Shimano rep's number?

Guys, same may have read that 2 of my rods snapped when simply casting with light weights when I last went fishing.Uncanny in itself before aadding the fact they where both Shimano Jewels.The 1-4 was a one piece, but the 6-8 was a 2 piece.Thus I'd appreciate the reps number to see about getting a new top piece organized for the 6-8 at the very least.Probs best to email me the number if u can help, just to avoid the fickle nature of the local pm function atm.Alternatively, I'd welcome an tackle shops willing to help me.Thanx

my Jewel snapped as well, was casting a very small whiting sinker. i liked the rod but wont be buying another after that and having heard that urs broke as well...hmmm, dodgy batch perhaps? whatever, anyone else had a Jewel snap on them, i know its a fairly popular rod.i have been meaning to get a new rod but in the meantime gone back to my ol' faithful 1-4kg Ugly Stik, will probably stick with that for all my whiting bait fishing and look at a new dedicated setup for SP's and lure sesh's.

I have worked in the tackle trade for many, many years & the usual way a shimano warranty claim is resolved is you return to the store where the rod (s) were purchased with the receipt & when the rep has seen & approved the claim a new rod will be shipped. I have yet to see a claim rejected in the warranty period to date. Addnote- Shimano jewels are now out of supply so will proberbly be replaced with the equivalent model in production.

Yeah projoe's pretty much on the money. Unfortunately you generally won't get a single piece replaced like that, usually if it's under warranty they will replace the entire rod. The Jewels have been replaced by the new range of Catana's which are really nice rods. The Catana Nano's are the same price range and in my opinion, better quality rods than the Jewels.

Rods snapping is a bad thing,the problem lies in the new wave materials and high grade carbon imo,the rod itself may be good in theory and a superb tool,but all it takes is a bang in transit,or a scrape along the side of the boat.The thinness /lightness of the blank ,combined with a very highly strung material can form a tiny weak spot,not visible to the naked eye,that under the right kind of pressure will let go,even sometimes the blank will explode.I know this because i do a bit of coarse fishing with carbon fibre poles,these can be up to 16 metres long,i have one 10.5 metres that the carbon is that high it weighs no more than a standard surf rod, awesome but its common knowledge that sections shattering are normally the result of it taking a knock ect.I know of guys who have paid big money and had them imported only to have a section explode on the first outing,and normally its put down to some kind of bad packaging/handling in transit.The same would go for those jewell rods,a batch may have been knocked about ,poorly looked after and you may get quite a few with existing weak spots in them before they are even used.cheers B)

I wont lie and tell anybody the rods are under warrenty of any type.I got the 1-4 from SFS just over 2 years ago and the 5-8 from Mo tackle cos no one had it locally.I dont have reciepts for either anymore.I would just like to at least get one working again.Both broke right on the edge of a binding, both times simply a light cast away from the boat.poppa was with me, he couldnt belive it either.Ive always transported them in the car with me, only time they where in rocket launchers was between spots, never with sinkers attached. :blink:

T hull= Credit card and payapl.I cant be arsed getting the wife to investigate either, probs do more harm than good when I get her to start trolling bank records regarding my spendings.Ive rung 2 of the big tackle stores in Adelaide, one a big franchise, the other a south australian icon ( Not R&A ).both said the same thing, shimano will want half the price of the rod for a new section, regardless if its the bottom half with the reel seat etc or the top half with a handfull of eyes :blink::blink: Pretty crap on the behalf of shimano IMHO, and I've asked both stores to come back to me with an exact price and availabilty considering what Ugs has said about the jewels life span.a quick google came up with this too, not the best:http://fishwrecked.com/image/shimano-jewel-what-rod

Both stores promptly rang me back, good service on their behalf, Shimano rep told them both they have no more Jewel stock and obviously not making any more. Un fortune circumstances or not, in this case I don’t think as a consumer I’ve done anything wrong, but have no choice to take it on the chin.It’s funny, little things like this make or break brand loyalty.

seems to me that they are really good rods for the money (i had 2 but had one mysteriously snap as detailed above) but if u get a dud it can snap over nothing. i am a Shimano user through and through but hearing all these stories about jewels breaking makes me wonder if i should be looking at other brands a bit more. if a rod is in warranty and it breaks it should be replaced unless it can be proved that it was high sticked or mis-used and really, how can they prove that?