Gummies in shallow water

Was talking to a mate who was fishing on Goolwa beach a few nights ago, he saw caught a pair of eyes in his headlight and is pretty certain it was a Gummy shark come right up into a couple of inches of water following his burley trail. Just wondering if this is normal for them to come into such shallow water and whether i might be casting too far out when targeting them? Anyone else seen this type of thing?

Was talking to a mate who was fishing on Goolwa beach a few nights ago' date=' he saw caught a pair of eyes in his headlight and is pretty certain it was a Gummy shark come right up into a couple of inches of water following his burley trail. Just wondering if this is normal for them to come into such shallow water and whether i might be casting too far out when targeting them? Anyone else seen this type of thing?[/quote']Most fish that you can catch in the surf will come right in close under the cover of darkness in search of food. They use the deeper gutters to move around, so if you're getting your baits into there you're in with the best chance. We are fairly lucky around here as most of our good surf beaches have deep gutters right in close so you don't really need to cast very far. One last tip, tell your mate not to shine his headlamp at the water, it spooks the fish. ;)
Was talking to a mate who was fishing on Goolwa beach a few nights ago' date=' he saw caught a pair of eyes in his headlight and is pretty certain it was a Gummy shark come right up into a couple of inches of water following his burley trail. Just wondering if this is normal for them to come into such shallow water and whether i might be casting too far out when targeting them? Anyone else seen this type of thing?[/quote']A whole variety of fish will feed in the shallow. Here is some food for thought. If you have a fish in a tank with 50cm of water the little bugger has heaps of space to dart, duck and weave his/her way around your little net or hand. Remove most the water down to about 5cm of water, he now has 95% less area to swim in and can only go sideways - much easier to catch. Predators (from trout & redfin through to Sharks and Dolphins) also work on this theory, but they keep their own safety at the forefront of their mind. Hence why they come in under the over of darkness (as plankton mentioned).Also, red globes/filter head lamps are best for beach fishing, flicking a head lamp on the water when fishing with me may see you go with no light until the morning sunrise.

I have caught a gummy at Browns that I saw in the moonlight in less than a foot of water snuffling up the discarded baits. Wound in and dropped bait in front of it and was on. Have also heard of cocklers catching then in their cockle nets as they are attracted to the disturbed cockles. I have personaly seen them and countless rays foraging in the wash for cockles. Also heard of a large mulloway that beached itself apparently in good health as it required a decent wrestle to subdue and drag out before the next wave. One time was fishing with a novice at Teatree who we were laughing wasn't making it past the wash, lo and behold right on dusk he gets a 30 lb jew. Predators certainly come right in if the conditions dictate.