Snapper rod

HiJust sent this pm to finatic but thought that I would also open it up for other suggestions.I caught my first snapper last year (92cm off of wallaroo jetty) using a friends rod and now I'm after one myself. I'm after a snapper rod that I will be using landbased (mainly off of wallaroo jetty). I have an egg beater reel to go with it (Okuma baitrunner) and would be looking for something with a tip that is sensitive to bites but has enough guts to put pressure on the fish when they go for the pilons. I was originally thinking of a wilson rod but am open to suggestions. Could you give an idea of what you have that would be suitable and roughly how much??ThanksDavid

Not sure why but my PM's aren't working!Anyway CK, I'm definitely looking for a two piece rod that is around 8 - 9 foot maximum. The reason for this is that I don't want to be carting a longer rod on wallaroo jetty and I don't stick rods out of the windows when travelling at speed, so needs to be able to split in two.Ranger, just saw the section for the rods. Can you please move this post to that section??David

David 8-9ft is a good job for the jetties, 10-12 is probably better.A lot has changed since I used to fish the jetties in search of snapper, but back then, perhaps wrongly, we would be looking for distance and the longer rods would helps with this. Another thing where the longer rods were useful was in helping to keep fish away from the jetty. Unlike now, much of the fight would be some way out from the structure, but the length of the rod helped keep the fish a good distance away for any "last ditch" attempts at freedom. However, this also had its draw backs in teh form of keeping the fish out of reach of the pole and drop gaffs we would use. Meaning the angler had to walk back to bring the line closer to the edge of the jetty. I'm not sure how others feel about that, but I never liked it as it meant I couldnt see what the gaff man of the fish were doing.Presuming also that u r landbased the longer rod will help fish places like Pt Riley & Black Point (I never fished the later, but assume its much like teh former)Where long casts and the ability to keep line away from protruding rocks etc is paramount.Best of luck with your decision making David. There is a plethera of rods out there thats for sure.

Bloody hell CK recomending the pelican pokers. If you dont want to spend money on a custom David I would get a silstar crytsal tip. They are unbreakable and you can pull hard with them. Perfect for jetties in my opinion and very cheap about $100

Thanks guys but 7 foot is a bit short for what I'm looking for. Dropped into the SFS and they have their live fibres on sale. There is a 10 foot model (two piece) which looks ok and for under $200, I think is pretty good.Now I'm trying to convince my wife for an early Chrissie present!!David

Im sure that 1 of our site sponsors could help you out mate ;)
Guest big lizard

ever tough ugly stick? Boo :thumb:, mine snapped Mark...Go with the penn power stick in a 10kg range mine has been thrashed to death and it holds up everytime i've pulled up smooth rays weighing around 150lb or more... For the $25 i payed it's been fantastic..Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys, hopefully will be able to have a look around tomorrow. I'll be looking for something that is rated to 50 pounds, as I intend to use 80 pound braid on it. My friend has this type of set up (although his rods are only around 5.5 foot) and the snaps still get off but sounds ok. One of the guys I met on the jetty the other night uses 150 pound braid - overkill in my books!!David