Marion bay deep sea charter tackle advice

I don't know how deep they'll fish but for me in that area I have never needed more than 8 Oz of Snapper leads, most of the times 6 Oz. If it is Nannies and Snapper I'd be happy with 5/0 size hooks. For samson and kingies I'd match the hook to the bait, so it is impossible to tell. If they use live bait maybe some 5/0 to 7/0 live bait or circle hooks.

I Fished out of Marion bay last year, 6-8oz sinkers, anything between 35-80m deep, depending on the day and area fished may have a strong current as well.10-15kg rod with a suitable reel is the go. Maybe take a 8kg outfit if you find the whiting in close.These days , for bottom bashing, I prefer a spinning reel, but partly cos I don’t have an overhead with a suitable ratio.6/0 minimum hooks, else you will spend all your time un hooking rubbish fish that get to the bait before something worth keeping does.Its lucky dip bottom bashing, could be a 40cm snapper that takes your bait, or a 55cm whiting, but you may get tested by a 5ft gummy next hook up.Unless you are going mid winter and specifically chasing sambos or Kings, the above will have you sorted on most occasions.I too don’t like using the gear supplied on the odd occasion I’ve been on a charter. It’s usually well used and of questionable quality.Plus, if you have your own, I’d rather use what I’m comfy with

Ive fished with Herbie a number of times now, from bottom bashing to tuna. They are a very good charter operator. Gear wise - they have some pretty decent stuff - in fact, they often have some higher end gear in amongst the typical penn charter stuff.If youre taking your own gear then I wouldnt bother with the terminal tackle - theyll be happy to rig you up. If youve booked a bottom bashing trip then its likely youll be fishing in up to 100 metres and depending on the tide - some strong current. I once took an overhead but found that it fatigued me (rod butt under the arm) - youre better off with an egg beater.From memory, they also recommend a wind on leader up to around 80 lbs.There is an enormous diversity of fish on the bottom trips - so much so that Ive even caught a 40kg Samson amongst the Nannys!Have a great time.

P1010030.JPG