Best land based places near Adelaide to get a feed of fish

I have only been to the Onk a couple of time myself, and with little luck, but from what I have seen of other peoples experience it is a great place to get a feed if you get to know the area and go off the beaten track.Have had a fair amount of luck at garden island, at the right time the salmon trout come through and the Jetty can be good for decent bream when they are on the bite, nothing huge but around the 30cm mark.Still looking for a consistently good spot myself, but have recently purchased a Kayak to get further out and onto the fish. See other people having a lot of luck landbased, but it seems to be a case of right place right time for the most part.Any of the metro Jetties are good on the right day, but the fish have a lot of choice with a fair amount of people trying to do the same thing.If you find anything consistent let me know. :laugh:

If you are after a feed my advice would be to concentrate on your most local area. Learn how to fish it and reap the rewards. There are locals on every beach, jetty, rock wall, marina, lake, dam ....... from the Onka to north of St Kilda that will confidently fish an area for a feed. Just a bit of time and knowledge and you'll laughing mate, plenty of metro LB fish to had. Good luck.

Landbased is hard work. Plenty of fish from the jetties but be prepared to fish after dark. At the moment there are squid and tommies, but at times I gave caught good catches of gar, snook, ST, bream, yellowfin whiting, mullet and crabs.Torrens outlet will fish well for mullet and bream in a few months once we get some late autumn rain. Mullet run starting on the beaches and jetties but fish from just before sunup till just before the high tide.Westlakes and the Onk have plenty of bream.Westbeach and OSullivans beach breakwall can produce a mixed bag of fish.Southport holds salmon in winter. Plenty more spots within an hour or two of Adelaide

I have only been to the Onk a couple of time myself' date=' and with little luck, but from what I have seen of other peoples experience it is a great place to get a feed if you get to know the area and go off the beaten track.Have had a fair amount of luck at garden island, at the right time the salmon trout come through and the Jetty can be good for decent bream when they are on the bite, nothing huge but around the 30cm mark.Still looking for a consistently good spot myself, but have recently purchased a Kayak to get further out and onto the fish. See other people having a lot of luck landbased, but it seems to be a case of right place right time for the most part.Any of the metro Jetties are good on the right day, but the fish have a lot of choice with a fair amount of people trying to do the same thing.If you find anything consistent let me know. :laugh:[/quote']I have looked at the Onk and tried it a couple of times but it has not really attracted me much. Perhaps that is because I have no real idea what I am doing and have fished the wrong spots. Perhaps some more exploring is needed.Garden Island is certainly not somewhere I would have thought about, I will certainly consider it.
If you are after a feed my advice would be to concentrate on your most local area. Learn how to fish it and reap the rewards. There are locals on every beach' date=' jetty, rock wall, marina, lake, dam ....... from the Onka to north of St Kilda that will confidently fish an area for a feed. Just a bit of time and knowledge and you'll laughing mate, plenty of metro LB fish to had. Good luck.[/quote']I might try that will the O'Sullivan beach breakwater, went there this morning and caught small stuff. Certainly considering giving it another go.
Landbased is hard work. Plenty of fish from the jetties but be prepared to fish after dark. At the moment there are squid and tommies' date=' but at times I gave caught good catches of gar, snook, ST, bream, yellowfin whiting, mullet and crabs.Torrens outlet will fish well for mullet and bream in a few months once we get some late autumn rain. Mullet run starting on the beaches and jetties but fish from just before sunup till just before the high tide.Westlakes and the Onk have plenty of bream.Westbeach and OSullivans beach breakwall can produce a mixed bag of fish.Southport holds salmon in winter. Plenty more spots within an hour or two of Adelaide[/quote']Never really fished after dark but would be open to doing it. I might give Brighton a go, my closest jetty. Some very good info thank you.
Many recent reports have been gar from O/H breakwall. Can't imagine a fish to get a better or more consistent feed of than gar' date=' replaced with ST's in the winter.[/quote']Yes it does seem to be a good place to fish' date=' but I think you have to go a reasonable distance out along the rocks which is not attractive to me.[/quote']Not really. You can catch gar on that blue arrow. Very short distance.If you come during high tide and stay for 2 or 3 hours... the walking distance to the shore become more shorter because the tides running out. You can walk on the beach instead off the rocks.gar.png"To catch a good feed of fish, you need to put much effort on it"

I guess that is not too far, perhaps I will have a drive down there and have a look sometime and see what it is like although I might look at closer options like O'Sullivan's beach breakwater and Brighton Jetty first. Maybe other jetties as well. Wonder what I can catch at midnight from a jetty after working afternoon shift, guess I will have to try and see.

Tommies, Gar and squid at the moment.I have also caught KGW and flathead off a few of the local jetties in Autumn. Sand crabs in Autumn and Spring (depending on the season) Still a chance of a shark for another few months. Snook in a month or two if they turn up.If the weather is good there will still be a handful of people fishing overnight on all of the metro jetties.

I think I would going after tommies and gar.I have no squid equipment and would not have a clue what to do with a squid of I caught one, LOL.I also only have access to a couple of light rods so shark fishing is certainly out.I have a very limited knowledge of how to fish for a few species, really need to learn a lot. Thank you again, really appreciate the advice, it all helps.

Nothing wrong with catching carp, good fun on light line [2lb ] or so , No 8 suicide and two sweet corn kernels sit back and wait for the fun to begin, damn good fighting fish on light gear , and not to bad smoked either :fishing: Went to a fishing tackle shop on Pt Road Thebarton on Sunday, they had fish smokers there for $45 , bargain good size with 2 racks and a burner. ps .cant remember the name of the store but it is probally in the phone book. :clap:

i've been taking the young lads to Victor Harbour recently with success - either the screw pile jetty on granite island or the bluff wharf. Caught a variety from tommies, sweep, salmon, ludrig & squid. A beautiful part of the state too - good luck

Once again did a trip down to Rapid bay but nothing worth while about, lots of undersize trout ,did not see any body else doing any good either The tide was late about 9 pm and we were not able to stay past 6 pm . On Saturday morning about 6.30 am caught a few decent Mullet at Pt Noarlunga jetty. size was about 25cm , but went down in after noon but only got small sprats nothing of any keepable size.

I suppose we land based fisho,s do have trouble from time to time when it comes to catching a feed or even getting a nibble sometimes and unlike our boatie friends its not always possible to move to another spot, so I guess we just have to live with our lot, but that does not mean that we cant improve on what we have got. for instance , having not had much luck over the past few months, I thought that there must be a way to improve my lot, so I started to look into the kitchen pantry pinched a can of Sardines in oil, next a half a loaf of bread which I stuck in the food processor and turned into crumbs then dried them in the oven, next step, mixed in the sardines until it was a nice oily mixture which when squeezed in the palm of your hand formed a ball. Now having done all this all that there is to do is try it out. So fished for about 1/2 hr down at Pt Noarlunga jetty without it and got no nibbles at all, then tried throwing small handfuls of this mixture around and within a few minutes there they were chasing the stuff and I was getting bites as well, so what I am trying to say is if your not having any luck don't be afraid to try something new , if you have an idea give it a go who knows it just might work for you. cheers Khombi :fishing::clap:

I have been using burley, some I bought and it does seemed to have worked to a certain extent. It seemed to bring in a school of small tommies plus other fish at O'Sullivan Beach on Monday. I could see them chasing the burley when I threw some out and when I stopped they disappeared although the tide also changed as well which might have played a part as well. Last night I did get a couple of hook ups after I used burley but I was fishing around low tide so that probably did not help.So yes I will keep using burley.

one other point to make here is hook size and how important it is,{ and I know there is people out there that have far more knowledge about this than I do} BUT there is a saying I believe that says you can catch a big fish on a small hook but its hard to catch a small fish on a big hook, the point of this is that if you fish with a hook to big and you are fishing for say mullet tommies or trout you are only making it harder for your self to catch one. N0 8 or 10 short shank silver hook is about the size I use and even up the Murray for carp this hook works well , A small amount of burly at regular intervals and the appropriate size hook and you should do ok, If you are breaming try some crushed up cockle, green prawn and bread crumbs spread around about 1hr before fishing. My favourite bait is mince meat semolina and curry powder , so simple so cheap yet so affective . 2hd/fulls mince meat one hd/full semolina and1/2 t/spoon curry powder , this bait will usually catch almost anything, so many times I have seen people with bags of store bought bait trying to get a feed and not having any luck, yet the person with mince meat concoctions doing well .If you want to save money make your own bait and burley ,home made bread crumbs and a tin of cheap sardines in oil mixed together is as good a burly as you can get. As I said before it pays to experiment. cheers........Khombi :fishing:

I have been using small hooks, number 10 hooks below a float when going for gar/tommies. I also used number 10 last time I went to Fountain Valley after carp and seemed to have a better result than when I have used larger hooks. I have used a variety of sizes for bream but mostly number 1 hooks.I have been using number 6 hooks on the bottom off the jetties. I think these are reasonable sized hooks but I would welcome any advice.

If you are after a feed my advice would be to concentrate on your most local area. Learn how to fish it and reap the rewards. There are locals on every beach' date=' jetty, rock wall, marina, lake, dam ....... from the Onka to north of St Kilda that will confidently fish an area for a feed. Just a bit of time and knowledge and you'll laughing mate, plenty of metro LB fish to had. Good luck.[/quote']I think this is the best advice you can possibly be given!I have a few spots in the Port that I can personally get a bag of fish from while other anglers 15-20m along won't catch a thing........Because I fish those spots a lot and I know what I need to do to catch fish there.Other places that I have seen great reports from (OH breakwall, NH breakwall, Largs jetty etc), I can't catch a cold at, just because I'm not familiar with whats required to catch a decent bag of fish there. Having said that, If I was to put the time into those those spots that I've put into some of my Port River spots, I'm sure I'd be making great reports from those spots myself!Concentrate your efforts on 1 or two spots, using different techniques and trying different times (where possible), and you'll soon work out what works for those spots!