Shark / Ray Fishing Adelaide

Guest tstav

Guest tstav

Hey guys,I'm new on the forums. Teen from Adelaide, very keen fisho especially into the larger species. Got a full roller 24kg Backbone elite rod equipped with a Fin Nor Sanitago 50w. Just a few tips maybe spots/rigs/baits to land a shark or ray. Nothing to personal just the basics really. Only caught one eagle ray so far. Cheers. Posted Image

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Always keen to see Shark/game threads on here guys, I’m sure it interests alot of readers, just you boys like to keep it all pretty quiet. Understandable considering the regs and rules in play these

Young guys especially teens mate who are interested in heavy tackle fishing often start by targeting eagle rays and sharks.They don't have a car licence and there fishing options are very minimal.Shar

Pretty sure, most people release the rays and some sharks are actually good eating if that way inclined.Both species release pretty well so very suited to C&R fishing.A eagle ray run is only match

Posted Images

For rays off the beach I've found Tennyson is pretty good just before/at sunrise, they seem to hunt the smaller fish in the shallows and often will come up nice and close to see whether your feet are worth a feed. Just a basic running rig with a second hook not tied (not sure what it's called), 5/0 with a pilchard. 30lb with 40lb fluoro leader on a 6000 sized reel. I don't have a heap of experience with this though, just what I've found works by accident.

Young guys especially teens mate who are interested in heavy tackle fishing often start by targeting eagle rays and sharks.They don't have a car licence and there fishing options are very minimal.Shark is good eatingcand eagle rays are a superb fighting species.As they get older and get a licence lots of these young guys become quiet capable fishermen in there own right.Kingfish and mulloway taste ordinary to me but I still like to catch them.Kids start somewhere and the local sharks and rays are a good start if looking to get a rod bent.If ya not being critical don't ask a silly question

Pretty sure, most people release the rays and some sharks are actually good eating if that way inclined.Both species release pretty well so very suited to C&R fishing.A eagle ray run is only matched by the likes of kingfish for speed and nothing comes close to a big smoothy or big shark ( I assume) for a decent, long lasting back bend.I also believe in some tournaments, these species are classified and thus worthy of catching on light line.I have a mate who won a light line class in a contest with a huge eagly

Mr Hitler, I do not believe that any question asked on this site regards any fishing is silly. I am showing a genuine concern for health and well being of fish whether it be shark , rays or a bloody big whale, I enjoy my fishing as much as the next person and i always will. my concern comes about due to the fact that I have seen many rays and shark caught , killed, and dumped back in the water for no reason at all except in the name of a good fishing session .I hope you do not fit into this group. Do not criticize other people for asking questions or have a genuine concern for the sport that we all like to participate in...................Regards Khombi :headbang:

All good Khombi, always hard to gauge peoples manners on these forums, and I can assure you that most have the best intentions. M Hitler,( recent user name change it seems) is an active and long term member of both the AGFC and this forum, I havne no doubt you both share the same views in regards to C&R. and the well being of all our sea creatures :)Just a case of online miss-conception me thinks

don't forget no wire until after 9pm. with such a heavy combo your better off finding mates who you can fish with and heading down yorkes and trying for bigger sharks. even decent size rays can be pulled in using light gear. this is caught with my lake mully gear. but any beach will have rays i try to avoid jettys too many crabbers/walkers etc tennyson, henley, grange, glenelg all worth a shot.477345_520323868005140_1702929544_o_2014-03-21.jpg

I just think for those that are so concerned about fish being released ect should be just as concerned about putting hooks in them in the first place.There's always gonna be those that do the wrong thing in any recreation.Reckon longliners and swingnetters ect are more of a worry than jetty rats.I'm not in this category at all but have been irresponsible in my teenage yrs fishing jett.Teens are more responsible these days compared to 20yrs ago but things have changed since them days.

Ale ' date=' thank you and I take your point BUT no question or point of view is stupid or silly for if we did not question things or did not have a point of view on some subjects nothing would ever be achieved. Regards ...Khombi.... :fishing:[/quote']Khombi he was asking for locations, rigs and baits not what you think he should do with it after capture. The kid looks wog so I reckon if he was to bring home a small shark or even Ray his grandparents or family would probably enjoy eating it. My grandfather told me to save 1 for him coz he used to buy it to eat.Nothing wrong with catch and release it if it's in good health if that's what he choses to do but that's up to him.
Guest tstav
Ale ' date=' thank you and I take your point BUT no question or point of view is stupid or silly for if we did not question things or did not have a point of view on some subjects nothing would ever be achieved. Regards ...Khombi.... :fishing:[/quote']Khombi he was asking for locations' date=' rigs and baits not what you think he should do with it after capture. The kid looks wog so I reckon if he was to bring home a small shark or even Ray his grandparents or family would probably enjoy eating it. My grandfather told me to save 1 for him coz he used to buy it to eat.Nothing wrong with catch and release it if it's in good health if that's what he choses to do but that's up to him.[/quote']Indeed i am wog, however the only thing ill bring home and eat is a gummy shark. Anything else will be for the adrenaline rush! quick snap and release.

I'm a dirty wog as well mate, I like to release all my rays and if I catch a shark it goes back.Sounds like your fairly set with the 50w outfit will cover any sharks we get around here. It's getting late in the year for metro sharks but not to say you won't hook up. Yorks will still fish well for awhile yet and you can still get bronzies down the foot in winter.Fish screw pile on granite island in winter for seven gills. Hopefully there bit thicker then last year fairly ordinary season. Don't need to cast to far from the jetty, fish the bottom with slab baits, whole tommies, salmon trout or half snook.I never target rays anymore, I had a massive one take my whole snook (probably 65cm) under balloons at grange on a week night. I hooked up at 10:15pm and didn't manage to get him to the jetty till 1am. Got it on a 50w and would of ran about 350 -400m. I'm thinking he was 200kg plus we got a look at him b4 he dived down and sat on the bottom. Makes me sick even thinking about smoothies hahaGood luck man might see ya fishin one night

Guest tstav
I'm a dirty wog as well mate' date=' I like to release all my rays and if I catch a shark it goes back.Sounds like your fairly set with the 50w outfit will cover any sharks we get around here. It's getting late in the year for metro sharks but not to say you won't hook up. Yorks will still fish well for awhile yet and you can still get bronzies down the foot in winter.Fish screw pile on granite island in winter for seven gills. Hopefully there bit thicker then last year fairly ordinary season. Don't need to cast to far from the jetty, fish the bottom with slab baits, whole tommies, salmon trout or half snook.I never target rays anymore, I had a massive one take my whole snook (probably 65cm) under balloons at grange on a week night. I hooked up at 10:15pm and didn't manage to get him to the jetty till 1am. Got it on a 50w and would of ran about 350 -400m. I'm thinking he was 200kg plus we got a look at him b4 he dived down and sat on the bottom. Makes me sick even thinking about smoothies hahaGood luck man might see ya fishin one night[/quote']Yeah fairly Keen :) Would love to have seen the fight sounded nice! what outfit do you have?
Guest tstav

Got a TLD 50w on a status 15 - 24kg land based gameTiagra 30w on a status 15 - 24kg strokerRun mono on both 50lb on the 50w and 40lb on the 30wFor smaller sharks got a torsa 30 on a Wilson texialium65 lb braid on the torsa

Nice Setup man! heading out to garden island tomorrow try my luck ;P

Funny how we change as the years go by.Like most kids I really enjoyed catching stingrays.Now in my 30's I loathe the bastards! :laugh: Was only a couple of months back live baiting for kings i managed to hook two smoothies both of which were at the upper end of their size range. In disgust i gave the live baiting away in preference for jigs.Dropped a 200gm knife jig down and somehow managed to immediately hook a third giant smoothie this time foul hooked in the flap!Not wanting to go through the torture of pulling in another one of the bastards I busted it off and gave up fishing for the evening.

Morning to you all ,I think we have pretty well established that the majority of people appear to be doing catch and release which is all I was bloody well asking, and if it wasn't for these wogs as you call them we would probably still be using squid for bait instead of eating them. You all have a great day now. cheers...........Khombi :clap::clap::clap::fishing:

Hi guys,I'm in the same boat as the OP; first time poster, just signed up. Also keen to get stuck into chasing rays and sharks on a more consistent basis. I have targeted them before, however have never managed to catch them consistently in the one location. I used to fish Seacliff in front of the yacht club and did catch a half a dozen rays there over a few session a few years ago; have tried a few times this summer and not as much as seen one. I usually fish Brighton jetty but that doesn't deliver anything consistently besides dog sharks. I also recently got in contact with a high school friend who has never caught sharks/rays but has the gear for it and is really keen. Both of us have heard stuff about rays in the Port River but have never actually fished there. Any and all advice about fishing the Port to catch some rays would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :laugh:PS: for the record it's always catch and release with me with anything big I catch; never actually caught a proper shark (doggies don't count) but have released all bar 1 of my rays over the years.

Been a long while since I've seen a post come up regarding sharks and rays.just fish hard boys...took me years to catch my first good shark. Countless trips countless hours. The amount of donuts me a Pauly had during our wintertime 7 gill hunts. But itl all pays off someday in the end. Worst thing about this type of fishing is amount of money it' costs to start.The gear is by no means cheap and wouldn't cut corners in my tackle..hate to see big fish get away with out giving it a pat and getting a happy snap But no way I could ever go back to chasing small fish unless it's the bait I need lol. Polonius.Nothing wrong at all with the areas ur fishing, all will produce sharks at some stage. As Paul said it is a little late in the year but you never no if you don't try, may even run into snapper. Best little advice is constant slick which is alot harder to do these days with the stupid laws Ports rays, filleted baits half baits whole baits will all work, you may have to sit thru the dog shark plagues at times but more than likely u should find a ray. Garden island warf is where I use to have alot of sucess when I fished for them..Best of luck and yeah good to see a thread like this come up again