Well, Summer is here and so are the Big Fish we all dream about. Manly I am talking Tuna, Kings, Samsons, Rays and Sharks. I thought I would create a thread to see what everybody uses for these beasts with fins, but mainly the Tuna, Kings and Sambos. Rod, Reel, Line etc would be great, even down to rigs. After getting my first few tuna ever the other day I am pretty pumped and into the heavy stuff.So yeah, tell us about your serious stuff and start thinking about those arm burning summer thugs we love to chase! :headbang: I am also looking for a Heavier combo for Kings, Tuna etc On a Budget. Looking at Okuma Salina 16000, and an after market terez I was shown a couple months back.

Was thinking of making a thread like this, purely on tuna myself. I use a TLD20A two speed, with a Shimano Taipan 15-24kg. I run 80lb Berkley PE Maxx on it (put on originally for coffins kings. Over kill I know, but can't afford to change it for now. I'd rather get lures...) I also run a Shimano Baitrunner B 6500 on a 10 kg glass rod. Dad will run the 16000 Salina with 50lb braid and a 30kg Salina jig rod, which he easily knocked over his first tuna with, a nice 25kg fish last week. We then have a crap 'Penn GT special' with an even crapper JW fully rollered rod. The last outfit is a Abu 7000 Sweedish made on a Penn Sports rod as shotgun and 500m of braid- our biggest fish catcher so far, with up to 18kg fish. This thing has been amazing for us!The 25kg fishPosted ImagePosted ImageThe 18kg fishPosted Image

For Samsons and Kings I use a Saltiga deep 55S spin rod with a Stella 8000FA running 80lb Tufline and Saltiga Hiramasa 63S spin rod with a Stella 5000SW rod running 50lb Tufline. Originally had the 8000FA on the Hiramasa running 50lb Tufline and it handled Samsons to 30kg west of Greenley Island no problems. I use the 55S with the 8000FA and custom Challenger 15kg overhead rod with a Shimano TLD 20 running 30lb braid trolling for tuna. The Hiramasa and 5000SW is also a wicked bottom bouncing rig that is my first choice for any deep sea work. Picked up some of these rods and reels second hand for way less than retail. I use leaders of around 80 -100lb for jigging, usually Pen 10X or Jinkai via an FG knot. All split rings and hooks are upgrades from what the jigs and lures are sold with. Its worth saving a few more bucks and sticking with the tried and proven brands for heavy work and you won't be disappointed.