Abu Amassadeur pro rocket

Abu is a funny company, they don't seem to make it easy to decipher the differences in their many model variations. I've tried to figure out the difference between rockets, pro rockets and standard C3 Abus before, including asking around on some of the US forums where many guys seem to know a fair bit about them. No one was really able to tell me definitively what the difference in construction and subsequent casting performance was, other than obvious external features.

The pro rocket has the left-side spool tension adjustment, wheras the C3s do not, but apart from being able to adjust how centered the spool is, I see no obvious benefit to casting performance. Looking at the scematics there seems to be very little internal differences, same number and placement of bearings and spindle design. The one thing that can defintely increase casting performance is the elimination of the levelwind (CT versions) but all the pro rockets I have seen are levelwind (CS versions).

In the end, the inference is that the pro rocket is a better casting reel, but the C3 is a great casting reel as well and I couldn't find any good reason to pay a fair bit extra for the pro rocket. Hope that my ramblings are helpful.

Here's an interesting thread from a catfishing forum in the US, apparently another difference with pro rockets is some have a heavier duty frame, but some don't. :unsure:

http://catfishingpro.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1498

Warning, this may result in more confusion than clarity.

Perhaps it's just that Swedish doesn't translate well, maybe that's why Ikea instructions are only pictures. :lol:

cheers for the input so far lads......abu have made it clear as mud though hey.

I was thinking of getting a pro rocket but cannot justify how they are that much better from the other abu's,

im wanting maximum distance from my reel and my 6500 c3 does a fairly  good job in the right conditions, just curious if these rockets

are in another league or is it all talk. What is making them better.

If you want to optimize distance than go for a non-levelwind reel (if you don't need the levelwind, they are handy for lure fishing). The spinning spool powers the levelwind mechanism and therefore steals a lot of the spool's energy. If you really want a levelwind you can get bearing upgrades for Abus that replace the bushings on either side of the worm gear which will help a bit.

Otherwise go for a CT Abu or one of the many other good distance casting reels like Akios, Daiwa 7HT or Penn Squall 12 or 15. You can also get a CT frame to replace the frame on your current Abu.

Have a search around online, heaps of good articles on tuning a reel for distance. ;)

This might give you a little more insight into ABU's

Enjoy .................... :D

ABU Insight

A = Small arbor spool, larger line capacity than the standard spool (for example 5000A)

AB = Anti-backlash, (for example 5600AB)

B = Small arbor spool, larger line capacity and a line out alarm (for example 5000B)

C = Reel has 2 ball bearings in the spool or around the spool axle depending on spool design

CI = Reel produced for Independent dealers

C3 = Reel has two ball bearings in the spool plus a one-way roller bearing for the anti-reverse (the 7000C3/7500C3 reels have two ball bearings at the ends of the spool axle plus a third ball bearing around the crank shaft)

C4 = Reel has two ball bearings in the spool, one ball bearing in the level wind plus a one-way roller bearing for the anti-reverse

C5 = The reel has two ball bearings in the spool, two ball bearings in the level wind plus a one-way roller bearing for the anti-reverse

CB = Self-centering – disengaging level wind (for example 4600CB) 1980’s

CS = C stands for ball bearings, the S is short for "Sports", as in "6500C Sports Rocket

CT = Non level wind model

D = Direct drive - Drag works only when your hand is off the handle grips. (For example 5000D)

DA = Direct drive with palming side plate

DL = Deluxe = Gold plated model

GR = Graphite construction

HCL = The H stands for High-speed, the CL for ball bearings and level wind, as in "Big Game 6500HCL"

HS = High speed reel

HSI = High Speed with Infini spool design

HSN = High speed narrow frame reel

IAR = Instant Anti Reverse (for example 2500CIAR)

IVCB = Infinitely Variable Centrifugal Brake

J-speed = the "J" stands for Japan, the J-speeds (8000/9000/10000) are high-speed saltwater reels made for the Japanese market.

L = Level wind (for example 6500CL, 9000CL; originally used for the 9000CL and 10000CL to indicate that those models had a level wind.

LC = Line counter reel

LD = Lever drag reel

LDN = Lever drag reel with narrow frame

SP = Sprint 6.3:1 gear ratio

ST = Striper model

W = Winch 3.8:1 gear ratio

Abu Garcia reels come in the following sizes:

1x00, 2x00, 3x00, 4x00, 5x00, 6x00, 7x00, 8x00, 9000, 10000. The 7x00 and up models are larger reels, with the 7x00 holding 300 yds of

Berkley Big Game 25# line and the 10000 holding well over 300 yds of Big Game 40# line.

The X in the size when replaced with a 5 represents a push button free spool release model and a 6 is a thumbar free spool release model.

Note that other size designations have been used. For example the 521/522/523, 821/822/823 or 1021/1022 made during the eighties, or the

Ultra Mag I, II, III, IV, V, VI. "1" or "I" means a 4000-size reel, a "2" or "II" means a 5000-size reel, a "3" or "III" means a 6000-size reel and so on up.

:headbang:  :headbang:  :headbang: