Hi guys,Im close to purchasing a Daiwa sensor surf, 13ft (10-20kg) for mullies down saltcreek, mouth, etc.. What reel would you choose in the $200-400 bracket?? (i will be running 50lb braid).Im thinking of these; - Penn spinfisher V 10500- Shimano Saragosa 25000sw- Shimano Ultegra Fishing Reel - CI4+ 14000 XTB- Daiwa Seagate Hyper SH6000Any thoughts or better options out there?? Cheers.

I'm not personally familiar with any of those reels, I prefer to use overheads for my heavy surf work, but they're all great brands so I reckon you'd do well with any of them. The best thing would be to try them out on the rod and see how each feels.One word about the Sensor, Daiwa is notorious for overrating the casting weight of their surf rods. I had the overhead version of that rod which is rated to 180g but it won't even come close to casting that, let alone when you add a decent bait, so I sold it on. I would say 4oz and a good sized bait is the most it will handle well. Don't get me wrong, they're a nice rod, I have another lighter model that I love, but if you're after a rod to cast 5-6oz of lead and a bigger bait I would recommend looking elsewhere.

Well im after a heavy surf rod (around 13ft mark and rated to 10-20kg give or take) as i already have a 10ft uglystick surf rod for (salmon, rock fishing etc). Im just after a kickass heavy surf rod for big sharks and mullies down south.What would you recommend?? I toyed with the idea of getting a custom build sabre, but there just too much $$ for me.. I only go surf fishing 2 or 3 times a year anyway.

Hey buddyI have a 13ft sensor surf, it is a great rod but plankton is right I wouldn't feel comfortable casting massive baits and sinkers on it. Pilchards, squid and smaller to medium fillets of fish no problem. A lot of people swear by the wilson M144, I don't have one but I have heard good things, they are heavy though. But hey you don't always need to cast massive baits to catch decent fish either

As others have mentioned the older fiberglass rods are popular and tough as, I've personally never been a fan as their thick butt sections make casting an overhead reel difficult for me.There is a serious shortage in this country of decent carbon graphite and composite surf rods that are capable of handling heavier payloads. There are heaps of good rods available overseas in the US, UK and South Africa. My heavy surf rod that I use in places like Salt Creek is a US model Daiwa Saltiga (not the ballistic) that I got off ebay.As I stated, I don't use threadline setups for heavy surf work, but if I did want one I would take a good look at the Dynamix beach basher they sell at Ray and Anne's,http://www.rayannes.com.au/daiwa-shimano-reels-australia/rods-reels/shimano/shimano-rods/shimano-rods-dynamix-beach-basher-12ft-surf-rod-139/Pair that up with a Penn spinfisher or slammer and you'd have a sturdy outfit capable of handling any mully and small to medium sharks.

I personally think the spinfishers are unbreakable! Them or the pfleuger salt do the job for me in the surf at salt creek every time, and I fish there once every fortnight roughly. On the rod side of things, if your into something that's stood the test of time get a Snyder glas 'fish striker' Mt8144 or 'regal' 7153.... Hard to beat IMO both for money and quality, just my two cents worth :)

As far as reels go for what ever rod you end up with for beach work, don't overlook the Daiwa Emblem Pro. Great reel with heaps of drag and massive line capacity. There are a few models that have similar features from the wind cast to the Saltiga surf. The Emblem pro is in the middle of these in price. Before using this reel on my heavier surf spin rods, I used an American made Penn Spinfisher 850, which after 15 odd years of service is still in good shape.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah can't go wrong with the penn 950's, will hold 3-400m of 50lb braid easy, cheap as and I've never had a problem with them. I have them paired with a 12ft beach basher 10-15kg which is graphite with a glass tip and a Shakespeare beach elite 10-15kg which is full graphite. Both rods were $139 and are excellent but the beach elite is thinner and it feels a lot tougher under load. Don't have to spend up big to get good gear!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback guys, i bit the bullet and just bought a daiwa sensor surf 13' (10-20kg) paired with a daiwa emblem surf 5500 reel.. waiting on a 600m spool of 50lb sunline super pe braid.. the outfit looks and feels great in the hand, very excited to give it a work out on some mullies, salmon etc.. cheers!!

Sweet rig, good luck with it. Post up a report when you get amongst them next. 50lb braid on an Emblem Pro is a no nonsense "come here" set up. I run 30lb Tufline on my Emblem Pro and have found this ideal for casting with a 60lb leader long enough to get half a dozen wraps around the spool when casting. Go the FG or PR knot for line to leader knot as it glides through the guides nicely (I hate that clunking sound bulkier knots make when they hit each guide).