wierdest baits tried

This is going back a while now, but the dad and grandparents keep telling me of fishing for Tommies at Ardrossan - everybody bagging out so much that the bait store ran out of gents. They grabbed a packet of coco pops and they were smashing that down too!

Went fishing with the old man once and we weren't sure if we'd go for carp or down the road for bream. We ended up going for bream and dad thought he'd use corn, I thought he was crazy but he scored a decent bream. Turns out bream will go for that kinda thing if they're hungry enough so not all that weird.

I might suggest that he tries pitted olives next time :lol:

A bit of muesli bar worked for me on a bream once I ran out of bait down the Onk.

Also a mate landed an undersized sweep on a starburst lolly.

Really need to know what flavours Kman, dont want to go through a whole packet of lollies to find the right one.

Not a weird bait but we used to catch tommies on bare hooks, probably as they shone like a little lure.

Really need to know what flavours Kman, dont want to go through a whole packet of lollies to find the right one.

Not a weird bait but we used to catch tommies on bare hooks, probably as they shone like a little lure.

I'm pretty sure it was purple and yellow rattlesnakes Poppa Snake. Care to test this out in Sunday on the Wrong Spot??

Fritz and cheese on carp, have also caught a cod on cheese, and cheese also attracts shrimp.

Dried dog food in yabby nets, gets yabbies and baby carp, which when frozen a mate has then used successfully as mully lollies.

Soap in shrimp pots, unscented Velvet brand works best and doesn't go mushy after being in the water a long time.

And I have heard stories of the old days on the Murray when folks would make cod lures out of rubber thongs.

Haven't tried it myself but..... :P

Remember being told that back in the day the old guys fishing for squid from Brighton jetty and Marino Rocks would get them by putting a potato on a jag instead of using whole tommies.  Apparently this was the way it was done back then, not a case of "oops, ran out of bait".  A friend of mine years ago caught two of the biggest sand crabs I have ever seen down Noarlunga jetty on chewed up Hubba Bubba.  First time we thought it was a fluke and he casts it back out and within 5 minutes he caught another one.  

I feel a hundred yrs old after reading Polonius' comments . I used to catch squid off Grange jetty with a piece of spud when I was a kid in the 70's. The older guys [ I was only 8 or so ] would float out the heads and catch Barracouta, in winter IIRC.  A bit off topic but there used to be allsorts of stuff caught at Grange back then. Elephant fish were so abundant I saw 2 caught in crab nets on seperate occasions. Saw a few wobbegongs caught there too, and gummys, and schnapper. One night a guy pulled up a Melbourne Skate the

lads estimated was 300lb+, I was only about 10 so I'm not sure what it weighed but it took 3 guys with 2 flying gaffs to pull it up onto the ramp. The weirdest thing I saw was a cluster of "goose barnacles" my brother found on the beach.  My mum bred tropical fish so she managed to keep them alive for about a week in an aquaruim. They were some weird-ass critters to see live in a tank ! :)