Braid if you can afford it is better, although wind knots can be a pain. I have mono on most of my reels, for $12 a spool of Platinum it's a lot more affordable than Braid. Braid is best for deep water, light lures or fish that might spool you. Almost every fishing situation has one of those so I could afford it I would run braid on almost everything.

We all know braid is stronger' date=' more sensitive and more expensive, but we also know that mono is more resistant to rocks, more popular and requires lower maintenance. I, personally am a mono fan. :laugh:[/quote']I wouldn't agree that mono requires less maintenance, I fill a spool with braid and it stays on for a few years then reverse it and get a few more years out of it, with mono you need to change it often because of damage from sun and salt water. The only maintenance with braid is to keep it from become loosely packed on the spool and occasionally cut a few metres off the end when it gets tatty.I use a mix on braid and mono/fluoro on most of my reels. Many reels have braid topped with a mono or fluoro leader, but on my surf reels I fill the bottom third with braid and top them off with mono. So I like both. ;)

just curious what knot do you use to join mono to braid.cheers Andrew

I was using a yucatan knot but had one slip on me that I thought was pulled up real tight. Know tying improved Bristol knots to my bimini's. Seems the goods and is easier to tie than an FG or Albright, especially in the boat or in the wind.