Cheap and cheerful combo reommendations please

OK guys, looking for some advice... I've spent the day (great excuse to stay in the air conditioning today!) trawling the net and can't say I really know what I'm looking at, or if it's any good!I'm finally looking to replace the old Ryobi GP combo that my ex bought me over 15 years ago, and if I get a new one , then so does the other half... so that severely limits the budget... to under $100 each, and that needs to include rod AND reel.We are 100% land based in our fishing and targeting whiting and flathead mainly but realistically, anything that bites! lol!So, here's the challenge... looking for a light to moderate action suitable for sp's and lures, whiting, flathead and a bit of general purpose land and jetty based fishing... and the combo has to come in at under $100 as we'll be getting two of them. I know I may be asking the impossible here, but I'd appreciate any advice on how to get a couple of reasonable quality set-ups at a bargain basement price!Cheers! :cheer:

Rays Outdoors and BCF have a Shimano combo of a Solstace reel with a Catana rod for $99 which is a great budget setup. My first combo that I bought was similar to this with the Catana rod and it has lasted me four years so far. Also BCF have a Shimano Sienna and Sonic pro combo for $69 which is a very good budget combo. The Siennas are great little reels with 4 ball bearings and are smooth to use.Other than that have a look at some Ugly stick combos that are in catalogues.

Rays Outdoors and BCF have a Shimano combo of a Solstace reel with a Catana rod for $99 which is a great budget setup. My first combo that I bought was similar to this with the Catana rod and it has lasted me four years so far. Also BCF have a Shimano Sienna and Sonic pro combo for $69 which is a very good budget combo. The Siennas are great little reels with 4 ball bearings and are smooth to use.Other than that have a look at some Ugly stick combos that are in catalogues.

x 2 for the above - This is pretty much the same as what I was going to suggest. Catana Combo and Sonic Pro Combo. I get 1 of each, you don't need to have the same gear especially if you don't have much equipment to start of with - just a thought. I think at BCF you might get a discount for signing up as a member - which is free. I am not 100% sure as I don't shop there. Most small stores will have these combos and price match.

I was looking at the one at Big W yesterday... it looks nice, but I'm always a bit suss on the sort of quality you get from those sort of places...Also been looking at these at BCF...Kato Predator http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Kato-Predator-Spin-Combos-6-6-2-4kg-2-Piece.aspx?pid=287366&menuFrom=30301#CrossandDaiwa D-Shock http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Daiwa-D-Shock-Spin-Combos-6-2-6kg-2-Piece.aspx?pid=321032&menuFrom=30301#CrossAnyone have any idea if these are any good? Probably heading down port-ish over the weekend, will pop into Ray & Anne's and see what they have too... I remember looking at the Catana at BCF too, it didn't really grab me... but I have to admit I get kind of overwhelmed by the shiny, pretty's in store! :lol: Trying to be a bit more considered in my purchase now, I'll have another look when we head back... particularly now we have some specifics to look at!Thanks guys.

BCF have a deal now for a Shimano rod, and a Sienna Spin reel combo for $69 which sounds like a great deal. Not sure if online only, but you get to choose your rod and what size Sienna Spin reel you get. I'd choose the 2500. http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/bonusbuys/sienna-fd-spin-pack-69.aspx?BonusBuyId=CM14WK29-10Also their quality is very dubious and I really dislike the amount of flex in the shafts, but Jarvis Walker do some average combos for about 40 bucks for the whole lot rod and reel. That leaves you some extra spending money to pick up extra tackle, lures, plastics, squid jags, whatever you're into. Personally I would take the Shimano sienna spin pack pretty quick at that price.Edit: Just noticed the Shimano spin pack that BCF are doing is the same one as Kuerschie was talking about. You get a Sonic Pro rod and Sienna reel which looks like a great combo.

Well, we popped down to Ray & Annes today... intending just to look, and maybe ask for a bit of advice and guidance on what to look for, and walked out with a couple of new rods that actually don't look half bad, particularly considering the price!!!We walked out with a couple of Rovex Aureus combos 7' rod, 1-4kg, Carbon Composite, sensor tip, paired with a Shakespeare Slayer 30sz reel, and a couple of spools of line to suit for under a hundred dollars! For BOTH! lol...I'm not 100% convinced on the quality, but for that price, why not give them a go! And if it all goes to shit, then we still have money in the budget to look for something else, or more tackle! :clap: Thinking about heading out next weekend and giving them a go, maybe down around the onk, I hear there's been some good fish caught down there. :fishing: Cheers for all the help guys... I'll keep some of the other suggestions in mind for the next shopping trip! :cheer: