reached trialling the clear bassday lure to less of an affect as yhe orange but still managed to land em. After two hours of fishing it was like school of fish went to lunch and disappeared never to return again the rest of the Arvo . Any how it's fair to say YFW on lures..............BLOODY OATH!!! Now to somehow wipe the smile off of my face. This little camper will definitely be back tommorrow .... After he puts in a split system for his mate..... Boooooooo :clap::clap::clap:[/quote']That's great news king prawn! Hope to see you there today smashing some yfw on poppers! :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Hey guys,a mate and i had a crack at some YFW with bloodworms during the week - He got an undersized YFW, while I managed 2 small flathead and a ~23cm Salmon.What lures were you using? I usually have more success on bait, but would love to give it another go if i know what sort of lure to use.

I went out to Tennyson this afternoon after chasing bream in West Lakes. Tried my first attempt at poppering for yfw. I used the Zerek Popparazzi first and then the bassday sugapen second. Had no hits in 90 minutes but didn't really have a clear idea of what technique to use. Mixed up the speeds a fair bit but didn't see any schools when I waded.

I went out to Tennyson this afternoon after chasing bream in West Lakes. Tried my first attempt at poppering for yfw. I used the Zerek Popparazzi first and then the bassday sugapen second. Had no hits in 90 minutes but didn't really have a clear idea of what technique to use. Mixed up the speeds a fair bit but didn't see any schools when I waded.

We too went to tennyson after a flick at west lakes with no luck. The water was surprisingly calm and clear but couldn't see any fish. After about 30mins we had our first hits on the Berkley scum dog which we thought was a yfw! Had a couple more follows but then we saw a shape that looked like a st. But we couldn't really tell and afterwards, they disapeared. :(

So, I thought Id back it up today given the weather was almost perfect (until the very moment I decided to go fishing). Whilst the wind had picked up, and it was raining, I headed down to my trusty beach once more with a greater degree of confidence.I got smashed by a monster YFW - I hesitated quite a bit given its been a long time since I fished so light. The hooks pulled. This happened another 4 or so times. All on the sugapen.I changed lures late in the game and whilst it didnt produce a YFW, I successfully caught two massive tommies.Whats people's experience - do you change the trebles on the sugapens and to what (singles or smaller trebles?).Or, is it simply my technique and I need to have more confidence in setting the hooks?Finally, my fishing was fairly random - do people ever attempt to burley to hod a school whilst fishing in this manner?

I only changed the trebles on my sugapen once they got rusty. I have changed to a smaller owner treble as i felt the original ones were a bit big.One thing i have learnt with yfw on lures is to make sure to really set the hook, once i get hit and am hooked up i usually give the rod a good jerk to really set the hook as the yfw have a uncanny nack of throwing trebles when they are at your feet.With all this talk of yfw on lures lately i think (cough cough) i might be in for a sicky later this week :vomit:

Now I'm wondering what method people have for holding school of gold bars in the area once they're on the chew??? Let me know

NONE!Just don't spook them. And simply follow them. They mainly move in the direction of the water flow. Sometimes they back track from where they came.Berley only brings their competitors in that will strip your bait before the YFW!!! Cheers, Des