hey mate, i been dive around rapid bay and port nalonga with air tanks, i guess u talking about free dive with spearfishing right?i watch youtube someone free dive on a small boat down south a while ago, never really know someone actually did it.for rapid bay and port nalonga should be safe for free dive but dont just go by youselfwet suit its a must, especially rapid bay.wish above infor can help you. have good and safe dive if u go....happy new year..Richard

Hey mate, If you are after free diving i have been to Rapid bay. Calm conditions is a must. The sea dragons and squid were fascinating to watch in the shallower water, while various other fish species make an appearance. :f If you are diving with a tank i have been hearing of a reef a little bit out from Second Valley.. Hopefully someone else can elaborate further as i am also starting to sort diving schools.Cheers, S121.

Can't help with locations.Just wanted to say that whatever you do, get some formal training. I've been a professional/military diver, life support technician and hyperbaric chamber supervisor for my entire working life, currently working at the RAH Hyperbaric Unit. I'm getting tired of reading fatality reports of people with inadequate training drowning in shallow water while snorkelling.Just a friendly word of caution as part of my community safet role.CheersWahoo

some good advice! ive been snorkelling my whole life. used a reg a few times.. and finally getting the chance to get my Open water.any preferences? SSI or Padi? im curently booked into a SSI course.my bro in law was a tuna diver down in lincoln.. so got plenty of gear avail one im licensed.

Hi DelI'd prefer not to voice an opinion, I have a bias toward PADI, but only because I know the CEO in the states and the Australian VP in charge of training. Both PADI & SSI run good training programs and also run good audit trails to ensure standards are kept up.Enjoy your course