Anyone else use this knot? I got shown it on a charter awhile ago and am going to start using it instead of the albright knot, takes a bit longer to tie because u also have to do a bimini first but is a much stronger and neater knot i reckon.http://www.igfa.org/about/bristol-knot-video-tutorial.aspxAlso, when u tie a bimini twist do u do it exactly as shown in Geoff Wilson's knot book or do u have your own method? I have seen it secured with half hitches over each leg of the loop and then a half hitch over both loops if you know what iI mean. I don't believe this way is as strong as the way Geoff Wilson shows though. What do u lads think?

I'm not familiar with Wilson's method, but I tie my biminis using the tension of a rod rather than the whole knees/feet thing. I also use a half hitch over one leg to lock the knot off and then a couple more over both to finish it off. Another good alternative to the bimini is the spider hitch. With either one I then use an albright to attach a leader.

I use the bristol for all my line to leader connections, except instead of a bimini in the main line I just double the line over then trim both ends once the knot is done.It's a little touchy with how many turns you use too, tying a 40lb leader onto 15lb mainline i think i only need about 5-6 turns, otherwise the knot won't fully seat itself. put on a drop of superglue and you have a very strong knot!

New to all this line joining knot tying. How much better are these knots than a double uni knot? Is it really going to matter what knot I use as long as I tie it well?

The knot being tied well is certainly important' date=' what type of knot you use is up to you and personal for some...I've tried the double blood, uni to uni, slim beauty, improved albright and bristol and settled on the bristol as my favourite; It's very strong, easy to tie (even with cold hands at night,) and has a nice low profile that slips through the guides almost effortlessly!Pic for reference:[img']http://i.imgur.com/MyHC2z7.jpg[/img]Dab some superglue on the finished knot and make sure the leader is long enough to wrap around the spool 4-6 times and you're golden!

New to all this line joining knot tying. How much better are these knots than a double uni knot? Is it really going to matter what knot I use as long as I tie it well?

The knot being tied well is certainly important' date=' what type of knot you use is up to you and personal for some...I've tried the double blood, uni to uni, slim beauty, improved albright and bristol and settled on the bristol as my favourite; It's very strong, easy to tie (even with cold hands at night,) and has a nice low profile that slips through the guides almost effortlessly!Pic for reference:[img']http://i.imgur.com/MyHC2z7.jpg[/img]Dab some superglue on the finished knot and make sure the leader is long enough to wrap around the spool 4-6 times and you're golden!
that pic shows a slight variation on the video i think but looks slightly more secure so i reckon i will have a crack at the one in your pic

Wishing, the knot in the pic works well with thicker lines i've found.Anything thinner than about 15lb mono and i finish the knot off by putting the tag end through the loop instead. Also, make sure you pull all 4 lines to tighten, then just the main lines to seat it; you'll need to pull it almost hard enough to snap the knot if you wanna trim real close!