Shark / Ray Fishing Adelaide

Guest tstav

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Always keen to see Shark/game threads on here guys, I’m sure it interests alot of readers, just you boys like to keep it all pretty quiet. Understandable considering the regs and rules in play these

Young guys especially teens mate who are interested in heavy tackle fishing often start by targeting eagle rays and sharks.They don't have a car licence and there fishing options are very minimal.Shar

Pretty sure, most people release the rays and some sharks are actually good eating if that way inclined.Both species release pretty well so very suited to C&R fishing.A eagle ray run is only match

Posted Images

Always keen to see Shark/game threads on here guys, I’m sure it interests alot of readers, just you boys like to keep it all pretty quiet. Understandable considering the regs and rules in play these days.Hopefully can add to this thread after the weekend, Pauly took lots of effort to help guide this Googan in the right direction, let’s see if I can get me some teeth.Big boat= checkSharky waters= checkRight tackle = check ( as long as I don’t hook 12-15ftrs)Skill levels of angler = ........ time will tellFind it interesting the term "wog" seems to be so accepted by most these days.Growing up in a mainly anglo area as a kid, being called a wog was quite offensive, back when squid was only used as bait, and olives and salami was left of everything including pizzas.I remember being picked on and teased due to my lunchbox contents, these days the stuff mum used to pack is served up as antipasto’s and entrées at restaurants

I reckon if you went up to old Italian and called him a dirty wog he would probally put out a contract on you .Going back through some early records on our beaches, it appears that all our coastlines were thick with Rays but of course that was also when we also had seaweed on the seabed right up to the waters edge, and of course going back then crayfish was only used for fishing bait , you would not be seen dead eating the stuff ,now its $100 a kilo

I reckon if you went up to old Italian and called him a dirty wog he would probally put out a contract on you .Going back through some early records on our beaches' date=' it appears that all our coastlines were thick with Rays but of course that was also when we also had seaweed on the seabed right up to the waters edge, and of course going back then crayfish was only used for fishing bait , you would not be seen dead eating the stuff ,now its $100 a kilo[/quote']I've grown up in a italian family and had a lot of Greek, italian mates over the years and I don't think any1 has taken offence to the word for quite some time. Different story to when my old man was in school.Khombi my tip is if walked up to a old italian guy and told him what to do with his fish he'd give ya a good head-but.Don't know where people getting the idea there's not many rays around...

Another filthy wog lolThe cold nights down victor in winter will sort out the fisherman from weekend warriorsI hope old mate doesn't ask you what gear you run will have to start a new page

Haha yeah it's a bit like that man. Added a few more to the collection and one more to come when it comes out on the market.. Haha the filthy wogs. I've never had the word said to me in an abusive manner and even if it was I'd probably laugh

Ended up going down to Seacliff on Sunday and got a reasonable sized shovelnose shark and my mate got a smallish fiddler ray.  Went down to Marino rocks on Monday and got a nice 4 to 4.5ft eagle ray which pulled like a freight train and did 3 nice runs; this was on the first cast for the day within 15 minutes of the bait hitting the water. The tide came in quicker than we expected so we went down to Kingston park off the beach but didn't get anything more after that.  My mate went home and I went down to Brighton jetty to restock on those bait sized tommies that are down there in plague proportions now.  Ended up getting 10 and saw something about a meter long and maybe 15cm wide chasing them in the shallows.  About an hour later saw something about 6ft long with a large tail cruising through the shallows; not sure if this was a dolphin, large mulloway or a shark.  I'm pretty sure the smaller thing was a mulloway; it had the right aspect ratio for that sort of fish.

Next question; how would you guys live bait a tommy for chasing mulloway off a jetty?  I was thinking 80lb trace maybe a meter or so long with a 5/0 live bait hook and either have it under a conventional float or a balloon.  I tried live baiting one off the bottom with a big sinker but it just got shredded by crabs.....kind of felt sorry for the little guy as he didn't stand a chance :P

Also, sorry for the double post but I can't seem to double edit my post above. 

My mate and I want to go and fish some big baits off the screwpile jetty next Sunday into Monday morning.  Based on this website, it would appear we can fish for sharks before 9pm as it is outside the restriction limit:

http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/fisheries/recreational_fishing/fishing_limits/recreational_shark_fishing_restrictions/frequently_asked_questions

Is this correct?  Is it essentially fair game to fish for sharks using wire and 12/0s before 9pm outside of the area designated in the link?  I am pretty sure it is, however I want to be 150% sure as I really don't want to do anything against regulation as I don't like the idea of getting fined....

You can shark off victor all day and night mate it's only the stretch of coast from outer Harbor break wall to lady bay that has time restrictions.

It's a pretty rare occasion to get mulloway off our metro jettys mate not impossible but, I think if your keen to target them you should spend some time in west lakes or the port. If you use a light running sinker your live bait can swim up off the bottom getting away from the crabs.

You can shark off victor all day and night mate it's only the stretch of coast from outer Harbor break wall to lady bay that has time restrictions.

It's a pretty rare occasion to get mulloway off our metro jettys mate not impossible but, I think if your keen to target them you should spend some time in west lakes or the port. If you use a light running sinker your live bait can swim up off the bottom getting away from the crabs.

Thanks for the heads up.  I mean I wouldn't mind making a day of it down Victor but my mate only finishes work at 4pm anyway so we are making it an overnighter.  Based on the photos I have seen and people I have talked to down Brighton lately, getting smallish mulloway from there in the shallows is not as rare as you might think, especially with the crazy amount of tommies that have been in the water there for the past month or so.

Sorry for the late reply. No luck at garden island, except the loss of 500m of 50lb power pro. Some clown launched off the boat ramp, didn't go around the pillion and went straight through my line. Locked it up full drag ( this wasn't on my 50w either) and choked his motor. He then full throttled it and spooled me 500m. Fairly pissed off, but karma ;) ;)

Would love to have got him on my 50w, would of pulled him straight back in on his shitty little tinny.

I hooked a sail boat first time I balloned my 50w lol..

Lucky he seen me locked up and stopped going forwards

I've hooked up on spin aswell fishing off west beach break wall..

I had my balloons sitting out really well in some nice blue water off the screw pile break wall and i helped land a 7 ft shark a week b4, so I was fairly confident I was gna hook up b4 i got cut off

Out of curiosity, what else can you expect to catch off the scewpile jetty?  I have heard of tommies, salmon trout and mackerel being caught off there lately, and can only assume that anything that eats those fish would be there too. I was thinking of putting out a live bait under a meter or so of 80lb line under a float.....would this be worth a shot?  What usually hangs around these parts besides rays and sharks?

Out of curiosity, what else can you expect to catch off the scewpile jetty?  I have heard of tommies, salmon trout and mackerel being caught off there lately, and can only assume that anything that eats those fish would be there too. I was thinking of putting out a live bait under a meter or so of 80lb line under a float.....would this be worth a shot?  What usually hangs around these parts besides rays and sharks?

This pic has been posted a few times now, but this fella took a squid head on the end of some coated wire on a bottom rig close on 15 years ago.

balmy feb arvo, just on dusk, cast to the west of the jetty amongst where the pro boats used to more up:

IMG_20131221_135950_zpsc08f98ca.jpg

Mr Hitler, I do not believe that any question asked on this site regards any fishing is silly. I am showing a genuine concern for health and well being of fish whether it be shark , rays or a bloody big whale, I enjoy my fishing as much as the next person and i always will. my concern comes about due to the fact that I have seen many rays and shark caught , killed, and dumped back in the water for no reason at all except in the name of a good fishing session .I hope you do not fit into this group. Do not criticize other people for asking questions or have a genuine concern for the sport that we all like to participate in...................Regards Khombi :headbang:

Totally agree, dont need to be seeing dead rays washed up on the beach

Well the trip to the screwpile jetty never eventuated due to the wind being wrong for ballooning off that jetty.  We went to Grange jetty instead and my mate got a short run on his bait but didn't hook up.  Also caught a mixture of tommies and baby salmon trout (didn't realize that they weren't tommies in the dark till we looked at them in the light in the morning) and 3 gar fish.  Bottom bashing was just pointless; the sea lice were prolific.  

The International 50VSW didn't perform as flawlessly as I would expect given the price tag; the clicker on it seems REALLY jerky, i.e. when in freespool you pull the line and sometimes it comes off fine and other times it practically seizes up completely before coming off in a big burst and almost overrunning.....this isn't normal is it?!? 

Well the trip to the screwpile jetty never eventuated due to the wind being wrong for ballooning off that jetty.  We went to Grange jetty instead and my mate got a short run on his bait but didn't hook up.  Also caught a mixture of tommies and baby salmon trout (didn't realize that they weren't tommies in the dark till we looked at them in the light in the morning) and 3 gar fish.  Bottom bashing was just pointless; the sea lice were prolific.  

The International 50VSW didn't perform as flawlessly as I would expect given the price tag; the clicker on it seems REALLY jerky, i.e. when in freespool you pull the line and sometimes it comes off fine and other times it practically seizes up completely before coming off in a big burst and almost overrunning.....this isn't normal is it?!? 

Thought you would of understood when I quoted earlier,, "ahh the vsw"

Well the trip to the screwpile jetty never eventuated due to the wind being wrong for ballooning off that jetty. We went to Grange jetty instead and my mate got a short run on his bait but didn't hook up. Also caught a mixture of tommies and baby salmon trout (didn't realize that they weren't tommies in the dark till we looked at them in the light in the morning) and 3 gar fish. Bottom bashing was just pointless; the sea lice were prolific.

This is completely normal, both Tiagra and Inters ratchet works on a pin moving in and out of holes on a plate mounted to the inside of the spool. You'll find when it's stuck or seized as you described the pin is directly in the hole and when it's easy to pull out it's sitting between 2 and easily moves in and out at speeds. Hope this helps. Completely different system to your standard TLDs, Abu's. If you want a pic let me know

Thought you would of understood when I quoted earlier,, "ahh the vsw"

Em, I know it is a different mechanism but I have friends who own other Internationals (50's and 80's) and the reels NEVER jam up under free spool with the clicker on; obviously it will never be as smooth as a TLD (I never expected it to be) and yes, it will take more force to pull line out, however this was something else entirely. To put it in perspective, I had to pull so hard a few times to get line out that the 50lb Berkely line cut into my fingers.... I rang the guys at Dinga fishing and one of them said that in 30 years of selling these reels he has run into this issue 3 times before.  So yes, this case was apparently particularly bad, and I am getting a new one with new line free of charge, which is nice  :)

Em, I know it is a different mechanism but I have friends who own other Internationals (50's and 80's) and the reels NEVER jam up under free spool with the clicker on; obviously it will never be as smooth as a TLD (I never expected it to be) and yes, it will take more force to pull line out, however this was something else entirely. To put it in perspective, I had to pull so hard a few times to get line out that the 50lb Berkely line cut into my fingers.... I rang the guys at Dinga fishing and one of them said that in 30 years of selling these reels he has run into this issue 3 times before.  So yes, this case was apparently particularly bad, and I am getting a new one with new line free of charge, which is nice  :)

Sounds good, What made you get the vsw, may I ask?

Sounds good, What made you get the vsw, may I ask?

I wouldn't want anything bigger than a 50W regardless of the brand as for the foreseeable future it will only be used land based in this state to catch sharks; I don't have access to a boat and even if I did, a 50VSW should handle most things short of marlin or huge tuna pretty well.  From everyone I have ever talked to, by all accounts if you go bigger in reel size for land based game fishing it gets unwieldy in terms of putting the line back on and handling it without being fully harnessed in.  Two friends I used to go shark fishing with both had Penn Internationals and have caught some monster sharks with them. By all accounts picking between Internationals and Tiagras is like picking between Holden and Ford; it's personal preference really.  For the sort of money you pay and the sort of top end manufacturing and engineering that goes into those reels, regardless of which you pick you won't be disappointed. 

That and as I said earlier, the price - it was on special and a good $200-250 cheaper than a Tiagra 50WLRS when buying online, and obviously more so when buying in a brick and mortar store. The new reel came in the mail yesterday and is as smooth as butter, even with the clicker on - its a totally different beast to the first one they sent me which is getting sent back on Monday. 

I wouldn't want anything bigger than a 50W regardless of the brand as for the foreseeable future it will only be used land based in this state to catch sharks; I don't have access to a boat and even if I did, a 50VSW should handle most things short of marlin or huge tuna pretty well.  From everyone I have ever talked to, by all accounts if you go bigger in reel size for land based game fishing it gets unwieldy in terms of putting the line back on and handling it without being fully harnessed in.  Two friends I used to go shark fishing with both had Penn Internationals and have caught some monster sharks with them. By all accounts picking between Internationals and Tiagras is like picking between Holden and Ford; it's personal preference really.  For the sort of money you pay and the sort of top end manufacturing and engineering that goes into those reels, regardless of which you pick you won't be disappointed. 

That and as I said earlier, the price - it was on special and a good $200-250 cheaper than a Tiagra 50WLRS when buying online, and obviously more so when buying in a brick and mortar store. The new reel came in the mail yesterday and is as smooth as butter, even with the clicker on - its a totally different beast to the first one they sent me which is getting sent back on Monday. 

Good luck with the sharks! :)