PENN 113H2 REEL

Hi Plankton....iv had older senators before and this is a joke compared. the spacing between the handle and the star drag is tiny and very hard (and stiff as fk to operate, even oiled up) the line never seems to lay evenly on the reel no matter what you do. and all of the lines/braids of tried on it manage to find some form of knot of annoying loop. And its plastic "bits" on the reel are a massive turn off.I have a couple of old penn peer 309 reels and they are another ball game compared.il stick with them.

• 3 weeks later...

yes guys...check out the penn squall series of reel I have just got one, totally different story.....way way way better quality (not a solid metal reel but still well made) same base manufacture process as the international apparently. has a few annoying plastic parts but on the whole solid. and not too expensive 180 bucks shipped form usa. check them out, well done penn, you have seen the light again.

I have the Squall 12, 15 and 40LD. All are excellent reels. The 12 and 15 are the first ones that I grab when going surf fishing, good tough reels and great for when distance is needed, very smooth drag too. The 40LD I have spooled with 25lb Ultima Distance, intending to use it for sliding big baits for sharks. I have had a few casts with it but I will have a go at adding some mags for spool control. It definitely has potential.Cheers!SBEdit: Just realised the reels on the rods in my avatar are the smaller Squalls :-)

Just had a go at static magging the Squall 40LD for casting and thought I'd post some pics of the inside of the reel for those interested.First pic, new static mags at the top of the side plate, I think I might have to add a couple more magnets.20131222_190406.jpgNext, Nice double dog ratchet, should be pretty hard to break this one.20131222_190846.jpgNext pic shows the stainless steel gearing.20131222_190907.jpgNext shows the drag, nice wet (greased) carbon fibre.20131222_191056.jpgLast pic shows the end of the spool with the drag reassembled. This is where lever drags have an advantage over star drags as when drag is being pulled it does not place pressure on the gearing, and the gearing is not turning. The double dogs engage on the ratchet cog in the pic, and only the spool and friction washer turns when drag is being taken.20131222_191202.jpgHope this helps! :-)SB