West Lakes Permit

shood there be a permit for lure anglers,who do nothing wrong but fish and leave no mess or trace of them even being there. this will mean we can access every part of west lakes land based with out any hassels from ressidents??this idea has come into my head after many experiences of trying to fish it but residents just take it too far when nothing bad is goin on. fishing is something that actually keeps me out of trouble but at the moment its just gettin me right in the middle of it. sideshow.. ;)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gidday sideshowI only fish westlakes L/B a couple of times a year :'( when I come to Adelaide ,I agree with you mate there should be more areas open to pedestrians,and responsible fishos,unfortunatly for folk like yourself and many others the pigs and parasites cause the problems >:( not the residents in these areas.The next time i fish there I'll probably hire a kayak for the day ($35 from Adelaide canoe works).If it makes you feel any better a similar thing has happened in my home waters over the last 20 years where due to the oxygen bandits who leave there rubbish etc on the river bank property owners have been denying access to lots of folk including responsible fishos I have found the best way to access these areas is to approach the owners personally.This may be a bit hard in westlakes but if i lived and fished there on a regular basis I would be door knocking with big eyes and lots of pleases .Good luck and keep keeping out of trouble ;) Cheers peelipeeli 13

After being told last week that all fishermen leave their rubbish behind by a council worker .And me telling him nicely that, that would be bait fishers.As a fly guy If I leave anything behind by way of gear it costs me money !!!I would think sometime in the future we may get banned from fishing west lakes .More signs are going up like the one near bower rd end of the lake indicating the distance from brdiges(not bridge there) to be kept clear and not fished.Interesting for me the 20m rule if I am out in front of a house in the water after walking from the beach.Where does the 20 m start and finish.Personally if bait fishing was banned and it was turned into an artificial only fishing zone the locals and council might be friendly towards us .And just a note the council worker and local I was chatting with have no love of the DRAGON BOAT club either .Plus the skull boat users have language a problem seems they only use the fowl kind ;)according to a local .

gidday luke-westlakes :-[ whats that your saying L/W, "i have a hearing problem mate you will have to speak up" or " get a life buddy its not your water" or "ke i no unerstand inglish :-[ " or " :-* :-* :-* " or just go .hissy. .hissy. :stir: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: no really I understand how frustating it would be if fishing was further restricted in west lakes,I just hope i can still fish it when i come down to Adelaide as i usually stay at Adelaide beachfront caravan park .Next to where the end of year get together is next weekend,cheers mate peelipeeli 13

I dunno if I had a $1000,000.00 dollar house I wouldnt want dudes parked out the back of my yard all day long either. I understand where u r coming from but once u let someone there then u have to police it. Eventually u will have the yobbos and the rubbish and the swearing. They bought a property with the view of the water not some yobbos arse crack all day long. :icon_lol:Dude theres plenty of Big bream and mullies in tonnes of areas u CAN fish. Places like the inlet pipes and whatever Im glad there out of bounds.

I dunno if I had a $1000,000.00 dollar house I wouldnt want dudes parked out the back of my yard all day long either. I understand where u r coming from but once u let someone there then u have to police it. Eventually u will have the yobbos and the rubbish and the swearing. They bought a property with the view of the water not some yobbos arse crack all day long. :icon_lol:Dude theres plenty of Big bream and mullies in tonnes of areas u CAN fish. Places like the inlet pipes and whatever Im glad there out of bounds.

I agree with you re the houses .I personally would like the place off limits to BAITFISHERS.And before I get in a heated debate we all know the ones I mean.The people that bait fish and leave rubbish behind or keep undersized fish.My reasons I hate being told you leave your rubbish behind you fisherman etc etc .I leave nothing behind unless I have a break off other than my footsteps .BUT just be aware there are more and more no fishing signs going up around the lake spotted another one by the outlet today.And I tend to upset no one unless they say something to me first.BUT I have had council inspectors watch me they must have gotten bored, didnt catch anything and i never left the lake :)Cheers

Giday Highfly :icon_idea: As im only new to bream fishing,dont have a boat,only get to lure fish for bream a couple of times a year as i live in the bush,mabbee you can P/M me as to where these so called BIG BREAM in tonnes of areas are . I just hope there somwhere around the bottom end of westlakes as thats close to the area where i stay :-X :-X peelipeeli 13Im like mickyj i only leave my tyre tracks and footprints where i fish thus ensuring a welcome back :angel: :fishing:

Giday Highfly :icon_idea: As im only new to bream fishing,dont have a boat,only get to lure fish for bream a couple of times a year as i live in the bush,mabbee you can P/M me as to where these so called BIG BREAM in tonnes of areas are . I just hope there somwhere around the bottom end of westlakes as thats close to the area where i stay :-X :-X peelipeeli 13Im like mickyj i only leave my tyre tracks and footprints where i fish thus ensuring a welcome back :angel: :fishing:

One tip watch the edges of the lake if the dragon boats are going up and down.you would never believe the size of the fish that come form the middle of the lake.

Thanks MickyjThat might explain my first decent .fishswim. (and Only) bream one morning in september on way to meet and fish with Ranger and Grumpy (the illfated "day of the loose bungs" ) :icon_e_surprised: If i recall the dragonboats were in the area. Cheers and thanks for the tip peelipeeli 13 size=1280http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/Cs6zevmS__1st_good_bream.jpg[/img] [file name=z9rf1RC6__39.5cm_bream size=439753]http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/z9rf1RC6__39.5cm_bream[/file]

No disrespect to anything people are saying here,about baitfishes ect.But two things that in recent times that really P me off are used gulp packets and also disused braided line.So I think its a case of making sure as individuals we do the right thing,whatever type of fishing we do,unfortunately there will always be an element ,no one likes to pick up after someone else,but if a local sees us being proactive it may go a little way towards better things ,[what else can we do?]Only recently been giving WL a bit more serious attention but have seen this at a couple of spots.Fair enough,the guy with the big house having a crack,but technically he chose to buy a house with a pontoon sticking into the water,if you went across his land to access it,yeah you are in the wrong.But being on the water casting at it ,whats wrong with that.And as for threatening to put a bullet in your head,just shows that even if some people have money ,it doesnt stop them from being a degenerate A hole.I would fair dinkum tell him to go and get Fckd,and tell him if he threatened me like that again the cops would be paying him a visit.Threatening life IS a criminal offence.My 2c

Permit my arse,its a free country and i,ll fish where ever i can,you can bet if baitfishing was banned at the lake the rest of us being banned wouldn,t be far behind.I try to be friendly too any residents i meet and haven,t yet had a problem...then again i reckon some people are less likely to say something to me than they would a couple of pimply faced scruffy young lads. ;D ;D :P cheers brenton

After reading this thread,and you guy's in kayaks are getting told to p**s off also.. MY answer to them is ...You only own the land to the high water mark,not the lake,so F**K OFF...And if they continue to hassle ya,just call the cops,as you have every right to be there.. Also if there is a public walk-way along the waters edge,also tell them to F**K OFF,as you have the right to be there,and its public ground.. ;D ;D Also if you arent physically on thier pontoon or in contact with thier pontoon..Tell them to go and F**K THEMSELFS... ;) Also...PERMITS.You can shove that idea where the sun don't shine..

I've never had a problem with any of the locals on the water or landbased. Only got told to move on by the coucil guy in a boat once but on that occasion he was less than pleasant to deal with. In fact he was down right rude. I didn't know I couldn't fish there and there were no signs I noticed (did see one after it was pointed out half hidden in a bush).

I see why you called urself grumpy :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .boat.PS I'm not big on any more money comin from our pockets either.U give the pollies an inch..........On the pontoons, its "THEIR PONTOONS".If I paid for my own private pontoon I would want u hanging ur lures and crappiolla all over my pontoon either.U r in a kayak for goodness sake paddle ya lazy bums and find the bream away from private property. Many catch heaps without ever annoying the residents. Instead of worrying about where u cant fish go find and work out the spots u can. Petitioning and hassling the residents will probably cost u more fishable locations then get u anything. :icon_idea:

Its a public lake and you can yak and fish where you like except in the signed areas. Why buy a house on a public lake if you dont want people out the front?? Dont like it? Move........

100% with ya Thahn...I have had enough of being told where I can fish or not...As far as I'm concerned,if you dont cause any property damage or leave rubbish behind...WHAT IS THEIR PROBLEM...

Support from super Thahn GEE thats a suprise. :icon_lol:Guys I reckon all for fishn where ya want to ...too.BUT Sometimes its better the devil u know Be realistic, if the residents get their backs up who do u think would win the war. The humble reccies or the wealthy land owners. Theres plenty of spots for everyone, LOOK AT THE POSITIVE, look at all the water u have got not the relatively small amount of water u dont,...........why dwell on the negative and more importantly why shit in ur own nest.If u guys wanna annoy the landowners and fish near their pontoons eventually u will be banned from fishing within 50m of their pontoons LEGALLY. That is the inevitable outcome of disputes with the landowners, history has shown us that already....But hang on Super Thahn has spoken perhaps he can part the waters like Moses for us all and we can all walk to the middle of the lake with him. Hes a tournemant fishher u know :icon_lol:

hey Thahn thats a great point, tha 1's stayin in my head 4 next time. i think west lakes is gettin out of hand man. i went for a bream sesh yestaday nd got anoutha 4 peopole come out nd complain. one guy tried 2 snap my rod.from now on im jst gonna tell tem 2 :censored: off. if they wanna play around LOL. :icon_lol: but then again i had one guy ask watcha caught? nd then got in a conversation wit him 4 a good 10minz while i was fishin in front of his house. GOOD BLOKE HAY??

U r in a kayak for goodness sake paddle ya lazy bums and find the bream away from private property. Many catch heaps without ever annoying the residents. Instead of worrying about where u cant fish go find and work out the spots u can. By Highfly.... You obviously dont do much bream fishing...Bream love to hide under pontoons and around structure...As for hanging our lures etc on your precious pontoons....We do not do it for the fun of it,as they cost anywhere from 15-30 dollars each...Anyway if one is hanging off ya pontoon its a bonus,and put it in ya tackle-box...

Highfly you are a bloody idiot and you dont know me from a bar of soap so crawl back under the rock you came from. I dont fish tournaments anymore on club associated on light line tochering all the poor fish. The law is the law and hasnt changed. Unless they change the law and it would be hard. Unless you have made your own marina ie. dig your own marina the water is public property. Saying this you can not touch or board there pontoons.Once again Highfly Pi$$ off I wasnt having a crack at you before just voicing my opinion! Do I have to consult you before I do that? Maybe give me your phone number and I will do so next time you twat!

Guest Butters

Super Highfly.. its a public lake.. public fishing is allowed.. Just because ppl own houses on the lake it doesn't mean they can make there own rules and throw threats at ppl fishing legally..I'm with the rest.. if your not doing anything wrong stuff em.. Super Butters

No disrespect to anything people are saying here,about baitfishes ect.But two things that in recent times that really P me off are used gulp packets and also disused braided line.So I think its a case of making sure as individuals we do the right thing,whatever type of fishing we do,unfortunately there will always be an element ,no one likes to pick up after someone else,but if a local sees us being proactive it may go a little way towards better things ,[what else can we do?]Only recently been giving WL a bit more serious attention but have seen this at a couple of spots.Fair enough,the guy with the big house having a crack,but technically he chose to buy a house with a pontoon sticking into the water,if you went across his land to access it,yeah you are in the wrong.But being on the water casting at it ,whats wrong with that.And as for threatening to put a bullet in your head,just shows that even if some people have money ,it doesnt stop them from being a degenerate A hole.I would fair dinkum tell him to go and get Fckd,and tell him if he threatened me like that again the cops would be paying him a visit.Threatening life IS a criminal offence.My 2c

Well I have been known to put my foot in my mouth before :)Seen and caught plenty of bait plastic bags .not to mention rolls and rolls of discarded fishing line on the banks and cockle, mussel shells cooked crabs .Not to mention the number of undersized Bream left to rot on the banks and in the power lines at the bower rd end of the lake.Along with the odd used condom in the carpark at the bower rd end who wants to own up to them lol.As i posted i just leave footprints in the sand as I walk by and flick my SW Flies.

On the pontoons, its "THEIR PONTOONS".If I paid for my own private pontoon I would want u hanging ur lures and crappiolla all over my pontoon either.Petitioning and hassling the residents will probably cost u more fishable locations then get u anything. Sometimes its better the devil u know Be realistic, if the residents get their backs up who do u think would win the war. The humble reccies or the wealthy land owners. Theres plenty of spots for everyone, LOOK AT THE POSITIVE, look at all the water u have got not the relatively small amount of water u dont,...........why dwell on the negative and more importantly why shit in ur own nest.If u guys wanna annoy the landowners and fish near their pontoons eventually u will be banned from fishing within 50m of their pontoons LEGALLY. That is the inevitable outcome of disputes with the landowners, history has shown us that already....

I agree 100% and no-one liked it much when I voiced this opinion awhile back, when I suggested it's time to start taking steps to improve relationships between council, ratepayers and fishers at West Lakes before it's too late!As far as I'm now concerned, do as ya like out there! If ya wanna abuse landowners and stand up to them, then go ahead and abuse em, even if you're in the right and they're in the wrong!At the end of the day though, when disputes start and the council becomes involved, just remember, the rate payers there who PAY the council will get the support from the council. That's what the council is there for, to support the ratepayers! It's the free loading fishermen who give the council nothing who will be banned and moved on, be they right or wrong, and it'll be......FOR GOOD!Maybe even start looking for other places to fish now, or do you really think you can win this one? :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:You aint gonna see signs going up saying "no residents!" the only signs going up there will say "NO FISHING!"Just think about that next time ya tell a resident to "f*** off!" Coz that resident is gonna call the council to lodge a complaint. Enough complaints and the fisho's are gone, no if's and no but's!In fact I've even discussed this with the Charles Sturt Council while I was getting a permit from them for our show at Malcolm Reserve. They've had a lot of complaints about fishermen from residents, and they aint too sympathetic!

On the pontoons, its "THEIR PONTOONS".If I paid for my own private pontoon I would want u hanging ur lures and crappiolla all over my pontoon either.Petitioning and hassling the residents will probably cost u more fishable locations then get u anything. Sometimes its better the devil u know Be realistic, if the residents get their backs up who do u think would win the war. The humble reccies or the wealthy land owners. Theres plenty of spots for everyone, LOOK AT THE POSITIVE, look at all the water u have got not the relatively small amount of water u dont,...........why dwell on the negative and more importantly why shit in ur own nest.If u guys wanna annoy the landowners and fish near their pontoons eventually u will be banned from fishing within 50m of their pontoons LEGALLY. That is the inevitable outcome of disputes with the landowners, history has shown us that already....

I agree 100% and no-one liked it much when I voiced this opinion awhile back, when I suggested it's time to start taking steps to improve relationships between council, ratepayers and fishers at West Lakes before it's too late!As far as I'm now concerned, do as ya like out there! If ya wanna abuse landowners and stand up to them, then go ahead and abuse em, even if you're in the right and they're in the wrong!At the end of the day though, when disputes start and the council becomes involved, just remember, the rate payers there who PAY the council will get the support from the council. That's what the council is there for, to support the ratepayers! It's the free loading fishermen who give the council nothing who will be banned and moved on, be they right or wrong, and it'll be......FOR GOOD!Maybe even start looking for other places to fish now, or do you really think you can win this one? :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:You aint gonna see signs going up saying "no residents!" the only signs going up there will say "NO FISHING!"Just think about that next time ya tell a resident to "f*** off!" Coz that resident is gonna call the council to lodge a complaint. Enough complaints and the fisho's are gone, no if's and no but's!In fact I've even discussed this with the Charles Sturt Council while I was getting a permit from them for our show at Malcolm Reserve. They've had a lot of complaints about fishermen from residents, and they aint too sympathetic!
Yep your right Ranger. Perhaps I fish in an uncommon way I seem to get along with the locals .i have been held up a few times by locals regaling me with past deeds in europe using a fly rod.But doesnt it seem strange the biggest cries against fishers is being aired to Teens .Perhaps being my large frame people are scarred to tell me to bugger off.

yeh man im wiv ya s ayeverytime i go there fishen and havin a few brews i get in troublei hate them residents this bloke came out screamin at me and the missusbecause we were fishin off his pontoonwith the kids and me cousin dazza s familyi said he could still come on after we finished the barbybe he would nt be part of any of iti even offered him a chop