Daiwa Saltist Hyper

Hey guys,

Is anyone using the relatively new Daiwa saltist hyper rods?? I had a play with one at my local on the weekend and they seem to be well constructed, light and support a very reasonable price of $180.

Before I buy one as my snapper rod, would like some feedback... im looking at the following two rods, paired with a daiwa blast 3520 or Seagate hyper 3500, running some good 20-30lb braid.. Not sure which way to go.

BJ66XHS Spin 2 198cm Light Regular 60-150g PE 0.6 – 1.5 BJ66XXHS Spin 2 198cm Medium Regular 90-180g PE 0.8 – 2.0

Cheers.

Iv'e recently picked up the 64cj model matched to a Certate 3500hd for my Snapper duties.

I only got it over the Demon Blood because of the blue colour to match my reel lol. Great rod.

Is the BJ models out yet? Daiwa states it being released in spring.

• 8 months later...

Just an update, for anyone looking at one... I ended up picking up the new Daiwa Saltist Extreme (saltist hyper's big brother) last night from Ray and Annes. Got the 64CJS-2/4 which is PE2-4, got a really nice, smooth action and is very light weight. Comes with Fuji Sic SUS guides, X45 blank etc.

http://www.daiwafishing.com.au/saltist-extreme-rods/

They retail for $400, so not the cheapest rod but they seem to be off a seriously good quality.. cant wait to roll some snapps with it :) will post pics etc once I do.

cheers.

Nice rod! I have the Blast BL BJ66XXHB which is similar to the Saltist BJ66XXHS Spin 2 198cm Medium Regular 90-180g PE 0.8 – 2.0 but mines an overhead. Matched to a Daiwa Pluton and 20lb Suffix 832 its got plenty of poke. It's similar specs to the blue Gomoku but a little stiffer. Nowhere near as nice as your Saltist extreme, but I can vouch that its got enough grunt for all but the biggest snapper.

Haven't used it with soft plastics as yet (prefer spin rods for SP's). Only really used it with Octo style jigs to date. Like all micro jig type set ups, bigger fish tend to dictate terms of the fight until they tire out a bit and you can pump them up from depth. Will be slop lining some SP's next opportunity as I've caught some nice snapper in mid water before with this method when baits are on the bottom.

Sorry, forgot it was overhead. But yeah great rod for bottom bashing!  I've just gone out and bought some 30g and 45g Octo jigs and some black magic "snapper snatchers", cant wait to give these a go when my boat arrives.

Have you found the best way to use octo jigs is to just throw them over and put the rod in the holder and let the boat/waves work the jig? cheers.