I have just been relocated to the Adelaide area (staying in Semaphore right now) for work for a couple years from the States. I foolishly did not bring any of my gear with me, so now I'm in the market for some gear. I was hoping to get a decent all around set up to get me started that will be good for most species in the area. I saw a Shimano sienna combo on sale and I have read it's a decent setup. I'm not sure if I should go with the 4000 reel and heavier slightly longer rod or the 2500 reel and the lighter (medium weight) rod. Looking for help/suggestions. Also, I've really only fished fresh water, is there a website or some place I can check out for salt water fishing techniques etc? Thanks in advance!

What fish would you be trying to target?I am guessing you will not have a boat so it will be land based, is that correct?Using the search feature on this site or using google on a topic and reading results from here is quite useful, there is a lot of good information on here, a lot of people who know what they are doing, I am not really one of them though. Also ask questions here, you will usually get someone to answer.What fish do you catch at home in the states?

As for a website' date=' are you serious? you just posted on this forum!!Search my friend!! :cheer: :cheer:[/quote'] Haha thanks. The rod I'm thinking of pairing the 2500 with is a Sonic Pro 692 Med Snap 4-6kg. I don't remember exactly what the larger rod was, I think it was a 6-8kg Snapper maybe, and it was slightly longer as well.
What fish would you be trying to target?I am guessing you will not have a boat so it will be land based' date=' is that correct?Using the search feature on this site or using google on a topic and reading results from here is quite useful, there is a lot of good information on here, a lot of people who know what they are doing, I am not really one of them though. Also ask questions here, you will usually get someone to answer.What fish do you catch at home in the states?[/quote']I'm not exactly sure what fish I will be targeting; whatever is biting I guess haha. You are correct, land based fishing mostly; jetties, beach, rivers etc. This is all new to me, fishing saltwater and especially local species here. Back in the states I stuck to freshwater mostly. I would fish for catfish, perch, walleye, small mouth bass, large mouth bass, bluegill, brook trout, king salmon, pike etc.

I do not know a great deal, just started fishing again after giving it a large break since when I fished as a kid and teenager. From what I know though you can go for bream in areas like west lakes, port river, garden island which are not too far from you, although eating fish from west lakes is probably not a great idea. You could also get mulloway in west lakes.You could get garfish and tommies and perhaps whiting from semaphore jetty. Also crabs from semaphore jetty. Probably squid as well although they are not my thing, never fished for them.Outer Harbor breakwater is a good place to fish, recently people on here have been getting some garfish from there. There is a map in the land based fishing thread which shows where you can fish for gar off there.There is also a thread about getting yellow fin whiting from Tennyson beach which some do quite successfully but I think it is mostly a summer thing.Others will be able to expand more on this and searching the forum will as well but it gives some idea.

Welcome to SA, I moved here from the US a little over five years ago.You want the 2500 size reel with a 7 foot rod in the 2-4 or 3-5kg bracket. With that setup you can catch heaps of different species in your area, jetty, beach, West Lakes and Port River. Load it up with 6-8lb braid (or mono if you prefer).Stop into Ray and Annes on Grand Junction Rd, which is not far from Semaphore, and they'll set you up.

• 2 months later...

I have just been relocated to the Adelaide area (staying in Semaphore right now) for work for a couple years from the States. I foolishly did not bring any of my gear with me, so now I'm in the market for some gear. I was hoping to get a decent all around set up to get me started that will be good for most species in the area. I saw a Shimano sienna combo on sale and I have read it's a decent setup. I'm not sure if I should go with the 4000 reel and heavier slightly longer rod or the 2500 reel and the lighter (medium weight) rod. Looking for help/suggestions. Also, I've really only fished fresh water, is there a website or some place I can check out for salt water fishing techniques etc? Thanks in advance!

My personal favourite all rounder gear is a shimano symetre 4000 (might be 3000 though I'm not sure) spooled with 20lb braid attached to a shimano raider mexican fire II snapper 702. 

Use it for my whiting fishing, squid fishing, snapper fishing, salmon fishing and even works well putting a float on the end going for tommies.

Biggest I've caught so far on it was an 11.5kg eagle ray