Hi ya all.

Am new to boat fishing & boating in general, I'm keen to do some hardy body / plastics fishing in the Port River / Barkers Inlet for Bream or Salmon Trout.

Was just wondering if I had to be very mindful of tides in Barkers Inlet (ie. can it only be fished around high tide, don't want to get stuck high & dry) ? I'm guessing the mangroves are a high tide only prospect.

Also which is the better ramp Garden Island or Largs Marina ? I'm guessing Largs, what about car security too ?

Any help would appreciated. Thanks.

by the way have just seen that since the new strike & hook website has started I have only three posts on my record I would like to let all strikehookers that I have been on this site almost since day one & would have plenty of posts up, hey bjorn, how about recognision of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're going to fish Barker inlet I'd be launching at Garden island boat ramp. I wouldn't leave my car there after dark but during the day it should be safe. I normally launch a couple of hours after low so the flats are beginning to flood, with that the salmon trout normally follow. Look for areas with fast flowing water which will attract and hold STs. i.e creek bends, Rockwell bends etc.

If you launch at Garden Island , ramp its free. Ive had no problems there, as long as you park during daylight hours. Plenty of people about to watch out for any thieving low lifes.

If your new to the area, suggest you have a good look around at low tide. All the channels, creeks in to the mangroves will be clearly seen for future reference.

This time of year is great if you want a feed of salmon trout. Fish where the mangrove creeks join the main channel. Fish the last half of the run out tide. Should get plenty.

Canoe SA put out a great little map of Barker/Angas inlets. Includes all the mangrove creeks. Can't remember where I got my copy from tho.

Had a crack for a couple of hours this morning.

Went for a bit of a look around, launched @ Largs Marina (thought they'd have wash down facilities, wrong).

Just pulled up in a random spot near the Speed Boat Club. Burleyed up & was getting hits straight away. Switched to smaller lures (Duo Tetra Works Bivi) & caught 1/2doz. Salmon Trout, couple of undersize gar & whiting. (all on the Duo which was a first for me).

Then took the paint off the bottom of the motor on the way in, in the mud.

Was a beautiful day out.