I am looking at replacing the line in my Snapper gear, i have been using 30lb Power Pro and am noticing that it doesn't seem to be holding the knots as well. I'm not tying them any differently as far as i can tell. i was chatting to my mate and he suggested reversing the line on the spool, see if the other end feels better when pulling knots tight etc. that will be something i am going to try tomorrow, go down the tackle store and get them to use their machine.If i decide to replace the braid, what brand would u recommend and why? Also, after a session on the water, what do u do to ur braid, give it a quick rinse with fresh water? nothing? cut off the end metre before tying a leader on for the next session? i normally just give it a quick rinse then put it in the spare room, i dont keep my reels outside.All opinions welcome, im interested to hear what everyone uses and does.

I like power pro and fireline, but my favourite braid is cortland which I got from the US, the best abrasion resistance of any braid I've used. I also just got some jerry brown line to back up my heavy surf reels but I haven't had a chance to put it to the test.After a fish I usually just give my reel a rinse with the garden hose on the mist setting, tighten the drag right down so water doesn't get in there but make sure to back it off before putting it away. I like to run a full 300yd spool on my reels when I can, get at least three years of heavy use and then reverse it and get another three years or more. ;)

I have been using Tufline for most of my larger reels for general boat fishing duties. 15lb yellow or red on my 3000 and 4000 size spin reels and 30 and 50lb for bottom bashing and jigging. Never had a knot problem with either fluro or mono leaders and always use an FG knot first up and a double Uni or slim beauty if I need to retie due to a bust off. Have re spooled one or two reels with Power Pro, but just like the feel and performance ofnTuffline more

attach 30 or 40lb wind on leader to your braid. then have a swivel attached to the end of the wind on. you'll never have knot problems again. you'll only ever have to tie your rig to a swivel. most logical and easiest solution for bait bashing on the bottom. wind on gives all the abrasion resistance you will need and saves you a lot on replacing braid.

If your using it for lure casting snapper, have a look at sunline castaway in 20 and 30lb and also Daiwa TD sensor in same weight, both quality PE 8 strand braids that break at stated weight, may be overkill if baitfishing but will outlast all cheap braids like power pro,finns,suffix,fireline ect ;) cheers

I've had the same 40lb power pro on my reel for about 2+ years now, still is a pain in the ass to break when snagged.I tie an FG for the leader knot, with 60lb leader.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N0mCf0AIAAThis video is a yank showing how to tie a "sebile knot", its basically an FG knot and is the way i learnt to tie it. Use it for casting big metals for kings off the rocks and hasn't let me down!Also i'd grab a set of spring scales and test your line/knots on it, see what it breaks at.

So I use a few different braids.Suffix (not sure what type, was cheap) 6lb on a Saros 1000, I have had lots of air knots and at times it seems to twist and wrap around the end guide. About to replace due to air knots taking line every time I use it. Same category as the cheap fireline. 18 months old.Power Pro 4lb on a Saros 1000 - love it, long time. no issues yet. 12 months old.Power Pro 10lb on a stradic 2500 - Worked really well as a combo. sensitive, strong and easy to cast very light tackle. 3 years old. Power Pro 20lb on a stradic 4000 - No issues with the knots. 1 big mystery knot appeared and I did lose about 50m of line. more my fault then the line itself. 12 months old.Power Pro 30lb on a stradic 5000 - Never had an air knots or wrapping on guides. knots hold well. 2 years old.Power Pro 30lb on Calcutta 400 - Never had an issue with it. Casts well. 5 years old.Power Pro 50lb on a baitrunner 6500B - love it. No issues. 5+ years old.Tuff XP 50lb on a Okuma Vsystem 80 (sold about 12 months ago) - Great casting line. Would use it again, no mystery knots appeared. would be about 8 years old.Platypus (bulk from the tackle store) 30lb on a baitrunner 4500B - Never had an issue with it. would be 5 years old minimum. Fireline 30lb on a Diawa CY4000 - don't like the reel or the braid. Is a spare reel for friends for casting metals. hardly used but about 7 years old.if nots are slipping trying different ones, the FG/FJ knot is what lots of my friends are tying and I am starting to use. I haven't used the 8 strand braids, yet.

I don't use a lot of braid so i'm no authority on it (I use bonded nylon thread instead, ha!) But if I were to recommend something it'd be the Platypus platinum braid in natural white; mainly because it's the pure, non dyed line and is more limp and arguably stronger than coloured lines.Not many other companies sell braid natural but i think Tasline and ATC do, and Ray Annes stocks ATC last i saw on the site, but the platy stuff is made here so it's a winner! Only problem is you'll more than likely have to order it in...LINK

• 2 weeks later...

If your fishing off the rocks, try using mono. With braid, if you have a big fish on your line and it runs to the rocks, the line will snap. (the rocks would act like scissors) With mono, you have some protection against this as it is multi-layered. Also it is often cheaper. There have been huge technological advances with mono, some of the best lines come from Berkley. Also, you often have to clean and dry braid, especially with saltwater because otherwise it get's weak and disintegrates. Give it a try! The only thing is that if you try and spool your reel with mono that is too thick, it can easily get tangled all over your reel, so keep an eye on that.

With mono' date=' you have some protection against this as it is multi-layered. Also, you often have to clean and dry braid, especially with saltwater because otherwise it get's weak and disintegrates.[/quote']I have used braid in salt water for many years and have never had to clean and dry it. I will often give my reels a gentle rinse in fresh water, but that is to remove salt from the metal to prevent rust. I have had the same braid on some reels for several years and it has not gotten weak or disintegrated.Also, mono is just that, a single strand of extruded nylon, it's abrasion resistance is simply a property of the material, not due to being multi layered.