daly heads, gleesons landing Yorkes fishing tips?

Just a tip kgbeats,the northern end of gleesons is a tricky spot to find if you dont know your way around there,its not a matter of just rocking up,you have to access it via a track on your right ,before you get to gleesons landing itself,then there are several tracks to your left leading in through the dunes and only one of them is the right one,and then you need a 4x4 to get in,or a long long walk.There is another way in to even better beach,at the extreme northern end,and thats also a 4x4 track that leads in from swincers rocks.Same deal with that as well.Not trying to put you off at all just saying.good luck on your trip ,cheers B)

Cal's on the money. The track 'to the right' has a gate off the Gleesons road and runs a km or so to the north, on the eastern side of the dunes before cutting thru to the beach. The track is actually do-able in 2wd untill if cuts thru the dunes where there is deep soft sand in areas. Would be a decent walk thru the dunes. Take a look via Google maps will give you an idea.Can drive to The Dust Hole carpark, just south off Daly Heads then a nice 'west coast' style set of steps down the the beach. Does give you an excellent view of prospective gutters. Seems some drive onto the beach through the dunes half way down or so but no idea where, may be locals and it's private property? Be some decent sand dune 4wd driving.

• 5 years later...
On 13/12/2013 at 10:29 AM, Underpants said:

Take a look via Google maps will give you an idea.Can drive to The Dust Hole carpark, just south off Daly Heads then a nice 'west coast' style set of steps down the the beach. Does give you an excellent view of prospective gutters.

Hi Underpants,

If I follow Daly Head Road to the end is that where the Dust Hole is and I can get onto the beach via those steps? The Dust Hole is the beach south of the Daly Head?

Ta

On 28/12/2018 at 11:09 PM, Grebzy said:

Hi Underpants,

If I follow Daly Head Road to the end is that where the Dust Hole is and I can get onto the beach via those steps? The Dust Hole is the beach south of the Daly Head?

Ta

Yeah that's it. There's a carpark not far from Daly Head. Been a while since ive been there and was down that nice long staircase!

Have seen some folk 4WDing into the dunes to access the beach south of the the carpark, locals i assumed and possibly via private property?

• 5 weeks later...

The track to the Dust Hole beach is private property. When you get to the carpark it is on the left. Last time I was there the fence was cut. It gets cut regularly it seems.

Also, when I was fishing at Gleesons on the beach through the track described above some dudes came past driving on the beach from Gleesons Landing. They didn't have any problems, even stopped to watch us surf.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2013 at 2:38 PM, kgbeats said:

Hey all im heading over to Yorkes after the new year with the old man staying at either Gleesons Landing or Daly Heads campsite. as he will be surfing the whole time im wondering what fish i should be targeting at these spots land based! any pointers for that area would be great cheers!

I don't know if you have been down that way yet ,but if you haven't , there is a bunch of top blokes down at Gleesons , always helpful , and love a beer and a chat , say Hi for me if down that way , top spot and good fishing cheers

Have heard that the farmer who owns the private property (daly heads beach entrance) gets pretty wild about people cutting his fence, driving through his property and then have the nerve to ask for a tow because they've gotten them selves bogged. 

Have seen 4x4s down there, would be great if we could use the beach but like all 4x4 access areas someone leaves rubbish and destroys the area for eveyone

14 hours ago, dmac said:

Have heard that the farmer who owns the private property (daly heads beach entrance) gets pretty wild about people cutting his fence, driving through his property and then have the nerve to ask for a tow because they've gotten them selves bogged. 

Have seen 4x4s down there, would be great if we could use the beach but like all 4x4 access areas someone leaves rubbish and destroys the area for eveyone

I don't know whether it is the same owner but they used to run horse tours through the dunes and along the beach. I did it years ago. 

Maybe just front up and ask him if you can access the beach through his property?