Snyder Glas original vs Made by wilson

Hi toney,

I recently bought a  Regal 7177 / 2  and am very impressed with it. Still made in Aust according to BCF website..

Never had one of the old rods to compare it to but this thing seems nicely made and effortlessly casts

an absolute mile.  [diawa windcast with 30lb sufix mono]

If it's one of these 7177's you're looking at I don't think you would be disappointed.

The only downside was the price. I was ruminating over it for months hoping for a sale

but eventually paid the $279 retail. A lot of money for a peasant like I'm.

BCF at Mt Barker have/ had   a 7177 / 2  piece with a broken top eye marked down to about 240. [just the eye, glass was ok]

If thats the model you want and do a bit of binding etc maybe you can beat them down some more.

If you want to see how you like casting one contact me and I can meet you somewhere so you can try it b4

you fork out all those fins.

Cheers

Hi bud,

I got an old original 5120 snyder in overhead. Purchased originally over 20 years ago when the shop was full of custom builds. My blank has been sanded and not your typical broomstick tip either. Reason I bought this stick was due to being tippy enough to fish for big salmon or mullies. Very close to a sabre 540 kind of stick in my opinion.I remember going through the all the customs when purchased and all the others were nothing like this particular one. Tippy but tuff as nails.

I never really knew what it was until recently it got refurbished by status rods,wouldn't part with it now.Hope you find one bud,cheers

I have an original 5120 overhead too mate...sanded blank just like yours....I have 1 in spin also...great rods... I was just curious as to what people thought/comparisons to the new snyders by Wilson.

I ended up getting a 7153... chris_64... I wanted a large fiberglass surf rod for sharks and mullies (if im lucky) in summer...for lobbing out dirty chunks of bait/big livies

I thought about getting my 5120's extended but decided to keep them as is, as they are wicked as is.

i paid 210 for it...I felt it was worth it....Wilson and Snyder are both quality in my opinion.

They do look similar to the originals, and I actually contacted Wilson out of curiosity, who said they are making them as closely as they can to the original specs.

• 3 years later...