EPIC Greenly Island samson jigging

Hey guys,

As some of you on here may know, a few of us from this forum just came back from a 3 day live aboard charter with Absolute Fishing Charters.  We all had an amazing time with loads of fish caught.  In the near future we will post a detailed report with more videos and pics, but in the meantime here's a vid I've put together from some of the action from the second day where 42 Samson fish were brought on board (and released) with at least 10 bust offs amongst us.

Enjoy...... oh, and one last thing, apologies up front because the "F-bomb" gets dropped a few times throughout the video :blink: .... however I'm sure you can appreciate we were all pretty excited on the day hooking onto these hard pulling monster!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayko0IDLCZA&feature=youtu.be

Stay tuned for the detailed report coming soon!!

Majority of the rods where Saltigas, except I was using a Catalina, and Stormboy a Monster Mesh.

Skipper was using a Samaki Vanquish, he rated it highly when matched to his Saltiga expedition spinner.

We all commented  about the type of tackle needed for this type of fishing, lesser gear may knock over a fish or 2, but I reckon after a hectic session like that, only the best would still be working at the end of it.

Skipper and decky had plenty of stories about broken gear, some of it expected, some it not

We all commented  about the type of tackle needed for this type of fishing, lesser gear may knock over a fish or 2, but I reckon after a hectic session like that, only the best would still be working at the end of it.

I agree 100% with what Ale has written above.  However, just to put things into perspective and avoid people being "turned off" doing these sorts of charters thinking "only" high end equipment is needed, it's probably not totally the case - more so "quality" equipment. 

For example, I did the same charter 4 years ago and took a $30 "ebay special" 15-24kg glass rod (sambo elite) matched up to a Daiwa Saltist 40LW.  The rod brought in 30+ fish over the 3 days, and I still have it in one piece in my rod rack. 

Most on here would know that the Saltist range of Daiwa stuff isn't in the same league as say the Saltiga stuff, however they are still a good quality bit of gear (in my humble opinion), and the same Saltist overhead I used on the charter 4 years ago, was the same reel used this time that you see in the vids.  Maybe I just got lucky :ph34r: , but my Saltist has been through hell and back and is as good as gold.  Hell, it's even a levelwind model which is supposedly a "no no" for jigging.... 

There is a but however.....

The higher end stuff is soooo much nicer and friendlier to use!  On this charter I used a Saltiga rod with the Saltist reel.  It was beautiful to use in comparison to the ebay rod! (there is no comparison, really)  Nice and light which allowed me to jig fish harder and for longer, it was designed and built for the purpose of jigging and I had the upmost confidence that almost any fish I hooked could be handled by the rod.  Throughout the trip I was also lucky enough to try out the other guys rods and reels (spin reels), which were Catalina's, Certates , Stella's and Saltiga's.  They are just simply super nice to use (compared to my lower end spin stuff I have :unsure: ) and inspire confidence.  It's hard to explain until you've had the opportunity to compare...

Long story (sorry!), but I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you can catch these types of fish without having to take a mortgage out on fishing tackle - buy the best you can afford.  Choosing the right tackle on this sort of trip though and not skimping too much on quality IMO would be a fine line between having an awesome trip and catching a fish of a lifetime, or a trip that ends in tears because your gear catastrophically fails on day one, on your first hook up.

I hope that makes sense :wacko:      

To add onto what rotare said, I had a Catalina 5000 matched with a monter mesh rod PE5-6 and reel would turn 180deg in the reel seat after the first fish. Yet Ryan running the charter uses them for his clients when they don't bring a rod and has never had a problem. I understand that a monster mesh isn't really high end but to have it break after 1 fish (and a fair amount of jigging) just goes to show how much strain they are put under.

Interesting topic.

I take the view that if you're fishing a light to medium drag say 6kg to 12kg then a medium priced reel such as the shimano saragosa or daiwa saltist is fine and should last years.

Fishing heavier drags say from 13kg to 20kg then its best to go for a premium reel such as the shimano stella or daiwa saltiga.

Both daiwa and shimano have  cut some corners with their latest model "super" reels. The new models are still great reels and do the job but don't have the same build quality as their predecessors.

If you can get your hands on them the Saltiga Z model and the 2008 Stella model are the ducks guts of high end spinning reels.