Eagle ray recipes ?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Heres a link to a thread I posted in a while ago about how to cook eagles
http://www.strikehook.com/index.php/topic/21673-eating-eagleblack-rays/?p=242295
just down from that post I think I had some information about preparing the meat as well

the bad review which some people seem to give to rays is nonsense in my opinion cooking a ray is just as easy as cooking any fish (Actually its even easier when you take into consideration you don't have to gut it or remove any bones)
Soak it in milk for an hour before cooking to remove any ammonia taste although I haven't found much difference between soaking it and not soaking.
You can cook it in basicly anything, When I first tried to cook an eagle ray all i did was cut a bit of meat off the flap and simmered it in a pot of water with a bit of lemon pepper in it, came out tasting beautiful.
You can crumb it, flour it, stew it, bake it, fry it, boil it the possibilities are endless.
If you're going to fry it I'd avoid the meat from the tip of the wing as it tends to get tougher the further away from the spine you get, if you're making it into a curry or stew it won't make a difference though
It also freezes down extremely well, When I first made curried eagle ray I had some excess curry left over so I froze it down, forgot about it 6 months later found it in the freezer again brought it out microwaved it and it tasted just as good as the day I first did it

Next time I catch an eagle I'd be happy to make a video or something similar of a recipe and how to clean one down quickly and efficiently if you're interested, just gotta get some good weather on my days off from work  :(